“Fantastic bargain! Very nice property!”

Hilton Charlotte Center City
Ranked #29 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 12 August 2014

I can't believe the deal I got on this hotel. I booked through hotels.com. It was a pre-season football game weekend and this hotel is very convenient to the stadium so I figured it would cost a fortune, but this was one of the least expensive offerings. So I figured there must be a catch. But no, this is a very nice property and VERY convenient to the stadium, light rail station (right outside the door) and the center city area. I was very pleased with our stay.

The hotel is very nice and modern, as you would expect in a large city. The guest registration drive and lobby are both on the small side (there was almost no room to pull in, but the valets did get the cars cleared out just in time for more cars to pull in). The registration desk appeared to only be able to service 4 guests at a time maximum. There were only two associates on duty when we arrived, so there was a bit of a wait. But they were very friendly and helpful. Daily self-parking was $18 and valet was $25. I think both of these are probably a great deal for the area. The self-parking is quite easy with access to the lot from the second floor foyer.

There is a much larger "foyer" area on the second floor that serves as the entrance to the hotel bar & restaurant as well as several shops. It's a bit confusing when coordinating with friends on the same trip--we had to make sure we specified that we were going to meet on the second floor. The 3rd St/Convention Ctr light rail stop is right outside the "back" door and there is a wonderful courtyard and fountain outside the "front" door accessible from this level.

My wife & I got a king room that was at the very end of the hall (our room number ended in 10). While it was a bit like a maze getting to it, the advantage is that by being at the end of the hall we didn't hear a single other guest. Speaking of noise, one of my big complaints about hotel rooms is the noise of the AC/heater system. This room was completely silent. Well done! And no city noise could be heard as well (we were on the 10th floor, so reasonably high up anyway).

The rooms are decorated very nicely. Based on the decor and amenities I would say that this property may have undergone a renovation fairly recently. There was no refrigerator in the room however. The TV was a very large unit and there were convenient hookups to connect your computer to it (I didn't test this).

The one complaint I do have, and I don't feel that this is enough to lower my rating from 5 stars, is that the room is a classic example of form over function. While things like the bathroom fixtures and shower design are very modern and beautiful and typical of other big city hotels, they are not very practical. Some examples are the beautiful glass show enclosure that made it very difficult to get your towel, and you also only get one chance to get the temperature right when you turn on the shower before committing to get in to re-adjust; the sink had a modern fixture that spread the flow of water into an interesting plane of water, but this made it difficult to get a good stream of water on my razor and toothbrush; and the furniture in the room, while very attractive, did not have adequate drawers to store clothes.

Overall I was extremely pleased with our stay and would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: City view rooms cost extra. We did not opt for city view, so our view was of the courtyard, which w...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
lmtaintor, Manager at Hilton Charlotte Center City, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Dear ldpickup, Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at the Hilton Charlotte Center City. We are truly glad you enjoyed your time in Charlotte and are grateful to receive such great feedback about our hotel and team here at the Hilton. We take great pride serving our guests and are truly appreciative when our guests post such great reviews. We hope to see you again soon on your next trip to Charlotte.

There are newer reviews for Hilton Charlotte Center City

Reviewed 10 August 2014

Hotel is ideally located close to the Convention Center and tons of restaurants. The beds were very comfortable and room was clean.The arrangement with the YMCA for exercising was good except that the Y was closed on Sundays, so if you are there for the weekend, you missed out on a day of working out. We did not try the hotel restaurant due to many other choices available. The staff was friendly and helpful. I had stayed at the Westin previously but I would rank this one higher.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
lmtaintor, Manager at Hilton Charlotte Center City, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Dear Miki A, Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at the Hilton Charlotte Center City. I am glad to see you enjoyed your stay. We have recently worked out a new agreement with the YMCA and starting this past weekend (8/9/2014) the YMCA is now open Sundays from 12p-6p. We are extremely happy to offer this to our guests and have a state of the art and recently renovated fitness facility for our guests. We hope the next time your travels take you to Charlotte you will take advantage of the new hours that the YMCA offers.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

