“Not Impressed”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Erie, PA
“Not Impressed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2011

It was our first time visiting Charlotte and only stayed at this hotel due to the wedding block being reserved here. Our first encounter with a staff member was when my grandmother forgot the key to her suit case and someone came and clipped it off for her, which was very helpful. The next was when I had to call the front desk due to a dirty towel being put with the clean linens. It was not just stained, it was clearly dirty with brown lines and even some sort of chunks of something on it. The guy picked it up at the door, no apology, no nothing. Took it and walked away. The final and worst experience was when I called the front desk to tell them they put the wedding gift(chocolate covered strawberries-etc) in the WRONG ROOM. It was placed in my room(not under either of the married couples name which was boggling). I then called to inform them this was mixed up and the lady on the other end of the phone was extremely unconcerned and frankly was very rude. Finally 30 minutes later, after the bride and groom were already in their room, the stuff was taken up to them. A nice surprise which should have been in there before they were, was ruined. Awaiting our airport shuttle, we encountered the cab drivers and your taxi service arguing with each other over who was going to take us to the airport, which was so unprofessional, and made us all very uncomfortable. I would never stay here again, I have worked in a hotel now for over three years and never expected to be treated that way when I was nicely informing them of a mistake that was made, not to mention the nasty towel that I put my hand on.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
gsimon, General Manager at Hilton Charlotte Center City, responded to this review, 23 August 2011
Thank you for staying with us recently and for providing us your valuable comments.

I was happy to hear that your first interaction with our staff was a positive one. I apologize that we failed to follow through on your other requests.

I was disappointed to hear that one of our housekeeping team members left a dirty towel in your guest room and when the towel was replaced we did not provide an apology. It was also disappointing to hear that we delivered an amenity to the wrong room and that it took us longer than it should have to correct the situation.

I will also address the issue with the cab drivers and taxi service that occurred during your departure.

It’s great to hear that you yourself work in the hotel industry and you have a passion for excellence which I and my staff of 175 team members share with you.

I hope you give Hilton and our hotel another opportunity to share our passion with you as I am confident that we meet and exceed your expectations on your second visit to our city. Please feel free to contact me so I may personally handle your reservation.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Munich
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2011

although the hotel was absolutely perfect i have to mention the horrible airport transportation.. never waited so long and called the reservation about three times. just stayed 1 night as i missed my flight to pbi. got an airline discount and can´t complain about anything. clean and comfortable.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
gsimon, General Manager at Hilton Charlotte Center City, responded to this review, 24 August 2011
Thank you for staying with us during your short visit to Charlotte. I glad to hear that our hotel was absolutely perfect and that you found it to be clean & comfortable.
Would it be possible for you to email me at glenn.simon@hilton.com with more details regarding your airport transportation experience? Our hotel does not provide airport transportation but if we receive a request for airport transportation we contact a local company to provide the transportation. We only want to be contacting those transportation companies that provide superior guest service.
I hope that the next time your plans bring you back to our beautiful city you choose to stay with us again.
Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2011

Hotel was clean (except for the one coffee wrapper that stayed behind my desk the whole time. Guess the maids never saw it. I didn't use any of the coffee/tea items). Staff was friendly, check-in was VERY FAST and easy. Was there with a convention and usually would expect long lines. Was checked in within 15 minutes from the time I walked in the door. Parking was easy, albeit a little high for my budget ($14/day self park), but the parking garage was easily accessible. VERY comfy bed. Didn't eat in the hotel restaurant because they didn't post their prices except for teh breadkfast buffet. There were plenty of places fairly close by to eat.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
Thank you for staying with us during your recent visit and for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback. I was glad to hear that you found our staff friendly, the hotel clean, our beds comfortable and the parking accessible. I hope you return and have a chance to enjoy our breakfast buffet which is priced at $15 and offers the best value in the city. The parking garage is not operated by our hotel having said that, it offers very competitive rates compared to other parking options in the center city area.
Thank you again for staying with us and I hope we have the pleasure to serve you in the near future.
Columbia, South Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2011

Researched online for a downtown hotel....settled on the Hilton based on reviews. The
first thing that went wrong was our room was not ready at 3 pm due to late check out by a group......after several phone calls and finally showing up at the hotel....our room was ready at 530pm. Next, my poor, bleeding eyeballs... the interior design and colors were ghastly!!! Purple and red? for real? terrible...I thought it was the LA Laker hotel.. purple and gold. Never felt a sense of relaxation...colors where assaulting to the senses...Double room was very tight. Beds were very comfy...no fridge was a head scratcher for me....Seems worn down even after recent remodel...All in all to bear the Hilton name maybe a new name is better the Jilton!!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Thank you for staying with us and for providing us with your valuable comments. We sincerely apologize that we were not able to check you in upon your arrival.

The hotel was refurbished about 3 years ago and while unconventional, the color scheme was selected to provide a unique, modern and memorable pallet for our guests. I am sorry that it did not coincide with your taste and preferences. The hotel is also planning to install refrigerators in all of our guestrooms in the near future as we have had other guests provide the same valuable feedback to us.

