“Clean budget lodging in Cherokee”
Review of Cherokee Lodge

Cherokee Lodge
Ranked #16 of 28 Hotels in Cherokee
Reviewed 31 January 2013

There were several nice things about this motel. The front desk staff was pleasant. Rooms have outside entrances, which we liked. We also liked having a first floor room. Our room, which was larger than most motels, was very clean and well-maintained. The TV, an older model, provided all the channels we were interested in watching. The mattress was marvelous and we slept quite well.

Upon check-in, we were given a sheet "for TV channel listings." The top portion of this same sheet included a price list of items from their rooms because "We have a lot of guests wanting to purchase items. . ." Really? $40 for a blow dryer? $8 for a pillowcase? $5 for a pitiful rag of a washcloth? The sheet was very clear in stating I would be charged if any make-up was left on one of their linens or towels/washcloths. Hope I didn't soil anything! The front desk had stated that my credit card would only be used for damages, as our room was "comped" through Harrahs. I look forward to seeing my credit card bill, and will be absolutely furiously if I am charged for "damages!"

Other downers - there's no in-room refrigerator, which we usually use when staying at a motel. Ice is only in the lobby (our room was at the far end). We enjoy the continental breakfast most motels provide, but Cherokee Lodge does NOT offer this, and the closest restaurant is over 1 mile away.

I do not plan to stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a first floor room. Take your own washcloth!
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ZaWink5012

Reviewed 10 December 2012

After reading some reviews, I was hesitant to stay here. But, upon my arrival, my fears were for nothing. The staff is wonderful. The rooms are clean and the location is perfect. I was traveling on my own, so was happy to stay at a place where I felt safe. I will be going back to Cherokee Lodge again. You can beat them for good southern hospitality and friendliness. Everything was clean and the bed was very comfortable. Good place for families and groups to stay.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank blueeeyesbaby123
Reviewed 3 December 2012

I enjoyed my stay, and the rooms were clean. For some reason my cards wouldn't go through for the $50 deposit. My room was comped through Harrah's Cherokee, this is among a list of problems with them subbing out stays at surrounding area hotels, there's nothing they can do is what I was told by their representative. I paid a $50 cash deposit, Cherokee Lodge requires for you to even get a room/key at all. Noon the next day front desk, Manager has no idea about my deposit, and I really didn't like his tone. Called Michael twice and left my address both times to mail my deposit, and was told that he would. This review may change IF I EVER receive my deposit, otherwise it will not.

Room Tip: Never use cash for deposit.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
6  Thank Chris72nc
Reviewed 28 October 2012

Travelled to Cherokee with 2 girlfriends for a weekend at Harrah's. Harrah's gave us this hotel, for a reduced rate per our "comps". Harrahs - you really need to find another hotel in the area for this purpose. When we were checking in, there were a stack of papers on check-in desk, but no one mentioned anything about picking one up, so I did. I'm sure others have passed this by, but if you stay here, you really need to pick one up. It was a list of things in the rooms, that if you would like to "purchase" an item in the room, this was basically a type of "price list". Really???...I want the "polar fleece blanket" for $75.00...or the "No Smoking Sign" for $5.00??!! Everything in the room had a price on it, but the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen was - and this was printed on the paper - "Ladies - please use the make-up removal cloths we provided, otherwise, if there is makeup on the towels, sheets, etc., you will be charged accordingly". I cannot think of any reason to return to this hotel. And, all units are exterior corridors. The hotel is also a little over 2 miles from the casino. They offer shuttle service to casino, but this doesn't begin until 4pm...with return trip at 2am and that's it. I would choose another hotel in the area.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank southicedtea
Reviewed 13 October 2012

The location was convenient for the Cherokee area and casino, The hotel was clean and the bed was very comfortable. Looks are deceiving, because when my husband and I arrived we were sceptical with the outside appearance and the lobby but was pleasantly surprised when we got to our room. Its a 2 storey building but instead of elevator they have a concrete ramp that takes you to the 2nd floor - very smart indeed! The drive thru the Smokey Mountains was the most amazing part of the trip.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 September 2012

We got placed in an outside property on this casino trip. Rooms were basic, but clean. The beds were comfortable. The pool is not impressive. No breakfast. Room had iron and blow dryer. Curtains are short and let light through in the morning..

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 August 2012

Upon arrival I had a confirmation for a room with two-queen beds. I get there and am told that there isn't any rooms of that type left. We traveled all the way from Columbia to get there. Luckily she had a room with One King Size Bed. So on our merry way we went. The room is a basic room nothing fancy but was okay. Well we stayed for two nights and left. A week later I check my account and have a charge of $300 on it. I call and ask "Why" it was suppose to have been paid by the casino. The manager tells me that he found a pet blanket and dog food in the corner in the bathroom. There is a no pet policy so that is what the charge was for. I know people are out to make money but this is ridiculous. My husband and I are upstanding citizens. We have a dog, he is a boxer mix but we left him in a kennel for the weekend. We drive a rental car which has a no dog policy but yet I had a dog. The rental company says "No dog in this car" but I had a dog. When I ask the manager of this hotel, did it smell like a dog, was their hair all over, the response is "No". Okay, if I had a dog, there would be hair and there would be a smell. No complaints for those two days of a dog barking, no one saw us with a dog. We visited the front desk person several times because of a light bult that was burnt out, which the mntce. man changed in our room, but no dog was found and we even got locked out of our room because the safety latch fell down and you couldn't open the door. No mtnce. man around. No tools to help us. We had to take a piece of cardboard and muscle to pry the darn thing open. But yet, no dog barking but yet we had a dog. Unbelievable. I even offered to fax the papers showing that I boarded the dog for that weekend and he still won't refund me my money. Is there no HONEST PEOPLE in this world anymore? I am just appalled. I will not be staying there again and if you value your pocketbook, I would not stay there either.

Trust me, this isn't a review that is false in anyway. It is all fact and I don't think I will ever forget this and hey what a way to remember your 15 year wedding anniversary.

Unsatisfied Customer.

Room Tip: I would visit the Baymont Hotel in Cherokee. Very nice place and reasonable. Much better service a...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple