“It works.” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Charleston, South Carolina
“It works.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2012

I stayed overnight in August 2012 for a football game. The price of the hotel is comparable to others in the area and I found the value for what we got to be great! The location is FANTASTIC! It was 5 blocks from the stadium, and a block to the Epicenter. The room was nice and clean, the bed was comfortable. There were a total of 10 pillows in our room which I found amazing for a hotel, but they were all super soft and squishy - maybe a mix of soft and firm would be better.
Included in our stay is free use of the YMCA which is at the hotel complex. We did not use it because we didn't have time on Saturday and Sunday it is closed, but I think it is a good thing to point out.
Parking is ridiculous! I was charged $16 by the hotel to park overnight in the shared lot below the hotel. Most other lots I have used are $10 and under. I was even more upset by the price to park when we left the garage the next day, our total only came to $5.50! Apparently it is cheaper to park there during the weekend, but the hotel does not price accordingly.
Overall, I would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
gsimon, General Manager at Hilton Charlotte Center City, responded to this review, 18 August 2012
Dear Jessica B: Thank you for your review of your recent stay, I appreciate your honest feedback about your experience while at our hotel. I was glad to hear that you enjoyed your guest room & our convenient location just 5 blocks to the football stadium & a block to the Epicenter. I understand your concern about the parking price and wanted to explain. Most of the lots in the area did not offer overnight parking – only day parking at a rate as you stated of $10 on weekends. The garage connected to the hotel is not owned by the hotel and they do offer a day rate on most weekends of only $5 but the overnight rate is $20. If you were charged only $5 for overnight parking than you were fortunate. I truly hope that I was able to answer the discrepancy in the pricing. I really do think the Carolina Panthers are going to have a great season. Please let me know will be staying with us later this year for a Panthers Home football game.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Columbus, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2012

There was no way around paying a fortune even though the room is reasonably priced. I would've considered spending money on a movie, or some room service, if I didn't feel like every dollar was squeezed out of my wallet. Parking, a pool, the internet... how is wifi not free in 2012?! Completely ridiculous. Never staying here again.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Dear Jamie B: Thank you for your review of your recent stay, I sincerely appreciate your honest feedback about your experience while at our hotel. I truly hate that you did not enjoy your stay. Your review provides feedback that our hotel team needs to re-evaluate guest needs and meet guest expectation as far as pricing& amenities. I did want to make you aware that there is no charge for the pool; guests of the hotel have complimentary use of the 50,000 sq. foot YMCA with an Olympic size lap pool that is connected to our hotel. We do charge a daily rate of $9.95 for internet and we just completed a $200,000 upgrade to provide better wireless coverage throughout the hotel and expand the bandwidth. Being a center city location, parking can be expensive, in fact we did not own the garage and the rate our guests are charged is a discount from the regular price. We hope to have the opportunity to provide a great hotel stay to you in the future.
Charleston, West Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2012

My husband & I stayed at the Hilton Charlotte Center City en route to Hilton Head Island. We booked our stay through Priceline and received the hotel for a steal! The hotel is located just a block or two from the Epicenter where there are tons of restaurants and a WONDERFUL piano bar. Check out the piano bar!!! We had absolutely no complaints regarding the hotel. The only downfall was the internet was down the night we stayed but we were on vacation so we shouldn't be checking e-mail anyhow. :o)

Wonderful hotel Hilton!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Dear Kelly B: Thank you so much for your feedback! I’m so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I do apologize that the internet service was not working the evening of your stay. We look forward to your next stay with us!
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2012

i was all set to give this hotel an excellent review until the morning we checked out.
first, let me start with the positives, the location is great for walking to the panthers stadium (we were there for a game), and you could also walk to the bobcats arena or the NASCAR museum if you wanted to. there were also lots of restaurants and bars within a few blocks of the hotel, so great for nightlife, etc.
the room was clean, had a big flat screen tv and a super comfy bed.
we booked the "parking package", so we had valet included on our stay. those guys were great, both when we checked in and checked out. i wish i didn't have to group them in this review because they were polite and helpful with the car.
unfortunately, our trip ended poorly. the morning we checked out i ordered breakfast from room service a little after 9am. we ordered two standard breakfasts (eggs, sausage, toast) and some fruit. i was told our food would be delivered to our room within 25 minutes. an hour later still no food. when i called back down to room service, the girl said it should be there any minute. i told her i no longer wanted the food because it was time to check out and we wouldn't be able to enjoy it. twenty minutes later, the food showed up. there were all sorts of ridiculous up charges (like $6 for the coffee-which was supposed to be included, a delivery fee-which seems a little repetitive for "room service"). i told the girl we didn't want the food and wouldn't be paying for it, because after and hour and a half, it was time for us to check out and we didn't have time to eat it. but, the card we left when we checked in was still charged for the most expensive breakfast we didn't get to eat.
like i said before, if that incident had not happened, i would have given an excellent review of this hotel. if you do stay here, just make sure that you go across the street to the Panera for breakfast.

1 Thank Sarah T
Dear Sarah T: Thank you for your review of your recent stay, I appreciate your honest feedback about your experience while at our hotel. I truly apologize that your room service breakfast order took so long to arrive to your room and that after you told us you did not want it -- we still charged you for it. I researched what happened and one of our team members accidently wrote down the wrong guest room and your order was delivered to a vacant room. When you called down again we had to re-start your order so that if was fresh and you were not suppose to be charged. I will contact you directly so that I can remove the room service charge from your bill. I was glad to read that other than the room service incident that you enjoyed our hotel & city. Once again, I truly apologize and we hope to have the opportunity to provide a great hotel stay to you in the future.
Rochester, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2012

The City Center Hilton is very conveniently-located one block from the Convention Center, and near a lot of sit-down dining and fast-food options. Overall, it is clean and comfortable. The Y across the walkway on the third floor is a little nicer than the usual exercise room, so I'd call that a plus. Its use was complimentary for HHonors (as was the Internet) but check whether they are included in your own deal. The breakfast was quite good and reasonably priced, although I'd suggest they offer a bigger selection of breads. The service at the hotel and restaurant was friendly. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
gsimon, General Manager at Hilton Charlotte Center City, responded to this review, 10 August 2012
Dear Mark B: Thank you for staying with us and for your review! I’m so glad you enjoyed your stay with us! We’ll definitely look into offering a larger selection of breads, and thank you for the suggestion. Hope to have you stay with us again in the near future! All the best!
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2012

My husband and I recently stayed here and our stay was wonderful. Every staff member that we encountered gave exceptional customer service and were polite and friendly. The room was immaculate and quiet and the beds were VERY comfortable. I will definitely recommend this hotel to anyone going to the Charlotte area. I look forward to staying here again as we travel to Charlotte often and will make this our hotel of choice.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear Melissa M: Thank you so much for your feedback! I’m thrilled to hear that our hotel is your hotel of choice. We look forward to your next stay with us! All the best!
Palo Alto, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2012

The Hilton Charlotte City Center was perhaps the quietest room that I've ever stayed in. There was no noise from next door, no noise from the hallway or the outside, and the air conditioner was virtually silent. That was on top of a well furnished room. It all worked to provide an excellent night's sleep and an excellent place to work during the day.

The room was good sized, including, in addition to a king bed, a very large desk, a comfortable chair and a large settee. It had a refrigerator, an in-room safe and a large surface for luggage. A large flat-screen television hung on the wall over the desk. Everything was new, of modern design and very clean. The bed was comfortable, with fresh, clean linens.

The bathroom had very modern fixtures. The shower (no tub) was a walk-in affair that was big enough to have a party in. Everything there was clean and in good working order. Plenty of plush, huge bath sheets were provided.

Wireless internet was available in the room and worked just fine. For our business conference the normal fee was waived.

The staff we encountered were all very friendly. We had a couple of very good meals at the cafe in the lobby, the Coastal Kitchen and Bar. The hotel is located adjacent to the Charlotte Convention center. An abundance of good restaurants are within walking distance. The adjacent very large YWCA fitness center is available for hotel guests to use. The Charlotte Trolly line stops right outside the back door of the hotel.

We had a very comfortable stay.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank swj
gsimon, General Manager at Hilton Charlotte Center City, responded to this review, 6 August 2012
Dear swj: Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your feedback! What a great review! I was so pleased to hear that you had an excellent night’s sleep with us and that you found everything to be just right. We’d love to have you stay with us again! All the best!