“This could have been a 5*, but its not....”

Hilton Charlotte Center City
Ranked #31 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 25 April 2010

Left with few options after volcano stopped me and 10 yo son getting back to the UK, we got a last minute deal online and when we arrived, we were gobsmacked, amazing location, great hotel but.....

The problems are:
- Wireless internet is $10 a day in the room, cheapskates
- It says pool which attracted us but beware, families with children, they cannot access the pool in the YMCA until after 6.30pm weekdays. I was told it was because it was an "adult" facility, what the heck goes on in the YMCA that prevents children going in? Its available to them all day Saturday but is closed Sunday - and it COSTS! $12 per room per day!!! Should they advertise a pool if it isn't theirs, is so restricted in use and costs?
- Noise level in the corridors. I think they make a big thing of weddings and parties at the weekend but do they have to go on in the corridor outside our room until well past midnight? Management - sort it out! It sounded as though half of Charlotte was outside our door yelling, screaming and laughing - and other people have mentioned this too.

The room was great and so was the rate but not a 5 or 4 star experience.

Further afield, great places to mix, eat and drink on and off Tryon street. Got there on a Thursday to see a free live pop concert in a nearby square - Live after Five every Thursday in the summer?

Favourites for eating were Coco Osteria, Rock Bottom Brewery and Ri Ra (Irish pub), the latter proving excellent local brewed beers, great atmosphere and great food. Try the taster board at Rock Bottom which I think was 7 or 8 samples costing less than $10, as I recall - or perhaps I don't now...!

Charlotte is a wonderful new America experience with lots of smart sassy females (I'm male) and this is certainly not a "fat city". I was told it was because of the banking jobs here and every condo having a swimming pool to keep them fit.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family

Reviewed 23 April 2010

OK hotel, but everything extra (parking, internet) is expensive. Dealing with customer service to get a receipt involved 2 phone calls, a smarmy rep who interrupted everything I said. Their policy (this hotel only it appears) is you have to send a written request (no faxes) signed in blue (!) ink . I don't think I'll get my expense account in on time this month.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 April 2010

I held a business meeting for 30 employees in this hotel. We utilized a webcast format for the meeting for the first time. The audio/IT equipment provided by the hotel worked flawlessly, and the hotel staff was proactive and present for all set ups and connections. The food service staff also checked on us constantly and was very flexible and accommodating of schedule changes.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 April 2010

As others have noted, this Hilton is excellently located - almost next door to the convention center, close to many of the bank headquarters, and easy walking distance to lots and lots of restaurants. It is also next to the transit center and the light rail.

My room was great - the HD television was terrific and the workspace was wide enough I could spread everything out. The bathroom had the standard Hilton soaps and shampoos, but that's OK.

The lobby is a bit small and there is only a few chairs to wait in as your group gathers in the foyer. But, if the weather is nice there is plenty of space in the courtyard outside the Wachovia Center. The hotel registration desk was speedy and accurate. I didn't use the fitness center, since the hours were quite restricted, but one of my colleagues did and he said it was well worth $20 for five days.

A couple of things could use improvement - I couldn't consistently access the wi-fi in my room and when I mentioned this to the front desk they said something like, 'oh, you must be in the middle of the hallway - there's nothing we can do about that'. Well, actually, there is - you install a stronger system so there aren't dead spots in your hotel.

Secondly, the lounge breakfast could have more fresh and higher quality ingredients. The bagels seemed like they were three days old, and on the weekend it seemed as though the staff couldn't keep up with all the kids munching on the pastries. There was a line at the coffee machine, which could only make one cup at a time.

Still, all in all, I would probably choose the hotel again if I wanted to stay downtown Charlotte.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 March 2010

Our experience with the Hilton was excellent. The customer service was incredible. The rooms were very clean but a little small. We had a room with two double beds which were comfortable, but a little small. The bathrooms were beautiful, but once again ,a little small. The hotel is beautiful and clean and ina great location, in the heart of the city. We booked this room thru priceline for $65.00 a night-a great deal and worth every penny. The work out room is owned by the YMCA and they charge $20.oo a day to work out-so be aware of that. However, the city is so beautful,I walked every morning and enjoyed the sights. Valet parking is $25.oo/night, self park is $18.oo/night- alittle pricey. The business center was always accesible for my children and myself. Room service was fantastic and Jaqueline was so sweet to my family and my children, so ask for her! Overall, it's a great hotel, we could have stayed there for the week however we only booked for two days-you have to be catreful when booking thru priceline-you never know what you are goingt to get-so you have to play it cool. We attempted to extend our stay, however, the hotel would not accepty our offer. Anyway, that's our fault becasue we have should have booked the hotel for the entire week.! We would defintiely stay here again and would recommend this hotel for anyone.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 February 2010

Just stayed here one night, but it was very pleasant and comfortable. The room was very well appointed, with comfortable easy chair, bedding and workspace/chair. A nice flatscreen TV with a good selection of channels. Like similar hotels, right in the center of the Queen City, so very convenient to the major companies in the downtown area. Everything is within walking distance

Had dinner in the hotel restaurant witha co-worker. Food was good and reasonably priced.

Bathroom was very nice, with quality toiletries (Crabtree & Evelyn), fixtures and surfaces.

I would stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank HudsonValleyGuy
edwinwalter, Director of Hotel Operations at Hilton Charlotte Center City, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2010

What a wonderful review of our property! Your comments regarding our room appointments as well as your experience in the Coastal Kitchen & Bar will be shared with our team. We enjoy seeing that our efforts to enhance our customers experience are appreciated. We look forward to serving you in the future. Regards, Edwin Walter, Hotel Manager

Reviewed 29 January 2010

I stayed here twice in Oct 2009 on business. This is a very nice hotel, convenient to downtown business. Staff is very friendly. Rooms are exceptionally clean. Great hotel for business travelers.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business