“Bright moments but some flaws”

Sheraton Charlotte Airport Hotel
Ranked #56 of 180 Hotels in Charlotte
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 29 August 2013

Sheraton used to mean a really 5 star experience, at least to me. I think I was treated well and so was my mother, so I have no fault with the staff. I certainly have no fault with the meal I shared with my mother. We found that to be a highlight, despite its somewhat high price. Why then can I only give it an average rating?

1. THE NOISE LEVEL!!!! IF YOU WANT TO SLEEP AT NIGHT DON'T GET A ROOM ANYWHERE EXCEPT THE END OF THE HALL OR THE DRUNKS GETTING OFF THE ELEVATOR WILL STAND OUTSIDE YOUR DOOR AND DRIVE YOU NUTS!

2. I think free internet should sort of be a given these days. If I am paying top whack for a room and they want an additional 10 clams to give me access to the world wide web for a few measly hours, I find that a bit, well, miserly. I chose not to bite.

3. Lastly, I chose not to bite for an additional bunch of bucks for a buffet breakfast for my mother and me. That was almost ridiculous in my book.

These issues are all in themselves kind of small, in all likelihood, for the average businessman, on the padded business trip with a business expense account. For someone like me, used to hotels like Hampton Inns who offer the above amenities included for a similar bottom dollar, it means maybe I will reconsider my choice next time.

On the plus side, though, and there are plusses, here, the staff there was exceedingly friendly. The beds were comfy. Eating at the hotel can be a plus if you do not want to leave the grounds. They even offered to let me leave my car there as I was flying out of Charlotte and returning within a few days, rather than the expense of parking it in long distance parking (a nice gesture I turned down as I had arranged prepayment elsewhere.) The toiletry amenities were nice and my senior citizen mother and I (of nearly senior citizen age) felt safe there and well looked after.

I guess this is where you weigh out what you need. If you ask for a room at the end of the hall, are leaving early in the morning and don't need breakfast and don't need internet, you may have your Shangri-La. Good food, good pool, good bar, good folks.

Room Tip: Get a room at the end of the hall because the doors are paper thin and folks coming off the elevator...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Robin M, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Charlotte Airport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at our hotel. We are glad you felt welcome and refreshed by your experience at The Sheraton Charlotte. It is regretful however that you felt your stay was less than a five star experience. While, full service and limited service hotels often vary in the amenities they offer and the price they charge for those amenities we always welcome any suggestions our guests have for our property. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Sheraton Charlotte!

Reviewed 24 August 2013

This hotel I would recommend to anyone. It is nice and quiet. The beds are AWESOME> You just sink right in them, the pillows were great. The Pool was a little small but it was indoor and outdoor you could swim in and out of, our kids had a great time.It was the best stay we had, also Carowinds not to far away. Close to places to eat and the rooms were quiet. Staff was friendly and nice, I would stay here again!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Robin M, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Charlotte Airport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2013

Thank you for choosing the Sheraton Charlotte for your leisure travel with your family. We are happy you were able to unwind and experience some of the many amenities we have to offer including, the heated indoor and outdoor pool. I trust the kids had a wonderful time at Carowinds as well! Charlotte has many local attractions for the whole family. The next time you are in the Charlotte area you should check out the US National Whitewater Center!

Reviewed 20 August 2013 via mobile

I really enjoyed my stay here at the Sheraton. The staff was very friendly, courteous, and extremely helpful. My one complaint deals with the food prices! Overall, I would stay here again. Great décor and pleasant atmosphere.

• Stayed: August 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are delighted to hear that you had a pleasant stay! We pride ourselves on creating memorable experiences for our guests. Next time you are in North Carolina it would be our pleasure to welcome you back at the Sheraton Charlotte Hotel!

