“My least favorite Marriott Experience”

Charlotte Marriott City Center
Ranked #22 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
Bolton, Massachusetts
“My least favorite Marriott Experience”
Reviewed 6 March 2014

I am typically a huge Marriott fan, but this time I was not impressed. I now realize I paid about double the price for a room as was a big basketball weekend. Valet service was not available the entire weekend, they said they were full several time; yet we saw plenty of empty spaces? They were kind enough to comp the overnight parking, which did impress me. The beds were comfortable, as always and we got a good first night sleep. The next day we were gone most of the day and returned at 6pm to find room was not cleaned. I called house keeping and they said they were very busy. (Really? If I'm paying double the price for a room and you booked all these rooms, make sure you have staff to support!) We came home later and found room clean, but noted an awful looking pillow case was used. Almost looked like someone stomped all over it and then put it on our bed. Overall, I was not overjoyed with my experience and will not be returning to that particular Marriott. Note: Most staff was very friendly as they normally are...

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Anajap
Charlotte M, Manager at Charlotte Marriott City Center, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
We would like to thank you for taking your time to let us know about your experience during your stay in our hotel. We are very disappointed to hear, that your visit was inconvenienced by parking and housekeeping services. We sincerely apologize, as we strive to deliver the best hospitality experience to all our guests at all times. We hope that in the future, we will be able to have the pleasure of your visit again, and we will be able to show you the level of service that Marriott is well known for.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Cary, North Carolina
Reviewed 25 February 2014

I typically don't stay at full service hotels often, but during a snow storm in CLT my options were limited. First, this is a great location...walking distance to many restaurants downtown. Checkin was easy, i opted for valet because of weather. I think the cost was around $20. Checkin was easy, and room very nice. Small, but had everything you needed. The store in the lobby was large and had anything you might need. It is also a Starbucks. Room service was pretty fast and tasted good. Overall a great stay, although pricey for one night.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Met expectation as far as room, amenities, and staff. The elite lounge was very nice, with excellent snack options and service.

For most this is a non-issue and the remainder of this review should be disregarded. Full service Marriott hotels typically have a nice Entertainment bar to plug in devices (HDMI, Video, Audio etc). I actually left the Courtyard a few blocks away due to their policy not allowing any external devices to connect to TV). Unfortunately you cannot connect external devices here as well. Engineers tested and confirmed this after moving me to multiple rooms (side note - Marriott South Park had no issues with connectivity). So if you have family and want to keep kids entertained with any devices you want to connect to TV, go somewhere else. I feel that I live at Marriott hotels and I appreciate their consistency, but disappointed with this minor issue.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
charlotte
Reviewed 16 February 2014

We stayed at the Marriott for Valentines Day. This was one of the only hotels with rooms available on Valentines Day. I was very impressed with the place as we entered the hotel. After check-in we had a drink in the hotel wine bar and then went to Epicentre for dinner (block away) so we didn't experience all the hotel had. The sports bar looked nice and the pool looked very cool. There is a Starbucks coffee that is located in the lobby so that was very nice. The room was very clean looking and bed was comfortable. My only complain was a musty smell in the room. It appeared there was a wet spot on the floor that could have been the cause. I would fault the hotel for this and it wasn't bad enough to complain. But if i was staying more then a night i would have had my room changed. Overall a great place to stay.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
BsAs
Reviewed 13 February 2014 via mobile

Having been stranded un Charlotte fue to the snow storm that hit the east, I found myself in this great hotel, getting the warmest welcome by the friendliest staff ever!
Rooms are spacy, comfortable desk to work, good linen, good mattress and down pillows. Ordered in room service and was again was greeted by good service and lovely teriyaki salmon salad and sorbets. Wish I could come here more
Often!!

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 28 January 2014

My wife and I were on our first "Staycation" since our kids were born 3 years ago. We spent the additional money to get a corner room with a King-size bed. We checked in only to find that were were given a standard room right by the elevator. One call alter, the staff apologized and instead of fighting with us, offered us the top floor presidential suite. The suite was fantastic and the staff all around was very attentive. It was nice to not have to worry about battling with the reservation team as happens most of the time when these mishaps happen. The room was wonderful and clean, and the overall experience was one to be remembered.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CharlotteJoe
Ship Bottom, New Jersey
Reviewed 22 January 2014

The staff, and appointments are some of the best in Charlotte, and rank in the top three Marriott's I have stayed worldwide. Nothing left to chance. Great facilities, the YMCA is across a skybridge, shopping downstairs, great sports bar.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business