“Great bang for the buck”

Chestnut Tree Inn Cherokee
Ranked #17 of 28 Hotels in Cherokee
Marco Island, Florida
“Great bang for the buck”
Reviewed 28 May 2012

We took a motorcycle trip from Florida to Boston this was one of our stops along the way. The Chestnut Tree Inn is a great hotel at a great price. Unfortunately the onsite restaurant and pool were both closed because it was too early in the season so I cannot comment on those. The room was very clean. Comfortable bed & LCD TV. Their is also guest laundry which is a great perk.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Townville, South Carolina
Reviewed 14 May 2012

Nice looking hotel with friendly staff. Unfortunatley, every room is a smoking room. They offer non smoking, but the smell says otherwise. The restaurant is way overpriced. The breakfast buffet opens late and they charge for milk or juice. The indoor pool was full of kids.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cjd
Reviewed 13 May 2012 via mobile

We truly enjoyed our stay and will always stay here whenever we are in Cherokee.

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank Wood2012
Eden
Reviewed 23 April 2012

My husband and I stayed here only because he was attending a conference and the Chestnut Inn was being paid for by his employer. The rooms were clean enough, and the bed was comfortable, but it was a little dated. However, I have to say for the price, it is very fair. The price does include a breakfast buffet which I am sure many people love, but there is nothing healthy on it! I wish there had been some fresh fruit, cereal, yogurt, bagels, etc. So, for a fair price, you do get a clean room and breakfast. However, if I was paying, I would rather spend a little more and stay at a hotel and get the complimentary breakfast of cereal, fruit, bagels, yogurt or pay for my own...that's just me! I do give the service desk a 5-star rating...they were great!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Pam H
atlanta
Reviewed 28 March 2012

My fiance and I stayed here march 23rd to the 25th. It was an awesome trip. The staff here was very friendly when we checked in. They have the best breakfast in town. The room needs to be updated but we spent most of our time at the casino anyways. We won a jackpot so it was even better to go back to the quiet hotel. I will absolutely stay here again and recommend it to anyone. A lot of the motels in Cherokee are sketchy so we were very happy to stay here when we pulled up. Thank you for a wonderful birthday weekend.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank amy d
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 21 February 2012

We drove 3 hours from TN to NC the Saturday of Presidents Day Weekend we arrived at 11:30 pm and had a reservation at the Comfort Inn across the street. When we arrived to check in the comfort inn said " sorry we don't have a room for you try Bryson City or sleep in your car". Long and horrible story short we went across the street to the Chestnut Inn the clerk on duty Kyle informed us he was booked up but gave us a list of area hotels we could call, he then took our number and said he was in the process of doing his evening paper work and audit the system for doubles. Wonderfully enough he called an hour later with a room. That is great customer service our original reservation wasn't even with them and they went above and beyond the call of duty. The room was clean and everything in good operating order he even gave us a late check out to give us time to recoupe. I would highly recommend because you pay for customer service as well as a room.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Rachel1299
Cary, North Carolina
Reviewed 20 February 2012

The only reason I stayed here is because it's an overflow from Harrah's when they are booked up but are willing to comp you. So they send you to Chestnut Tree Inn. Why they would want to associate themselves with this hotel I'm not sure, but my guess is because this is the best of the empty hotels in the area so there is plenty of room for their guests. We arrive to an attractive lobby done in typical mountain cabin type decor. Check in was "old school" in the way that they didn't check ID, didn't take my credit card, just took my name and gave me keys. I wasn't opposed to this, it made life easier, but it's not exactly the safest practice.

We were told to go around the building, park the car and walk through a breezeway to get to our room. We were put on the back side of the hotel where there is no parking so if you are staying alone and walking through at night, it can be quite scary for sure. Thankfully I only walked in and out with my husband so it was okay.

The room was basic, small and outdated. A small TV, very hard beds, and a bathroom that you can barely turn around in. At first I thought it was clean but then upon entering the bathroom I see a spit ball type thing on the wall with hair stuck into it - GROSS! One wipe of a tissue and it was off so I'm guessing the housekeepers didn't feel like taking the time to get it off because if they had been in there for 30 seconds they would have seen it, it was huge. The longer I spent in the room itself, the more I wished I was back in Harrah's hotel but I just kept telling myself that it was free :)

The breakfast the next morning was complimentary... my husband enjoyed it as it was a "man's country breakfast" complete with grits, biscuits and gravy, sausage, and french toast. Not an ounce of fresh fruit or anything "diet friendly" and the food wasn't that good to begin with. Either way, I was just happy it was time to go home after that.

I gave it 3 stars because it was free. If I had to pay I would have given it a 2 star because in my youth I have stayed in worse and I know there is worse out there but even if Harrah's gave me another free room there I wouldn't stay there.

Room Tip: Try to get one on the front side so you aren't walking through a deserted breezeway at night.