“Perfect hotel for an event and/or putting up a large group”

Charlotte Marriott SouthPark
Ranked #54 of 177 Hotels in Charlotte
GreenLeadersSilver level
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Perfect hotel for an event and/or putting up a large group”
Reviewed 4 January 2011

We used the Marriott at Southpark for our daughter's Bat Mitzvah party last year. We booked the Morrisoin ballroom downstairs including the foyer and the two adjacent smaller parlors which we used as "quiet" rooms for people who wanted to get away from the noise. For our out of town guests, we booked a large block of rooms at the hotel and we booked the Presidential Suite for Sunday so that we could offer our guests any easy way to do brunch before they left for the weekend.

The hotel is perfect for events like this. e.g. Weddings, business parties, Bar Mitzvah's etc. They have the best in-house Event Staff I've ever seen We worked with Jim Redmond who is the best!. They are reasonabily priced vs. some other hotels in the Charlotte area and overdeliever on everything they promise.

The hotel is not too big, but very nice, so there is a real cozy feel to the place and your guests will really get some extra special treatment. (I've been told that the hotel is planning a renovation of the lobby and restaurant area to make it even nicer -- which is good because the only downside to this hotel right now is that they don't have a large enough lobby area to congregate with family if you are in a group.)

As for location, you can't beat this spot. It is in a quiet nook right across the street from the Southpark Mall -- Charlotte's upscale shopping mall. You don't see or feel the mall from the hotel, but you can walk there without any problem.

The Southpark area is the best place in Charlotte for shopping and dinning. (Even better than uptown.) Though the hotel's inhouse restaurant is OK, you'd be crazy to eat there when there are so many other choices. -- e.g. Go the the Pancake house for breakfast. It's on the other side of the mall. Other dinning options within walking distance include: the Cheesecake Factory, Ruth Chris Steakhouse, Marggionos, Brio's, Panera bread, Zebra, PF Chang, the Palm, Boading Chineese, Harpers, Uptsteams, Dean and Deluca, McDonald's, Burger King, Bojangles, Cyros Sushi bar, Rooster's etc. etc. etc (Just too many to name!)
If you are traveling during June, you will be in for an extra special treat. -- On Friday nights in June, the Charlotte Symphony puts on free concerts in Sympthony park, which is adjacent to the Mall. It's like an evening at Tanglewood, without the long drive!

If you need to get to uptown, it's an easy 20 minute drive. There are also some other great activities all withing 30 minutes including : Carowinds Amusement Park, the U.S. Whitewater rafting center, Zip lining, Mountain biking, Kyaking, Hiking, Golf, Golf and more golf, tennis, etc. etc.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank GingerCharlotte

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Reviewed 27 November 2010

despite the reviews, everything with my stay was fantastic. Service was great and they had awesome amenities when I checked in. The rooms were clean and whenever I asked for something extra it got sent right up. I look forward to staying in the southpark area again, so much to do in this area too.

• Stayed June 2010
1 Thank Kitching1692
US
Reviewed 23 August 2010

I would agree with those who were disappointed with this hotel. First, the good; it's in a very nice location near south park mall and restaurants, the rooms are clean, and this fitness center is nice and for the first time ever a real plush bath mat in the bathroom.
We chose this hotel bc we had such a great experience at Marriott Greenville, SC a few weeks before and unfortunately the Greenville location is head and shoulders above this one.
The things that were disappointing; the breakfast was not good, just greasy diner breakfast. The website said sauna and there was not a sauna (the reason we selected it) but there was a steam room which was for us comparable to having a sauna. But the steam room is in the fitness area with no shower anywhere (not even outside by the pool) no place to leave a towel etc other than on the floor. The pool outside was very small and surrounded with concrete wall and lounge chairs for approx 8 people. The hotel room was fine but nothing special. It was not nicely decorated...just generic. We expected more. It was tolerable but in the future we would stay someone else and save the "upgrade" money.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank travelincritic
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed 6 June 2010

First, kudos to Restaurant.com, because I would not have found the restaurant without them. The boyfriend and I went there for an early dinner last week and the food and service rocked.

I was not super hungry so I ordered the Maryland Jumbo Crabcake and a tossed salad. Boyfriend order the Pot Roasted Shortrib with roasted carrots and cheddar mashed potatoes. He also ate a tossed salad.

Our salads came out immediately with an order of bread. While I wasn't a fan of the bread they set on the table, boyfriend loved it and ordered more. The salad was fresh, crisp, and absolutely delicious. We both commented that if they did a great job with tossed salad, we knew we were in for a treat. We were both in a chatty mood and didn't mind the wait for our food. I new boyfriend's order would like a little extra time, but before our salad forks hit the plate for the last time, the waiter (who was fantastic by the way), brought our entrees. The aroma was straight from foodie heaven. Boyfriend and I traded bites from our plates. I was instantly in love with my crabcake and I know seafood. Boyfriend doesn't even like seafood but he said "thats good." So there. Also, honorable mention for the bread on my sandwhich. This was no pick up by the hands sandwich. In my opinion, it is best eaten open faced with a fork, and so I did.

Boyfriend's shortrib was indescribedly great. Like the kids say, "oh my goodness!" That was a lot of food and my hungry man was loving every bite. He gave me three bites of his shortrib and then I knew without a doubt that he really loved me. (smile)

Later, we ordered Wam Apple & Walnut Cobbler that came ala mode with vanilla ice cream. This made my foodie senses soar! The walnuts were seasoned, perhaps in cinnamon sugar which knocked this desert into the foodie hall of fame. Of course this dessert was accompanied by cups of freshly brewed coffee. The chef was obviously professionally trained at a fine institute and it showed that he/she appreciated fine dining. We loved our dining experience. Thankfully, we were headed to go shopping and walk around for hours.

There comes a time when a dining experience is so amazing that you need to shout it from the rooftop. That time is now. I wished I would have gotten the names of the fantastic wait staff and phenomenal chef to thank them publicly, but I didn't. I will give thanks to Robert Morgan, Restaurant Manager.

Thanks for feeding us great food and treating us like we were worth a million bucks. We WILL be back!

Delores McCarter
Columbia, SC

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mizdmc
Danbury, CT
Reviewed 21 April 2010

The hotel was very clean. Most guests were staying there for a relative's wedding and the hotel staff was very nice to our party. The building was very nice and kid-friendly.

• Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank andpetros
Abbeville, South Carolina
Reviewed 30 March 2010

We were surprised and loved the hotel.....
We made the reservations in a hurry and just for location and were surprised at how awesome it was...we will be back..over Easter!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank kathygenevie
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 25 March 2010

My company held a conference here with catered lunches during the week of March 15th. Overall the hotel was clean, pleasant, and the service was good. The service staff at the front desk in particular were very easy to deal with.
The room was fairly standard, but spacious (except for the bathroom), and the bed was incredibly comfortable. It had a flat screen TV with a nice picture, and internet access for an additional charge. I've never quite understood why if I stay at a Marriott Courtyard the internet access is free, but at the actual Marriott they charge for it, but I guess they know more than I do about running hotels. The connection was actually not very fast, so I was a little miffed at the $12.00 per day charge for such a poor connection.
The only food I ate at the hotel was during our catered meetings, so it was mostly a selection of lunch fare--sandwiches, chips, etc. The quality and taste of the food was very good, but there are excellent restaurants very close by that I would recommend for dinner.
There are some very nice shops attached to the hotel, but it can be a little annoying if you have a room adjacent to these, as some of them appear to take deliveries at 6:30-7:00 AM from very loud trucks.
Overall it served our needs well for our business meeting.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business