“Winter 2014” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 28 Hotels in Cherokee
Gretna, Louisiana
“Winter 2014”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

My husband & I wanted to get away for Mardi Gras and headed to Cherokee without reservation. We arrived about 4pm and saw the River Edge Hotel. We went in the lobby and was told we were the only guest for the next few days and no one was going to be there. They gave us a great rate and loaded us down with towels. The room was very clean. There wasn't a lot of traffic this time of year. Other than the bubbling river it was so quiet. We walked over to Paul's to eat and walking back the Elk was in the middle of the road. We quickly got to the balconies and watched them till it was too dark to see them. It was a very nice weekend. I would definately stay there again.

Room Tip: Get lower rooms.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank BonnWatt
EconoCherokeeMgmt, Manager at River's Edge Motel, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Thank You for you review. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. Glad the Elk were out for your viewing pleasure. We hope you will allow us to serve you again soon and once again Thank You.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Greenville, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

Very nice clean hotel with balconies overlooking the river. Would stay again. Fuzzy picture on TVs but there to enjoy nature not watch TV. Nice helpful staff. Great value. No breakfast but there is coffee in the room.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Brian D
We are so glad you enjoyed you stay with us. Our staff takes great pride in our hotel. We hope you will consider us for your next trip to Cherokee.Again Thank You
Dedham, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

We selected to stay in Cherokee for the night as it is the start of the Blue Ridge Highway and had good access to the Smokies
I do the hotel selection for trips that my husband and I take and I chose this motel based on reviews on this web site. The carpeted balcony and the location overlooking the river were a plus but the room was fair and the fan in the bathroom was overly loud. I am sensitive to noise and could still hear the cars on the road overnight. Given the reviews I also expected extremely friendly service at the desk but found it to be just average.
The location was good. We were able to walk to dinner at Paul's and then had breakfast the pancake restaurant. Getting out was not a problem as long as one is careful. Should we ever make another trip to the area I would most likely choose one of the chains.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank JackieJoM
EconoCherokeeMgmt, Manager at River's Edge Motel, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Thank You for reviewing our Hotel. We are so0rry that we did not meet with you standards. The bathroom vents have never been an issue before. We hope you will give us the oppertunity to serve you again in the future. Again we appricate your stay and hope you will allow us to serve you again.
Copper Hill, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

My husband, step son and I spent the night here last week and it was quite nice. Not the Hilton but the room was updated, the balcony over the river was very relaxing. It is extremely close to the road but as long as you are careful there's no real problem. The office closes at pm which they tell you ahead of time which is nice. When we got up to check out at 9:30 the next morning the office was not open so we along with some other travelers left our keys in our rooms. No instructions on what to do if they weren't open and no 'drop box' to put the key in. Over all a good clean place to stay.

Room Tip: No fluff here, no swimming pool but the river balconys are relaxing.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope you will allow us to serve you again. Thank You
Tellico Plains, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

as many of our weekend road trips, we grabbed a bag, last minute, rode through the Smokies Park, into Cherokee, and I had though we would get a room anywhere we could if we decided to stay over and explore the next day, and my first thought was the balconies over the river, we had scoped out places from the last visit, and I liked the rooms over the river with the balcony, remembered the name, then we went there on a Saturday evening, no reservation, they had rooms available, checked out the room. it was updated from the paint, furniture, door handles, lights, bathroom, everything... we just needed a small room for 2, overnight, or longer, they had small rooms and larger ones, the small room was perfect for us, and did I mention I loved the carpeted balcony over the river ? no bugs on the floor outside, clean, inside and out, the price was right for the room, not bad, and the employees were over friendly, and helpful with needs. its one of those places unlike the chain motel/hotels, that makes you say I would go back year after year, or in our case many times a year living so close.

Room Tip: the smaller rooms are perfect for a couple, and bring a cooler for drinks, finger food etc. many re...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank NLY_2000
Thank You for your review. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope you will return and enjoy our balconys to the fullest. Again Thank You
Gray Court, South Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

I read the reviews and thought this place would be, I have to say we were disappointed. If you are going to spend a lot of time in the hotel looking over the balcony, then there is a nice view of the river. However, there is no swimming pool and I didn't see a way down to the river. Also, this hotel is right beside the road, when you back up you are backing into the road. I booked through Expedia and for some reason I guess I just left it at 2 adults even though we planned to take our two children ages 18 and 4. After I went in to ask Sandi (the clerk) a question she asked the age of my daughter. I told her that my daughter was 18 and she said there was an extra $10 per night charge because she was an adult. We paid the extra $20 because we were there for 2 nights, I really wish I would have asked for a receipt because when I go back in to Expedia and put in 3 adults and 1 child there is not a $10 increase in the price. I would not be staying here again and I am really surprised it is the #2 hotel in Cherokee.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank martinezsc
The industry standard for rate is and has been number of guests in the room. Your Daughter at 18 years of age is considered an adult. We hope you undwestand this and hope to have the oppertunity to serve you again un the future. Again Thank You.
Crossville, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

Spent one night while visiting smokey mountain national park. Can not get any closer to the river. Good help and extra clean. Will stay again when in the area. Local eatery good local food. Good area to look for native american items.

Room Tip: All rooms are on the river.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank You for review we are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope you will consider us for your next trip to Cherokee. Again Thank You.