Your loyalty to the Hilton family is greatly appreciated and I hope you will give Hilton and our hotel another opportunity to serve you.
Vero Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2011

I needed close access to the convention center and this was SO easy. I didn't have to pay again to park at the convention center since it was a 5 minute walk there. Check in was a breeze; the clerk was very sweet and helpful. The room was beautiful and comfortable. The bathroom was modern and attractive. The area of the hotel is great; convenient walking distance to many restaurants, the Belk Theater, the Mint Museum, and more. I'd stay there again!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
Thank you for staying with us during your recent visit and for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback. I’m so happy to hear that you found our front desk staff sweet & helpful, that the room was beautiful and the bathroom very modern. Our hotel has a great location just a ½ block to the Convention Center and within a few blocks of over 50 restaurants, museums, theaters, the NASCAR Hall of Fame, Time Warner Arena the home of the NBA Charlotte Bobcats and Bank of America Stadium the home of the NFL Panthers.
We look forward to serving you when your travel plans bring you back to our beautiful city.
Phoenix, Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2011

One of those trips gone kind of wrong thanks to a horrible hotel experience because it was early in the summer heat/humidity wave. We have never been so disappointed in a Hilton so I'll skip the minor issues and get to the root of this review. The main issues were the room we got had a non-functioning air-conditioning system which was clogged internally with so much dirt and lint that the coils couldn't transfer cooling from the chill water supply. Maintenance was called out and asked us to come back in 45min while they corrected it. Their fix was to blow the dirt and filth off of the coils... and you guessed it - right into our room. When we returned we found the AC blowing cold air but our clothes, suitcases, personal effects including my $10K Nikon camera and lenses along with other misc. equipment were covered with filth and the debris in the air was absolutely appaling. There was zero attempt to clean it before it we were told to re-occupy the room. My daughter has asthma so we had to leave the room. They moved us from a low floor to one floor from the top. This room wasn't cooling much better but with the activities in town all rooms were filled and nothing else in town had openings. This new room gave us reserved access to the snacks and lounge for the "exclusive guests" which was kind of nice and we were also credited for the nightmare experience with free nights but this was essentially our last Hilton. We did cash in the free stay offered by utilizing the Hilton in Huntington Beach but that less than glorious review will follow shortly. Hilton - I've used your hotels around the world and you continue to provide a downward spiraling experience that has driven us away from your locations. Your management was reluctant to help at first and seemed to be really upset that we demanded maintenance at 10pm at night to fix a problem that should have never occured in the first place. I hope you have trained your maintenance personnel the proper way to maintain HVAC systems for buildings and that your systems are at last clean and spotless inside those little wall panels just inside everybody's room door.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
gsimon, General Manager at Hilton Charlotte Center City, responded to this review, 16 August 2011
Thank you for staying with us and for providing us with your valuable comments. I sincerely apologize that your air conditioning was not functioning properly and that once we completed the repairs, we failed to clean up properly. I was also disappointed to hear that one of my team members was reluctant to assist you at first but I pleased that you were eventually provided with an upgrade to an Executive Level guest room, access to our Executive Lounge and credited with free nights. I hold my team members to the highest standards but realize at times something may not work or our service fails and when this happens I do expect my team members to compensate our guests which I am glad to see occurred. We change the filters in the air conditioning units in each guest rooms every 4 months and we discovered that we had missed your guest room during the time you stayed at our hotel. We have just completed changing the air filters in the entire hotel for the second time this year. Your loyalty to the Hilton family is greatly appreciated and I hope you give Hilton and our hotel another opportunity to serve you.
Winston Salem, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2011

Some friends and I decided very last minute to take a weekend trip to Charlotte. We wanted to spring for a very nice hotel in Uptown so we blind booked a four star hotel through Priceline and got the Hilton.
I admit that I initially had buyer’s remorse after reading about the hotel. Everything had a fee. I was pleasantly surprised but a little annoyed when we arrived to learn that some of the fees do not apply on the weekends. For example the pool, which is the connecting building, had a fee according to Hilton’s website so I didn’t bring a bathing suite only to learn the fee doesn’t apply on the weekends. The Internet has a fee during the weekdays but not on the weekends. This was not spelled out anywhere online. I was not surprised that there was a valet fee but the amount was not correctly listed. Expedia said $20 a day, Hilton said $25 and it turned out to be $15. It’s probability only on weekends.

In summary:

Pros:
· Amazing Bed with soft clean linens. Perfect pillows.
· Location, Location, Location! We walked everywhere.
· HOT water and great pressure in the shower even on the 15th floor.
· Fast elevators.
· Extra large soft towels.
· Valet parking was fast and efficient.
· Half-n-half included with the in-room coffee.

Cons:
· No fridge, we brought a cooler with us.
· No Microwave, we ate our leftovers cold.
· The service at the front desk was excellent BUT there was only one person
checking people in at 9:00 Friday night. For such a huge hotel that is just
stupid. It took forever to get checked in and we felt a bit rushed so we
weren’t told where anything was in the hotel.
· There was a concierge desk that was never manned. We had questions we
would have liked to ask about where to go and what to do but the only
person available was the lady on the front desk who was always busy.

In summary, I’m very glad we booked the room at a discount because otherwise I would be very disappointed. I admit I don’t have a lot of experience with four-star hotels but I had a certain level of expectation, such as a fridge, microwave, and concierge. It’s hard to justify to myself spending the kind of money this hotel normally commands when I can stay at a lower star hotel and get a fridge, microwave, pool, internet and parking without worrying about extra fees. That being said, the pros outweigh the cons and knowing what to expect, my friends and I agree that we would stay there again.

Room Tip: Booked room on Priceline for $70, but there are parking fees.