“management”

GreenLeadersSilver level
new york
“management”
Reviewed 23 January 2008

Awful stay. Rooms are ok but the management not so much. The bellmen and front desk we're such a delight but as soon as a manager came around I noticed an unhappy change. The employees almost seemed scared of the managers. My husband and I definitely noticed a management problem. Ok stay but we left feeling sorry for some of the employees. We travel so much and can tell when we're at a happy hotel and this was not one.

Stayed January 2008
2 Thank thelynnfam

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Bradfordwoods, PA
Reviewed 22 January 2008

We stayed at the Charlotte Marriott SouthPark for 2 nights on the occasion of a large family event. We had 2 adjoining rooms, one for my husband and me with a king bed, the other for my 3 boys with 2 queens.

First the good news: the beds are so comfortable!!! My only complaint (as with many hotels) was that they give you 3 smallish pillows (not counting the giant decorator pillows...I don't think those are meant for sleeping), so if you have 2 people in a king bed, somebody gets only one small pillow. Yes, we could have asked for more but why should we have to?

The bathrooms are spacious and nice, with the usual amenities. I needed a mending kit, which I found in our bathroom, but my kids' room didn't have one, nor did other in our party. I checked because I needed extra thread. No biggie though.

The staff was very friendly and accommodating. We attended a large party at the hotel (dinner & dancing) and the food was excellent, as was the service.

The large flat panel TVs were also very nice.

Now for the bad. When we turned out the lights the first night, we realized the smoke detector above the bed was emitting a very bright green light. Not a normal green smoke detector light. More like a green laser pointer. It cast a large green orb onto the bed. I checked my kids' room, to discover they had a normal unobtrusive green light on the smoke detector, which was a different type. It was 12:30 at night but we could not sleep with that laser light in our eyes, so I called the front desk. The man staffing the front desk immediately arrived at our room with blue tape for me to place over the light. After 3 layers, it still cast a green glow but it wasn't bright so it worked for us. The next morning I checked in with the front desk to advise them of the problem. We returned to our room later to discover "engineering" had removed the blue tape and replaced it with white tape. OK with us, except the white tape fell on my husband's head while he was watching TV. I again called the front desk. When we returned to our room later, "engineering" had replaced the white tape with scotch tape colored over with a black sharpie! It worked but geez, can we get a better solution here? I'm left to wonder if the guests who occupied the room after us had to lay in bed looking at black scribbles on their ceiling.

The morning breakfast was OK, a little pricey for what you get with no kids' prices (at least none were disclosed to us.) The service in the restaurant was practically nonexistent. I don't think our waitress spoke English, but you'd think she'd understand "milk" and "coffee". We had to ask several times for everything. The people behind us were so annoyed and complained and I overheard the waitress blame it on the kitchen and say they didn't have to pay. So the kitchen was responsible for me not getting cream for my coffee, which was on some tables and not others?

My sons' room had carpet tacks sticking up between the wood floor near the bathroom and the carpeted area for the beds. And this was in the already renovated part of the hotel.

Having said all that, the hotel rate was very reasonable ($109/night/room was the AAA rate) and the location right near the fabulous Charlotte Mall was very convenient. Would I stay here again? Yes. Is it up to Marriott's standards of excellence? No way.

• Liked — Comfortable beds
  • Disliked — Maintenance problems & piecemeal solutions
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled on business
3 Thank Juliet K
Miami,Fl
Reviewed 24 December 2007

Wow! Thuis is place is surely a Hotel Ambush Makeover!!!!!!!
I stayed here years ago when it was the Park Hotel and it was indeed old and run-down; however, this is not the case now! The new rooms are posh and up-graded, with flat screen televisions, california closets, a marble entrance, and a Ritz Carlton room feel! I say, you should go see it for yourself. Oh by the way, the Wedding Ballrooms are remolded as well with the Lobby and Restaurant to be fininshed as we speak.

• Liked — Rooms
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled solo
3 Thank evanbaby
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 3 October 2007

It has taken me almost a year to write this review simply because it took me that long to calm down. We booked our wedding reception at this venue hoping that they would deliver everything that was promised to us. Unfortunately, the night of our reception they were understaffed and our food was not what we selected during our tasting. So many small details were overlooked, and for a wedding, this is major. Several of our guests had issues with their rooms and some did not receive their free breakfast vouchers. I could go on and
on...Please do not trust this place for your most special event.
It is not the hotel that it once was!

• Stayed October 2006
2 Thank EM1974
Kalamazoo MI
Reviewed 19 August 2007

Our daughter was married in Charlotte in June and booked a block of rooms. We asked if they could accomodate our group at their breakfast buffet on Sunday, July 1 and were assured they could. We expected about 30. They were in no way ready to serve even 15 people at a time. They were short staffed which led to lack of clean tables, place settings, wait staff to pour coffee, etc. The job fell to us! It was total chaos. We were then told by a few of our guests who had come down the morning before that it was the same way on Sat. It was a terrible end to our fun wedding weekend.

Stayed June 2007
1 Thank bridesparents_7
Queens, New York
Reviewed 30 May 2007

Nice older hotel in a good area. Bed was very comfortable and room was very clean.
We were there for business and enjoyed a wonderful dinner and breakfast at the hotel.
The staff really went out of their way to make us happy.

• Liked — Comfortable Bed, Staff
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled on business
3 Thank SempreItalia
Ohio
Reviewed 3 April 2007

This hotel is definately not up to Marriott standards. The inside is somewhat dumpy, the soda machines seamed to be always out of what you are looking for, and the room that we stayed in was not as clean as you would expect. The staff however is fantastic, and did inform me that over the next year they would be remodelling the hotel. So maybe I am waiting a year before staying here.

• Liked — I did like it was close to a very nice shopping mall.
  • Disliked — Having 2 decaf packages in the room instead of one decaf, one regular coffee.
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled with family