This hotel is in a great location and has some great amenities. But its not very user friendly. The card system seems out dated and you have swipe your card several times to get the elevator to work. The staff was nice and tried to accommodate my room request but ve advised a double bed is just a little bigger than a twin so you better like the person you are sharing the bed with. the bathroom appeared nice until you started looking in the shower. there was mold all around the bottom and the drain was clogged. Not what I would expect for over 250.00 a night room. Only stayed at this hotel because my usual ones were booked. Doubt I will be back anytime soon.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear 545constancem, Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at the Hilton Charlotte Center City. I am sincerely sorry for the issues you experienced with your key cards and the condition of the bathroom. I have discussed your review with my engineering and housekeeping team and we have changed the lock for the guest room and reprogrammed all the guest elevator key encoders. We have also addressed the issues in the bathroom and shower. I promise this is not typical of our Hilton and I am truly thankful you brought this to our attention so it can be resolved immediately. I hope the next time your travels take you to Charlotte you will give us another opportunity to earn back your trust.

Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

The room is outdated and small. The bathrooms clearly need to be renovated. When we finally arrived back to out room around 11pm to turn in for bed after a fun filled day of enjoying Charlotte, are bedding was damped! Ew! We had to call the front desk and have them change our sheets. When the housekeepers arrived we had to sit in our cramped room as two ladies undressed and dressed our beds in our pajamas. We were traveling with a two year old so she was wired after they left. -___- so much for going to sleep. don't book here...the "Hilton" name did not live up to what I expected.

Stayed: August 2014

Dear Qi Q, Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at the Hilton Charlotte Center City. I am truly sorry for the experience you had during your stay. I would like to discuss the issues you experienced in greater detail. Please email me at Lee.Taintor@hiltoncentercity.com so I can discuss the problems and ensure they are addressed with my team. I assure you this is not typical of our hotel and our team is extremely proud of our Hilton and our 4-Diamond service and accommodations. I look forward to hearing from you so we can discuss your recent stay.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

I travel almost exclusively with Hilton, and I'm never worried about my arrangements. I had been awake for 51hours when I arrived at the Hilton Charlotte from the other side of the world. I had booked and made requests several weeks in advance. Upon arrival, everything had been taken care of, I was upgraded(as usual) and my stay could not have been more pleasant. It is centrally located downtown, and the staff is excellent.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear Alan E37, Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at the Hilton Charlotte Center City. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and hope you rested after such a long trip. We hope to see you again if your travel plans brings you back to Charlotte.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

Can't beat this location in the heart of Charlotte Uptown. Restaurant menu is a bit overpriced, but luckily within walking distance to many great restaurants. The amenities are top notch, especially access to the YMCA facility adjacent to the hotel. Get in a quality workout and then grab a drink at Smoothie King, also located in the same adjacent tower. I've stayed here multiple times for business and will continue to be my first choice when traveling to Charlotte.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Matthew J, Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at the Hilton Charlotte Center City. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and all the amenities the city of Charlotte has available within walking distance to the hotel. We look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to Charlotte.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

We chose this hotel for its location close to the Bank of America stadium as we had tickets for the Guiness International Champions Cup. The location was great. However, we arrived early and our room was not ready, they promised to phone when it was available. At 3 pm the original promised time we went back, still no room. As we waited we saw new arrivals leaving with rooms, at 3:30 we went back to the Front Desk and got a room. If we had not followed up I do not think we would have heard from them. The hotel was understaffed, obviously they did not have enough housekeeping and the Front Desk needed more help, both were poor planning and management. There is no concierge desk and with the front so busy no one to help. As you exit out to the plaza on the second floor there are several tables right there, where the same people seemed to sit all day and smoke. We would not stay here again.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear JustRetired2013, Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at the Hilton Charlotte Center City. I am truly sorry for the experience you had during your stay. I assure you this is no way typical of our hotel. We reviewed the issues that occurred over this weekend and as a team discussed the challenges and put together an action plan to ensure this type of situation does not occur again in the future. I sincerely hope the next time your travels take you to Charlotte you will give us another opportunity to earn your trust and show you a true Hilton 4-Diamond experience.