“Would not recommend”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cherokee
Yogi in the Smokies
Shelby, North Carolina
“Would not recommend”
Reviewed 26 June 2013

My two kids and I checked in on Friday June 21, 2013...at appr. 3:00 pm...we set up our campsite and enjoyed the pool for an hour...went to town and came back and enjoyed our campfire...quiet time began at 10 p.m....we went to bed shortly there after...and at 12:30 a.m. we was awaken by the tent campers in the site beside of us...they was very loud and using very vulgar language...they continued to party and talk loud and my 17 year old daughter was very scared and needed to use the bathroom...but would not go outside...finally at 2 a.m. my kids and I thought we had heard enough and decided to leave the campground and get a motel room...I was not sure if the tent campers that was making the noise was under the influence or not so I told the kids to go straight to the car and not to talk to any of them...at this point the safety of my kids was top priority to me...after getting to the motel room I called the campground to report what was going on and I received the answering machine...I did leave a message and explained what happened...I returned the next morning to pack up my camp and speak with the manager...the manager was not in at the time however I did speak with one host that heard the noise and chose not to confront the people at that time in the morning...I also spoke to another host that stated they could not do anything unless we called at the time of the noise...I may also add after speaking to the second host I was left feeling that the whole incident was my fault... I did not get the chance to talk to the manager...I have called and left a message but have not received a call back at this time... I was going to ask for a refund for the two nights I paid for and did not get to stay even one night due to the noise and safety concerns at the campground... at this point I cannot and would not recommend this campground to anyone...KOA has my vote at this time...Feel free to email...skniceley@msn.com

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
10 Thank Shawn K

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Georgia
Reviewed 11 June 2013 via mobile

By far this is my favorite destination. I've camped at the beach, mountains, state parks, private campgrounds and Disney once. Disney is tops, but it is 500 miles away. Cherokee is my favorite. Yogi is the best I have found in Cherokee. All the complainers on here, stay away.... More fish for ME! The trout fishing is great!

I've never had an issue with the staff. I've been coming here once to twice a year since 2007. Love Yogi in the Smokies!

Stayed April 2013
fishcamping
Reviewed 8 June 2013

I have read some of the other reviews and the ones that have bad things to say about this camp ground have never camped to start with when you go camping it is going to rain and you will get wet and you will have ant's bug's and spiders. I have camped at several places in cherokee and this place to me is the best of them all yes i have had the staff tell me a couple times after quit hours to keep it down yes we did get a little loud and you do have people trying to sleep but it was not the staff that was in the wrong it was me I told them we where sorry and we kept it down but for the other staff and memebers of yogis they do a wonderfull job they are very help full and we will stay again it is a great campground for families to stay at good fishing great place so for the first time campers if you can't handle the out doors stay else where Iwould love to take every 1 of these people with bad reviews camping the way it is supose to be out in the woods by a river with no power no water but the river and no bathroom but behind a tree now that is camping did it for serval years so when i go to a place that has water and power and an bath room yes I'm in the most 5 star place there is Yogi keep up the good job wonder full place to visit and will see yall soon

Room Tip: Just remember it's camping not a HOTEL
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank fishcamping
Windermere, Florida
Reviewed 29 March 2013

We checked in during the first week of the season so the place was rather empty, once we checked in someone took us over to our cabin (off river), the cabin had a nice screened in porch two of my kids (19-15) quickly made themselves at home in the loft (2 full beds) my third child used the pull out couch in the living room. The cabin had a full fridge, stove microwave, coffee maker and all the pots and pans and utensils that you need. We brought our own linens as instructed. I cannot review any of the kids activities because it was too early in the year but the gave us a sheet of everything they do over the summer and it looked like a lot. The store and both necessities and Yogi Bear gifts you could buy. Thank you to Jenny and staff for the nice stay,

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Steve F
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 11 September 2012

The name has changed to "Yogi in the Smokies" campground. I arrived after the office had closed, but before I could begin to wonder where to check for my key someone pulled up on a golf cart and handed me the envelope with the key and showed me to my cabin.
This campground has campsites and cabins for rent. The cabin I stayed in was very small, but also very clean and everything was in good working order. There was a coffee pot, small refrigerator and microwave, all sparkling clean. Be sure to bring your own bed linens and towels. Those are not provided, and renting enough for a family will be expensive. It is also a good idea to bring some coffee mugs that can go in the microwave and whatever you may need for the kitchen. None of the plates, glasses, silverware or paper products for the kitchen are provided.
The campground has a very nice pool and activities all through the day for children. I think you could tube on the stream that runs by the campground, and they have tubes for rent or sale incase you don't bring one. There is a store with lots of items you may have forgotten to bring at fairly reasonable prices.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank micarooni
Indiana
Reviewed 24 August 2012

We stayed at the campground in July 2012. We have stayed at this campground several times in the past, the last being summer of 2001. I was shocked when I saw how much smaller the camp sites were. Since 2001, they have added several cabins and sites. In addition, the roads or sites had not been graveled in some time. It rained every day we were there, resulting in HUGE mud holes on the sites and on the road! The mud was TERRIBLE! Some leveling and a whole lot of gravel are in order!
We did not have problems with the staff, but several of the people we camped with did. They were especially rude to an elderly couple we were with, claiming they had reserved for 5 when it was just the two of them. The lady at the front said they would be down to make sure they didn't have 5 people, and they did! It was somewhat irritating to have the staff riding around the camp on their golf carts "checking" on you all the time!
Another issue that the party next door had was with their pets. The couple had left their dogs in a pen when they went into town. Evidently, one of the dogs got loose, so the staff confiscated ALL of the dogs and would not return them until the next morning! They wouldn't even let them check on the dogs! When the couple went to pick up their dogs there was no food or water and one of the dogs was badly tangled around his legs by a leash.
We went ahead and booked for next year, but ONLY because we have heard that there will be new managers! Hopefully they will work on the sites to make them better in the rain and will be a little more pleasant and accommodating!
On the plus side, the bath houses were very clean, the pool is clean, there are several activities including AWESOME tubing.
Entering the park is somewhat daunting as the homes are very unkempt and there is a lot of garbage.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank JenPIndiana
La Grange, Kentucky
Reviewed 16 August 2012

Wow, what a beautifull park! I recommend the "back" of the campground. We stayed in cabin 214. The kids loved it (10yrs and7yrs) we had only been there about 30 mins and they were already asking if we could come back. It was so relaxing eating breakfast on the front porch in the swing. We only stayed 2 nights, next time we will plan at least 4 nights if not longer! Loved it. The only negative...the fire extinguisher hadnt been checked since 2007.

• Stayed July 2012