Reviewed 20 August 2013

The Airport Sheraton hotel is located south of Charlotte near Douglas International Airoort. It's an out of the way location that is great for a business stay over, but not if you're on vacation. The most impressive benefit for staying at this Sheraton is that they are pet friendly (NO FEE). The check-in was very welcoming, the girl at the desk recognized my SPG membership even though I booked through Hotels.com. She gave us breakfast coupons and late check-out. Because of my pet, we got a nice first floor room overlooking the indoor pool. However, I assume, because of my poodle, I received a smoking room, although the odor was well masked. The hotel was beautiful with an atrium social area on a smaller scale to the Gaylord Hotel.
The downside to this locaation is the restaurant. The food was not very well prepared and the concepts of the "chefs inspiration" were foreign to me. As insult to injury, the food was overpriced. You'll want to travel elsewhere if you want a good lunch or dinner. As a whole, I would stay again, because of the friendliness of the staff and the visually appealing setting.
This location should be getting better ratings but the indifferent food service will continue to get in the way.

Room Tip: If you're a non-smoking pet owner, don't let them give you a smoking room. The first floor i...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your loyalty to the Starwood Hotels & Resorts brand and for being a member of our SPG program. I am delighted to hear you had the opportunity to take advantage of our many amenities offered-our pet friendly atmosphere, décor and Oscar’s Restaurant. We apologize that you found your experience in our restaurants to be less than satisfactory. I have passed your comments on to our Food & Beverage Director. We always welcome our guest’s suggestions and strive to improve for future guests. As a point of clarification, our hotel is a completely non-smoking facility. Again, please accept our apologies for any inconveniences you may have experienced. We truly appreciate you and look forward to connecting the next time you are in the Charlotte area!

Reviewed 18 August 2013

I like this hotel for the convenient location and free shuttle to the airport, and most importantly the super-friendly staff. I have never encountered any of their staff being anything less than as accommodating as possible. Reading other reviews of this hotel that even hint at rude staff, I think it's clear there is a unique context, and that it's clearly uncommon. I find it hard to believe that any of the rooms weren't cleaned or had other problems, as I've stayed in rooms throughout the hotel. The lobby is beautiful, but sometimes cold, and the facilities are at the level of many Sheratons I've stayed at, i.e., an older property that has been re-appointed. Don't expect to use the indoor/outdoor pool - it's not heated and never warm enough for a swim. And the hot tub... was there ever a hot tub? I've stayed here for business and with family, and love the location and the staff.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business

Douglas, thank you for being part of the Sheraton Charlotte Family! We are delighted to know our services continually exceed your expectations and our staff provide memorable experiences during your visits with us. We are proud of our Sheraton Charlotte team and delighted to provide excellent service to wonderful guests like you! We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 8 August 2013 via mobile

Hotel was like most Sheratons. The location right off the interstate was convenient to getting around. Free parking is a plus. Room was typical of a Sheraton. The club lounge was small and didn't have much for breakfast. Overall, my wife and I had a good stay with no complaints.

• Stayed: August 2013

Thank you for choosing the Sheraton Charlotte for your lodging needs! Whether you like the busy Downtown Charlotte restaurants, attractions and nightlife or the adventurous U.S. White Water Center, our hotel’s location offers easy access to enjoy Charlotte! We are delighted to hear that your wife and yourself enjoyed your stay and were able to enjoy the Sheraton Club Lounge amenities. We hope you will stay with us again soon!

Reviewed 28 July 2013

The hotel is at the intersection of I-85 and Billy Graham Parkway -- convenient to the airport and less than 10 minutes from downtown. Our king room was spacious with a two chair sitting area. We checked in after midnight and it was super efficient. The staff was courteous. We didn't avail ourselves of the restaurant or pool, but they looked good. Parking is free, wi-fi is not. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Robin M, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Charlotte Airport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our property and for the kind comments. Located just 5 miles from Uptown Charlotte and 2 miles from the airport, our location is indeed convenient to both the corporate and leisure traveler. Our hotel prides itself on customer service and I am delighted to hear that our staff was courteous and you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to connecting with you again soon!