“Interesting but dishonest”

Ranked #11 of 31 things to do in Cherokee
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Interesting but dishonest”
Reviewed 18 July 2014

I went there about two weeks ago and had an ok experience . The art and info were displayed beautifully, so that wasn't the problem. When I was buying the tickets, the sign on the desk said it was $10 for adults and $6 for kids. I didn't notice until after I had left there that they had charged me $20 more. I bought 2 adult tickets and 1 kid ticket, making the total $26. They charged me $46. I was very disappointed with this. It wasn't so much the money but the way in which they did this. I felt cheated. The museum itself was beautiful, but with service like that, I wouldn't go again.

1 Thank sheila a

georgia
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“an outstanding collection ofcherokee memorabiia and memories”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

an array of interesting objects and images telling the story of a great and noble people. you will learn something about this ancient culture something of interest for everybody

Visited June 2014
1 Thank kingofone
Mount Airy, North Carolina
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Enjoyable, extensive, thought-provoking”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Adult entry fee- $10. Children 6 to 12- $6. Under 5- free.
Hours: 9-5 Sunday through Saturday (summer weekdays are extended to 7)

I highly recommend the Cherokee Heritage Museum to anyone interested in the history of the American South, archeology, or Native Americans. We strolled through at a leisurely pace in 2 hours and I read about 90% of the material. The museum boasts a large collection of artifacts and great attention to detail. The Paleo, Archaic, and Mississippian periods are covered in chronological order. This is NOT a just a room of arrowheads- there are plenty of artifacts you haven't seen elsewhere. Emissaries of Peace with the British and the Trail of Tears also are covered. The cultural displays are particularly interesting. My personal favorites included the books written in Cherokee and the "Boogerman" mask.

(Facility) The museum was well-kept and clean. All of the glass enclosures were streak-free. The staff kept to themselves up at the front desk and gift shop, which I like.

(Child concerns) Unless of personal significance or interest, children under 12 may not find this museum intriguing. The displays are mostly PG with one or two that included some violent acts depicted or implied. It is of not great concern- just wanted to mention it since some kids are leery around Native American Indians from watching westerns and the like.

(Gift shop) The museum gift shop is an excellent place to obtain books about the Cherokee, including some useful resources for genealogy (roll calls). Some items are a bit overpriced, but are not widely available. Along with the plethora of souvenirs, there are numerous stuffed critters for the kids that serve as a reward for not whining all the way through the museum.

I enjoyed my visit and will return in the future. We visited in March, so the surrounding area was not busy at all. My companion and I were the only people in the museum at the time. If you are going to be in Cherokee, I highly recommend a visit while there!

Visited March 2014
2 Thank SamanthaTeal89
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Gotta go here!”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Brings the saga of the Cherokee to a deeper understanding. Our ten-year-old granddaughter did not tire of the exhibits at all having see Unto These Hills the evening before. She was very interested in the exhibits and even pointed out things she had learned from the drama upon approaching the exhibit (and she is NOT a history buff like me). Allow at least 2 hours. Well worth your time to become more educated about this terrible part of our American history.

Richmond, Virginia
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 95 helpful votes
“Informative but a little dim”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Plan on spending almost two hours reading everything in this museum, which is absolutely packed with displays, maps, artifacts, and dioramas. One complaint: many of the miniature dioramas were so dimly lit that we couldn't read the placards. In many cases, we couldn't see the point of the dim lighting--it was very difficult to see the detail of the figures and structures. Take note, management: if we can't see it, we can't enjoy it! Still, well worth the time if you're interested in the tragic history of the Cherokee tribe.