“Desperately in need of update”

Sheraton Charlotte Airport Hotel
Ranked #57 of 183 Hotels in Charlotte
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 26 February 2014

This hotel is old and run down masquerading under its renovated lobby and pool area. However the renovations stop at the first floor elevator. Even when you get off the elevators the carpeting and wall paper are dirty and old. The carpet in the room was worn and dirty and the bathroom shower had black grout. The cover over the shower stopper was falling off. I flushed the toilet and then had to jiggle the handle so that it would stop flowing into the tank. As for location, yes near to the airport, but in an area that is less than desirable, the noise of the highway and the planes was really loud. I think better windows would help. As for the food, while the newly updated lobby includes a contemporarily decorated dining room, room service food quality was awful. I ordered the chefs special that was a salmon sandwich the salmon was so overdone it was dry and hard to chew, the brownie cake ordered tasted like pieces of old brownies with warm chocolate syrup poured over it. There are other hotels in the area and this really doesn't meet my expectation as a business traveler. Wouldn't recommend.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Keis3

Reviewed 12 February 2014

I stayed at this hotel twice within the last year. One time I booked a room through a regular booking site, the other time through Hotwire.
The hotel needs some touch up, it looks worn down. When you're in the lobby and you look up towards the ceiling you can see old ugly fan units and pipes. That to me would still be acceptable because I only needed a decent place to stay with my little daughter to catch an international flight the next day.
However, what keeps me from booking the hotel again in the future is their food. I have to rely on the hotel to provide me with proper food since I'm an international traveler without a car and unfamiliar with the area. I usually arrive in Charlotte some time in the later afternoon and my connecting flight goes the next morning. So all I need is a clean room and a proper breakfast. I'm not expecting anything fancy, but when I order grapefruit juice and yoghurt with fruit (along with the regular American breakfast) I don't want some sort of juice blend where the actual grapefruit juice is in the very end of the ingredient list and a "yoghurt" with 0% fat, articially flavored and sweetened with less than 1% fruit! I just want what I ordered, plain old grapefruit juice, regular yoghurt and fresh fruit! They should at least make a note on the menu, letting the customers know what to expect.
So after receiving my 90% inedible breakfast (sausages were disgusting, as well as the eggs, but I ate some of the bread), I called room service informing them of the situation. They apologized and assured me a full refund. Upon checkout, I also mentioned this issue to the front desk. They also confirmed to me that I will not be charged for the breakfast.
Well, my following credit card bill said something different, I did get charged for it after all. I called the hotel, and the lady I was dealing with didn't apologize but had me explain the whole situation again and stated that the juice was Tropicana brand (!), I guess to her that means it has to be good then. In the end she granted me the refund and I'm happy this whole thing is finally over. Needless to say, I'm not going to stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 February 2014

I attended the Charlotte Salsa Invitational and we dancers had a fantastic event in a nice hotel. The bathroom was a little bit old; ceiling was bubbly and the curtains had some paint stains?
Otherwise, the room was clean, good soft beds, nice pillows and no strange smells! The pool area is very nice and relaxing with nice lounge furniture. The meeting rooms are very well kept and the staff was quite friendly.

Room Tip: Check the pictures and check reviews on Trip Advisor!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 February 2014

The property itself is a little dated but close to CLT. The staff goes all out to make it a pleasant experience for the frequent business traveler like me. Shout out to Lupita at the front desk for pointing out some great information, Jeff on the shuttle, and especially Renee in the concierge lounge. Next time I will pack my swim trunks - looks like a nice indoor/outdoor pool. Warning - not a lot of restaurant choices in the immediate area. This is the second SPG airport property in a row I have been impressed with.

Room Tip: No advice here.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 January 2014

I am currently staying at the Sheraton Charlotte Airport Hotel. I arrived on Sunday January 26 and will be departing on February 1. When I arrived on Sunday Night I was picked up by the Sheraton Shuttle driven by "Rick". He set the tone for the rest of the week with his help and smiles. I was an instructor for a national industry association so I have had my issues with hotels that could handle a group of 275 to 325 attendees. The Sheraton Charlotte Airport Hotel staff went out of their way to make everyone happy. The breakfast and special lunch buffets were well presented and well stocked with tasty food and nice deserts.

There were the usual minor bumps in my room considering it is an "airport" hotel. Any time I asked for assistance or pointed out a problem with an elevator or cleaning I watched and saw an immediate response.

I would come back if I ever travel into or through Charlotte.

Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed 29 January 2014

This hotel has been a good location for the trade conference that I am attending. The check in was quick and easy. The room was just as described and very comfortable bed. The shower had more water pressure than any shower I have ever been; very nice. The food and drink are about 25% over priced. Two beers at the bar was $10 and the breakfast bar was $12. The only real complaint I have is the noise from the bar. If your room overlooks the lobby the noise in the evenings can be annoying if the crowd gets loud. I must say that the service has been perfect since the day I got here. The staff has been very polite and attentive to our every need. The old reviews on here about bad service had me scared but I have not had a single instance where the service was not excellent.

Room Tip: Request a room that does not overlook the lobby.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Smokediver13
Reviewed 24 January 2014 via mobile

The room appears to be nice until you look down around the baseboards when trying to find an outlet. No outlets...ugh!!! Had to unplug alarm clock bedding the bed to plug charger in. Plus is the Starbucks coffee with the single serve coffee maker and the complimentary bottle of water the put out for you. Heavy curtains to block light but you have to adjust them with the chair pushed up against to keep them closed. Nice bed, nice TV, nice real hair dryer.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business