“OK, good value”

Rodeway Inn University Area
Ranked #121 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
Reviewed 9 August 2011

No hair dryer, no microwave. Yes, refrigerator, coffee maker (only one packet). There is free Internet, but it's slow (OK for regular online stuff but slow to download large files) Bathroom ceiling light didn't work, but infrared lamp did, and the tub is also a small Jacuzzi. Very large room. Clean, in OK repair, entrances and parking lot well lit, front desk lady was on the ball. Bed and pillows comfortable. Quiet the three nights I stayed.

It's a budget hotel, so it's short some amenities. It's a step below Comfort Inn but not a dive. I stayed down the street in Brookwood Inn, and this is tons better for about the same price. If I had a family and were budget-conscious, I would not stay in the Brookwood (nor the nearby Microtel that I visited), but I would stay in the Rodeway.

Next to I85. Generally in a "bad" part of town (thus the price, I guess), but it doesn't bother me. Wendy's, McDonald's, Bojangles, Taco Bell very close, plus a couple other burger joints/family diners. Some convenience stores / gas stations very close. So, it's OK for the money (under $50) especially considering the generous size of the room and the generally decent standard of cleanliness. Lots of food and drug stores up and down Sugar Creek within a mile or two.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank jakeadler

Reviewed 16 July 2011

I drove to VA to purchase a new boat, motor & trailer & needed a place to stay somewhere in Charlotte. I looked at a few places near the Rodeway & and they looked creepy & lots of people loitering near them. When I went to the Rodeway I asked to see one of the rooms. It was very clean & smelled good. The bed was made perfectly, bathroom was spotless. I was a bit nervous about the neighborhood with the new boat in the parking lot. The manager told me that it would be o.k. As I persisted about my concerns he told me if I wanted to park across from the office that the night manager would keep an eye on it. All turned out well and I would recommend this Rodeway to any one as it was clean, affordable and mostly the customer service was excellent. We are at a lost for customer service nowadays. I am self-employed and know customer service & referrals are my life-line. Thank You Rodeay Inn Charlotte.

Room Tip: I always ask to see the room before taking it. I 've walked awy from some because of the conditi...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank tigr_11
Reviewed 18 June 2011

Just stayed one night but the Managers were so helpful and just real nice people then I went to the room and was pleasently surprised at the size, cleanliness and that it had a jacuzzi tub for such a reasonable sum. Bonus was little pool that I also enjoyed for an hour.
I would definately stay here again and recommend it 100% to other travellers.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 July 2010

I was honestly a little nervous when we pulled up to the Inn because the location looked a bit shady. The room, however, was huge! It was very clean and the bed was comfortable. I have to say that the staff there were incredibly kind and accommodating. Service was spectacular. It is a motel and close to the highway, but the noise level was fairly low, which was nice. We had no complaints at all.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ProfessorV
Reviewed 10 February 2010

I am a female who frequently travels alone on business. I feel safe at this hotel due to the alert staff who are customer oriented but not intrusive. It is a great value for the money. You get Bed, Bath, and Beyond in the form of coffee, fluffy towels, micro wave, refrigerator, free internet, CNBC plus many more channels. They always have a complimentary USA Today. The paper is not delivered to your door but you have to walk to the lobby. Work, Work, Work . I hope it stays this way. If it becomes too popular they will have to raise the price. I know I am foolish to write this because it is a diamond in the rough.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank Hello40
Reviewed 10 August 2009

I considered this place to stay since it was budget, had decent reviews, and was named a "hidden gem" and "top value" by Trip Advisor. I've said the same thing about another hotel this weekend...Budget hotels are "budget" for a reason.
We called Papa John's to order pizza and were told that they could not deliver 30 minutes before dark? ...huh? What kind of area are we in, anyway? So that had us concerned. There were people constantly running up and down the hallway and making noise. This place seemed to be where some people lived...? I don't know. It also seemed that the hotel didn't mind the public using the pool, because the overcrowded pool and parking lot cleared out after dark. The bed was terrible. The room was really warm when we entered and it took forever to cool down on the hottest day of the summer. My husband wouldn't let me walk to the truck by myself because he was concerned about my safety.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CatMama05
Reviewed 19 March 2008

Stayed @ the Rodeway Inn on Sugar Creek Road and the desk staff was very polite.Our room had a sitting area,plus a table with two chairs.
Everything was spotless,including the shower which appeared to be brand-new.
A very pleasant stay for a bargain price and the convenient location.

Stayed: March 2008