“a disaster”

Cherokee Grand Hotel
Ranked #23 of 28 Hotels in Cherokee
Reviewed 9 August 2009

Lied about the price upon arrival, rude at desk, male housekeeper was peeping in our window on more then one occasion, (Robert) staring at my granddaughters. He was stopping, staring, backing up looking in window. No shuttle bus available. Iron broke, blow dryer didn't work. WAS TERRIBLE. will never return.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank forgetthispart

Reviewed 22 June 2009

Harrah's was full, Ramada advertised a walk-in special. Go with the inside entry as high up as available for less outside noise. Had a nice pool (we didn't have time to use it). Within walking distance of the casino. Pleasantly surprised with the breakfast. Very clean and friendly.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank GeorgiaYankee65
Reviewed 4 November 2008

The hotel is right across from the casino's parking lot. You could walk to it and catch Harrah's free shuttle to the door or drive to it, park for free and then catch the shuttle. The hotel also has its own shuttle to the casino leaving at specified times throughout the day, ending at 11 pm. I personally wouldn't recommend walking to the casino's entrance, as it's a bit far and there's construction taking place.

My overall experience was fine. The decor is outdated, and there were problems with the room that -although they didn't put a real damper in my stay- didn't speak highly of the cleaning/maintenance staff either. The towel rod in the bathroom was falling off the wall, as was the outside casing for the AC/heat. There was a black substance -mold?- growing around the AC/heating unit as well. I also found a piece of floss in one of the drawers, and a work table in the room was kind of sticky.

I wouldn't completely dismiss this property, but I will likely try another establishment the next time I'm in Cherokee.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled solo
1  Thank thompskr
Reviewed 6 October 2008

After checking prices on different sites on the Internet, I opted to call the hotel directly and actually booked a better price. We wanted to visit Harrah's casino and find a close and reasonable hotel to stay in for the night. The hotel property is clean and accomodating. We had a room with 2 queen beds. It had a microwave and a very small coffee pot. The beds were comfortable and the water pressure in the shower was great. The hotel is located across from the casino, or should I say across the street from the very end of their parking lot (which is huge). We opted to drive over to the casino & park in their lot. I am not sure if they had shuttle service from the hotel to the casino as it was not mentioned at check in nor was it in any of the hotel literature in the room. The staff at the check in desk could have been a bit more eager to help us, not to say we had any problems with them, but they could have presented themselves a bit more friendly (this would have boosted my opinion of the place up a notch). There was a continental breakfast in the a.m. that consisted of juices, coffee, muffins, bagels and a make your own waffle station. Overall, the stay was pleasant & probably would stay again if we were to visit.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank jeepchickzhills
Reviewed 7 September 2008

Stayed with our two teenage children, Staff friendly and helpful, high speed internet worked very well, rooms clean and well maintained. Easy walking distance to the casino
Breakfast nothing special but well kept and had a variety of items.
We would stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 June 2008

This hotel was a disappointment, and I certainly wasn't expecting the Ritz. First problem, our reservation was screwed up, and I even went to the trouble of calling the hotel to book it. I asked for 2 non-smoking rooms on an upper floor because it was just me and a girlfriend and don't want ground floor. They has us down for 1 room. After that was straightened out the guy handed us keys to first floor rooms which I promptly handed back and asked for a higher floor. He said all he could offer was 2nd floor (there were 4 floors). Trust me, this place wasn't sold out. So we took it and thanked God for it.

They advertise that they are across the street from the casino and have a shuttle. What they don't tell you is they are across a 4 lane highway and considerably down that highway from the main entrance to the casino, the entrance being a considerable distance from the casino building itself. So we're thinking no problem, we'll just take the shuttle, which I had confirmed on the phone ran every odd hour until 11pm. Yeah right. They also don't tell you that they can only provide the shuttle if there's more than one person working the desk. We arrived about 4:30 and the guy said the earliest the shuttle would go would be 7pm. So we climb back in the car and use more expensive gas to drive across the road because the hotel can't live up to its promises.

The only bright spots were the bed was really comfortable and the shower was great, excellent water pressure and the strongest shower head I've ever found in a hotel. Was able to wash my hair without spending half an hour rinsing out the soap.

Will definitely never stay here again, the Holiday Inn Express and Fairfield Inn ARE actually directly across from the casino buildng and an easy walk.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 May 2008

This hotel was the cleanest and nices establishment I have ever stayed at. The beds were remarkable and the services was great. I really felt at home the front desk clerks were very nice. If you need just a place to get away this is the place.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with friends