“Great Property, professional staff. Good value” 5 of 5 bubbles

Harrah's Cherokee Casino Resort
Ranked #1 of 28 Hotels in Cherokee
GreenLeadersSilver level
Atlanta, Georgia
“Great Property, professional staff. Good value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2011

We stayed at Harrah's Cherokee Casino & Hotel over Thanksgiving. We are in the hotel industry and understand what it takes to create a quality property. The partnership of the Eastern Band of Cherokee and Harrah's did a truly impressive job of developing a unique, Eastern Band experience with a professional staff to man it. The food was excellent and our room was well appointed and comfortable. We also thought the gaming floor was well designed and inviting.

Room Tip: The higher rooms offer a view.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,428)
  • Korean first
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2011

Hotel room HUGE! Beds are comfy, only thing missing is a heavy quilt to help you feel like you are one with the mattress. VERY CLEAN, lots of walking though, don't know how all the seniors do it.

• Stayed November 2011
2 Thank mdunn64
travelers rest, sc
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2011

The hotel and scenery is wonderful. Cannot wait for the compleation of the hotel. What a gem. My only complaint was the staff. Some were helpful and nice with a smile. We had some that were very rude and acted as though we were a bother just for asking a question. About a 50/50 on staff. It was Thanksgiving week end and i know they were busy......but, no excuse.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank 72cheryl
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2011

Didn't think we'd have to read reviews about a Harrahs Casino before we left - but wishing we had.

Harrahs in Cherokee was supposed to be our date night away from the kids while on our vacation and we were totally disappointed. Everything was "video" and "digital", no cards, no chips, not even tokens for the slot machines. That is NOT the casino experience. I want to have playing cards in my hands and chips on the table. When I play the slot machines, I want to see, hear and feel the coins when I win - not on some screen w/ a card swipe - I can do that at home. Plus no one seemed to be winning anything and the overall moral of the players ranged from frustrated to hopeless. No happy smiling faces - no excitement.

We didn't stay and I refused to put money on a card to gamble so we tried to go dinner - the menus were so-so and the prices were EXORBITANT. We left - they didn't get a dime from us and we'll probably not be going back.

The whole experience was a complete let down and for those with limited time for vacationing - don't waste it here...

Room Tip: Don't waste your time or money...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank riefderrico
NC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2011

Hotel room was in the Mountain Tower. The room was so spacious that at first I though it was a handicap room. From the inside wall to the first double bed was about 18 inches. It was about 5 feet between the 2 double beds. Then about 4 feet between the second bed and the outside wall. The toilet is in a closet in the bathroom, behind a pocket door. Room safe used either a 4 digit code or swipe your own card (not your room key). Room was clean. No odors. No prints on glass surfaces. Tile grout was clean. During the second day I wanted to store something in the refrigerator, but it was missing. Stopped at the front desk to complain and was told that they already knew and was replacing it. For the heck of it I went right back to the room; and met a service person leaving the room - she had just put in the replacement refigerator.
$11.95 per day for Internet. Intenet is free at McDonalds, a few miles away.
Chefs Stage buffet dinner is $23.50 pp. Paul Deen's is a la carte. There is a $13 pp breakfast buffet. Until it runs out of food there is a dinner buffet starting about 5 p.m. for $19.
Hotel guests get free valet parking at the hotel parking deck. Casino valet is $12.
There are no more parking lot shuttles. Use the parking decks. Get used to walking.
Construction work continues making for interesting walks between the hotel and casino and within the casino. With each visit expect different layouts and walking routes until the construction stops. There were electric carts shuttling between the upper level of the casino and the second floor of the hotel.
Poker is digital. Tues. and Thurs. evening tournaments. During November 2011 buy-in was $60. Before playing in the poker room one must go to the cage and deposit funds to a poker account. A player card is required. Get all this done early. Tournment registration closes 15 minutes before seating.
Digital craps: 5 player stations. The 5 stations, table screen and other equipment take as much room as a regular table. A timer determines the time period for making bets before the dice are offered for a roll. Once I learned how to use the touch screen to make bets it seemed to take forever before the dice rolled. The individual player screens are easy to see and comprehend. The other buttons, player card slot, bill/ticket input slot, ticket out slot, and attendant/playercard information display are not in user friendly places. Minimum pass line bet is $2.
While walking about, I saw a person hit a slots jackpot. When she saw me she told me to be quiet. She did not want to draw attention. I asked her if she felt unsafe. She said , "No. the place is safe." She just did not want to be noticed and would take the payout quietly.
Although I do not play them, it appeared to me that there was a greater variety of slots and video poker than what I remember from previous visits.
Because the Cherokee area continues to change it is worthwhile to explore outside the casino.

2 Thank MnineM
Conway, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2011

My wife and I have been coming to Harrahs Cherokee every year as part of our annual birthday/anniversary get-a-way. Two years ago we agreed to wait until the construction was almost completed to come back. We wanted to see what would be a close representation of the new Harrahs. I do have to say that the walk from our room to the casino was not bad at all. I understand that if you have mobility issues that it can be more than difficult. ( I am only 55 and not in the best of condition and enjoyed the walk.) Check in was quick and easy and sampled food from Paula Deans, the Food Court and the Noodle Bar. All were good with the exception of the Noodle Bar. Being a 27 year Army vet, I spent many years in Southeast Asia and loved the food. We only sampled 2 dishes. The Dim Sum and Kimchi Fried Rice. The Dim Sum was marginal at best and the Kimchi Fried Rice was unacceptable. It tasted like minute rice with a few chopped onions and peas stirred up with maybe a tablespoon of finely chopped kimchi in it. Now as for the room, we were in the Creek Tower and it was very nice. Housekeeping was always available for our needs and the casino action was about the same as usual for Cherokee. I think we left with about 200 more than we came with. Now as for the Spirit of Harrahs Cherokee.....well, let's just say its not there. The atmosphere was more like Atlantic City or maybe close to Vegas. At least for us, coming to Cherokee all these years is more for our past memories, experiences and atmosphere. I do not see or feel the "Spirit" and allure of the placeonce had. A casino can bee exciting reguardless of where it is located. Vegas is Vegas, Tahoe is Tahoe, AC is AC. Let Cherokee be Cherokee but with the excitement of being a newer larger casino.

1 Thank Maynard M
Marietta,ga
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2011

The hotel and casino have come along way in the past four years. They have almost the same things as a casino in Las vegas, except for real table games . The new buffett is just as good as the one in paris . The smoking has gotton better since the casino has opened up more. I hope they will put in a new pool and hot tub, since the one they have now needs alot of work done to it.

1 Thank shu340