Left with few options after volcano stopped me and 10 yo son getting back to the UK, we got a last minute deal online and when we arrived, we were gobsmacked, amazing location, great hotel but.....
The problems are:
- Wireless internet is $10 a day in the room, cheapskates
- It says pool which attracted us but beware, families with children, they cannot access the pool in the YMCA until after 6.30pm weekdays. I was told it was because it was an "adult" facility, what the heck goes on in the YMCA that prevents children going in? Its available to them all day Saturday but is closed Sunday - and it COSTS! $12 per room per day!!! Should they advertise a pool if it isn't theirs, is so restricted in use and costs?
- Noise level in the corridors. I think they make a big thing of weddings and parties at the weekend but do they have to go on in the corridor outside our room until well past midnight? Management - sort it out! It sounded as though half of Charlotte was outside our door yelling, screaming and laughing - and other people have mentioned this too.
The room was great and so was the rate but not a 5 or 4 star experience.
Further afield, great places to mix, eat and drink on and off Tryon street. Got there on a Thursday to see a free live pop concert in a nearby square - Live after Five every Thursday in the summer?
Favourites for eating were Coco Osteria, Rock Bottom Brewery and Ri Ra (Irish pub), the latter proving excellent local brewed beers, great atmosphere and great food. Try the taster board at Rock Bottom which I think was 7 or 8 samples costing less than $10, as I recall - or perhaps I don't now...!
Charlotte is a wonderful new America experience with lots of smart sassy females (I'm male) and this is certainly not a "fat city". I was told it was because of the banking jobs here and every condo having a swimming pool to keep them fit.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Relax at the Hilton Charlotte Center City hotel and enjoy our downtown location. Our Charlotte hotel is situated in the heart of the city across from the Charlotte Convention Center, within walking distance to restaurants, entertainment, and museums. Travel to the hotel from Charlotte/Douglas International Airport in just 15 minutes. Maintain fitness regimens at the local YMCA Health Club featuring the latest cardiovascular equipment, exercise classes and an Olympic-sized lap pool. Wind down in the hotel at the Coastal Bar, enjoying the atmospheric lighting and innovative cocktails. Dine in the Coastal Kitchen restaurant serving American classics with a new Southern twist. Retire to a contemporary Guest room featuring the latest multimedia technology on the 42-inch plasma TV. Get down to business at the work desk with an ergonomic chair or simply relax on the comfortable bed. Choose an executive room or suite for more space, great views of the city, and Executive Lounge privileges including a complimentary breakfast and drinks and snacks in the evenings. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Hilton Hotels Direct, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, HotelsClick, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hilton Charlotte Center City reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton Charlotte Center City Hotel Charlotte
- Hilton Hotel Charlotte
- Charlotte Hilton