“Great hotel close to I-85”

Sheraton Charlotte Airport Hotel
Ranked #56 of 180 Hotels in Charlotte
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 28 March 2014

This renovated Sheraton hotel is located very close to I-85 in Charlotte,NC. As a SPG Gold member I was upgraded to the Club floor and had access to the lounge when I paid 7,000 pts for a free room. The bed was very comfortable and the room was spacious. The food at the hotel restaurant was very nice

Room Tip: Get a room on a high floor
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 9 March 2014

I recently had a weather related travel incident that required me to check in a day early on what is one of their busiest weekends of the year, the CIAA basketball tournament. Lupita at the front desk provided me with exceptional service and logistical support that facilitated making this difficult change to my itinerary. Throughout my stay the employees at the hotel worked hard to ensure my stay was a pleasant one, and my requests were all met with true southern hospitality and professionalism.

I stayed on the club floor and found that the amenities were well worth making the upgrade. Breakfast included hot protein items and lovely fruit. In the evening there was a tasty hot appetizer accompanied by salad, cheeses, fruit, and two complimentary beverages. We found this to be perfect for a nice light evening meal. The hostess in the club was quite gracious and made us feel welcome and cared for.

Our room was well decorated, comfortable, and clean. The views over Charlotte were worth asking for the top floor, and it was nice having the convenience of being located outside of downtown, close to the interstate, with generous free parking. I was there for a workshop and the workshop rooms and services for this function were also excellent. I would like to thank the hotel staff for making what could have been a very difficult situation pleasant and easy.

Room Tip: The club level is very nice. If you ask for a quiet room they will pick out a good one for you.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 March 2014

I wish I could give the Sheraton a better rating but the all night party across from our room ruined an otherwise wonderful hotel! We had a very early morning flight and chose the Sheraton due to their proximity to the airport and previous good luck with other Sheratons. The lobby was beautiful, the room was nice and clean, the bed was comfy and the dinner was delicious. There was a salsa competition which made people watching fun while we had our dinner. After dinner we went to bed so we could get a good night's sleep in anticipation of our early flight. An hour after we fell into a quiet and peaceful sleep, we started to hear laughing and shouting. We thought that soon things would quiet down as obviously the Salsa contest was breaking up. This was not to be. It turns out there was a party across from us. After several hours of this, I called the front desk and they said they had already received a complaint so had sent security up. This quieted the party down for about an hour. It started up again and security once again handled it well. However, after the security guard left, it happened on and off until the party loudly broke up around 5 am, close to the time we had to get up for our flight. The front desk folks and the security guy was great but I was told by a housekeeper that this happens every year and the management does nothing about it. We left our car there during the trip and when we returned, our shuttle driver told us that we had just missed another loud party. This time the Sheraton was renting out their parking lot to host Lil Wayne who was performing at a strip club next door. The shuttle driver told me the same thing the housekeeper said, management seems to care more about making money from the loud events instead of the guests who stay there.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask if the hotel is hosting an event.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank VesnaGatlinburg
Reviewed 4 March 2014

This is a nice Sheraton hotel! Room was clean. Personnel were pleasant. Lobby is pretty. Room service food was above average. Dog friendly on the 1st floor. Easy free parking. I stay here at least twice a year.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 February 2014

This hotel is old and run down masquerading under its renovated lobby and pool area. However the renovations stop at the first floor elevator. Even when you get off the elevators the carpeting and wall paper are dirty and old. The carpet in the room was worn and dirty and the bathroom shower had black grout. The cover over the shower stopper was falling off. I flushed the toilet and then had to jiggle the handle so that it would stop flowing into the tank. As for location, yes near to the airport, but in an area that is less than desirable, the noise of the highway and the planes was really loud. I think better windows would help. As for the food, while the newly updated lobby includes a contemporarily decorated dining room, room service food quality was awful. I ordered the chefs special that was a salmon sandwich the salmon was so overdone it was dry and hard to chew, the brownie cake ordered tasted like pieces of old brownies with warm chocolate syrup poured over it. There are other hotels in the area and this really doesn't meet my expectation as a business traveler. Wouldn't recommend.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Keis3
Reviewed 12 February 2014

I stayed at this hotel twice within the last year. One time I booked a room through a regular booking site, the other time through Hotwire.
The hotel needs some touch up, it looks worn down. When you're in the lobby and you look up towards the ceiling you can see old ugly fan units and pipes. That to me would still be acceptable because I only needed a decent place to stay with my little daughter to catch an international flight the next day.
However, what keeps me from booking the hotel again in the future is their food. I have to rely on the hotel to provide me with proper food since I'm an international traveler without a car and unfamiliar with the area. I usually arrive in Charlotte some time in the later afternoon and my connecting flight goes the next morning. So all I need is a clean room and a proper breakfast. I'm not expecting anything fancy, but when I order grapefruit juice and yoghurt with fruit (along with the regular American breakfast) I don't want some sort of juice blend where the actual grapefruit juice is in the very end of the ingredient list and a "yoghurt" with 0% fat, articially flavored and sweetened with less than 1% fruit! I just want what I ordered, plain old grapefruit juice, regular yoghurt and fresh fruit! They should at least make a note on the menu, letting the customers know what to expect.
So after receiving my 90% inedible breakfast (sausages were disgusting, as well as the eggs, but I ate some of the bread), I called room service informing them of the situation. They apologized and assured me a full refund. Upon checkout, I also mentioned this issue to the front desk. They also confirmed to me that I will not be charged for the breakfast.
Well, my following credit card bill said something different, I did get charged for it after all. I called the hotel, and the lady I was dealing with didn't apologize but had me explain the whole situation again and stated that the juice was Tropicana brand (!), I guess to her that means it has to be good then. In the end she granted me the refund and I'm happy this whole thing is finally over. Needless to say, I'm not going to stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 February 2014

I attended the Charlotte Salsa Invitational and we dancers had a fantastic event in a nice hotel. The bathroom was a little bit old; ceiling was bubbly and the curtains had some paint stains?
Otherwise, the room was clean, good soft beds, nice pillows and no strange smells! The pool area is very nice and relaxing with nice lounge furniture. The meeting rooms are very well kept and the staff was quite friendly.

Room Tip: Check the pictures and check reviews on Trip Advisor!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends