“A good place to stay if passing through Cherokee”

Cherokee Grand Hotel
Ranked #22 of 28 Hotels in Cherokee
Reviewed 10 November 2013

We arrived in the early evening with two friends to find a number of people waiting to check in. Despite this the front desk staff were efficient and pleasant. We were allocated a disability-friendly room (we do not have any disabilities) - the first room on the first floor next to the lobby and the lift. Since the hotel was full there was no option for a different room and we anticipated a fairly noisy night with people returning late from the casino. However, we were pleasantly surprised that the room was both comfortable and quiet. Our friends were in the room directly above us adjacent to the open atrium and had the same experience.
The room was pleasantly furnished, clean and had a large bathroom with a huge shower (no tub) because it was adapted for the disabled. Not a problem and possibly an advantage if you wish to shower together !!
The breakfast was very good with hot and cold choices. The breakfast room could be bigger for a hotel of this size but, despite it being fully booked, we did not have much of a wait for a table for 4.
This was a pleasant stay - not in my top 20 list - but we would stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 28 October 2013

we stayed there because of the proximity to the casino, did not realize that the free shuttle only ran on friday and saturdays. The room was small and outdated, old tube type t.v. but it had a great picture window with a beautiful view of the mountains. the hot breakfast was good also.
this hotel needs to add more electrical outlets to keep up with the electronic age. we had three cell phones, an.d ipad and a laptop and had to unplug almost everything in the room to charge our devices.
hotel staff very nice and accomodating
we could hear people running around upstairs until late at night

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank ladyrider49
Reviewed 27 October 2013

We stayed at the Cherokee Grand Hotel for three nights. The front desk staff was very helpful and friendly. The main problem we encountered was the cleaning of our room. The first day there was no problem, but by 5 p.m. on the second day it was not yet cleaned. The weekend was coming; they were fully booked; and they must have been shorthanded. We told two of the cleaning people that it was not yet done, but nothing happened. We then went to the front desk, told them the problem, and we were told that they took care of the new incoming guest rooms first and the layovers later. We left for dinner and came back about 2 hours later. The sheet had been pulled up on the bed (but was not neatly done). New towels were put in, but no new shampoo or glasses. We ended up using the same two paper glasses for three days. Not once while we were there did they vacuum the floors. The same stuff was on the floor the entire time. Here's a hint: If you don't book the deluxe room, you will get one of the outside "motel" type rooms instead of one of the newer inner rooms.

Room Tip: Make sure you book a "deluxe" or "upgraded" room. A regular room is one on the...
1  Thank Betty D
Patrick L, Manager at Cherokee Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2013

We would like to apologize for all inconveniences you encountered during your stay. Your comments will not go unheard, and we thank you for letting us know. We are glad that you found the front desk staff to be kind and accommodating. We will be continuing with our renovations as the busy season comes to an end. We do hope that you keep us in mind of any future visits.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

we stayed at a room in the main hotel for one nite after a 13 hour drive....the price was 150 which included a AAA discount and tax...the room was very outdated and dirty for the price we paid...however being tired from a 13 hour drive we decided to stay...willie nelson was in town and so the availability of rooms this evening was very nominal and slim pickings at any hotel in this area...soooo we started to unpack and get ready to go on the shuttle for the casino when we saw the mold over the air conditioning....omg...mold...so we went downstairs and told the front desk about it as we were getting ready to leave for the casino and they were surprised and said to talk to the morning manager as the evening one was gone...we said ok as we fiqured they would do something for us...sooo the next morning we go downstairs to leave and no manager was there...we were leaving so i got the name of the two managers and was assured one of them would call me..NO ONE CALLED ME ....i waited 24 hours...NO ONE CALLED ME..so i called and spoke to heather..i questioned her as to why she never called me on this situation and she brushed it aside and i told her about the mold that i was overcharged for sleeping in that room and i wanted a refund...she told me she needed to talk to her GENERAL manager and would call me back...she did within the hour and told me they would give me a discount on a room the next time...i told her we live 13 hours away and that wasnt acceptable i want to talk to this GENERAL manager myself and she said she would give that person my number...i asked for the NAME of the general manager and she refused to give it to me after i asked her several times...unbelievable.....so guess what people? I NEVER GOT A CALL BACK FROM THIS GENERAL MANAGER....i told heather the whole thing is shady and i wanted to get the number for corprate but she said they r privately owned...guess they have me over a barrel on this one...i tried to stop payment on my card at the bank but they said only in cases of fraud to they do that...so this is my only way of telling people DO NOT STAY HERE...it looks presentable on the outside but it is so bad in the rooms and way way overpriced...poor poor management

Room Tip: sleep somewhere else
1  Thank milleniashopaholic
Reviewed 21 October 2013

When I booked this hotel for a Friday-Saturday weekend visit to the casino, I saw a photo of multi-story hotel with inside rooms. Upon arrival, we were located in a side building ala a 60's motel with entrance from the street. Needless to say we had lots of street and parking lot noise, walls were so thin I could hear the neighbors toilet flush. Room was comfortable but very dated. Carpet needed cleaning, bed was okay.

Rates were not as pricey as the resort but still high for what we got. I didn't realize that housekeeping, except for straightening the bed and fresh towels, was not included. The bathtub/tile was so nasty — dirty and moldy — it grossed me out every time I showered.

The breakfast was nominal but typical; fridge in room was so cold that all our food was frozen. No thermostat to control temperature.

Maybe we should have asked for an interior room but my expectations still might have not been reached at the over $100/night rate. Being privately-owned and sold-out, maybe you can get away with offering less.

So many hotels/motels in this area, you can be choosey when selecting one. Casino has lots of free parking. Some hotels offer shuttle as this one did.

1  Thank Lomaha

We would like to thank you for your comments. We will continue to make improvements to our Hotel on a daily basis.

Reviewed 19 October 2013

The Grand Cherokee Hotel is located across the street and a short walk down from the western entrance of the Harrah's Cherokee Casino/Resort. Despite it's close proximity to the Casino, the hotel offers free shuttles to and from the casino on weekends from 3:00 pm till 3:00 am. Unless you can get a comped room at Harrah's, Grand Cherokee is a great place to stay while gaming in Cherokee. The hotel is also conveniently located for visiting the many local attractions such as Great Smokey Mountain National Park, local waterfalls, historic mountain towns, etc.
The Grand Cherokee is a clean, well appointed, family owned, mountain hotel. It has been recently renovated. Obtained our reservation for a Friday through Saturday visit for around $80.00 per night via an internet site. I was told that the owners live in a large house which is located on the property. There is a 4 story main hotel building. The rooms to the main building are accessed through the lobby. There is also a long row of single story motel style direct walk in rooms. Hotel staff are helpful and friendly. Complimentary hot/continental breakfast served in the lobby until 10:00 a.m. every morning featuring just about anything you might desire for breakfast. The hotel has a swimming pool located in a gated pool area.
Unless we are given comped rooms at Harrah's we would probably stay at the Grand Cherokee next time we go gaming at Cherokee. Please note that my ratings are based on my estimated comparison of similarly situated, similar type hotels.

Room Tip: The hotel's strip of motel style rooms located on the left side of the property allow unincumber...
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Just returned from a Fri-Sun mini-vacation in Cherokee, NC. Went to see all that glorious nature and feel the serenity...OK, let me stop lying, I went there to go to Cherokee's major draw, Harrah's Cherokee casino. As usual, I could not beg, borrow or steal a room within the confines of the actual resort, so I found Cherokee Grand. This was my first time staying off-property. I will continue to try and stay on-property after this when I return. I like pros and cons lists, so:

Pro:
- Chip (works the front desk and drives the shuttle to/from the casino.) He was absolutely delightful to speak with and made sure my elderly mother got safely into and out of the van each time we used the shuttle.
- All of the front desk employees. Every employee would greet us or wish us luck if we were leaving to go to the casino. Several would ask us if we needed anything whenever they saw us.
- The shuttle. You can technically walk to the casino but my mother definitely can't, so this was a great feature to have available. I also didn't lose my parking space and with the place being at capacity, this was a definite possibility.
- There's a fridge/freezer, mini-microwave and coffeepot in the room. We didn't use any of them but I can see them coming in handy.
- Operable window in the room. Never had this feature before but it was nice to just open a window to get in some fresh air.
- Comfortable pillows/mattress. My mother said she'd never slept better in a hotel bed before.

Cons:
- The overall hotel interior needs a major facelift. I get it, if you're making money hand over fist anyway, why make any changes? Why? Because it's no longer 1982 (wallpaper borders, tube TVs, popcorn ceilings and various colors and patterns of bad laminate everywhere.) It would also help justify the per night room amount.
- Linens - the towels were scratchy and the bed linens were showing their age with yellow spots.
- Thin walls. A major complaint at just about every hotel but still, I've been in hotels that do a better job with the sound between the rooms.
- Maid service. Maybe somewhere it says all they'll do everyday is change out the towels in the bathroom but I didn't read it and definitely did not expect it. I was surprised to come back to my room and see the beds hadn't been made and the bathroom floor had not been swept.

Overall, the place is a decent alternative to Harrah's Cherokee when you (inevitably) can't get a room but only just. If they lost Chip or the other front area employees it wouldn't even rate that high.

Room Tip: Even numbered rooms face the steep hill the hotel is cut into. Each floor has a drink and vending ma...
Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family