“Nice Stay but....”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Houston
“Nice Stay but....”
Reviewed 29 April 2014

The hotel check in was easy and this being our first time there and our rooms had been comped not going to insult, but has some issues. The staff was very courtious and helpful, the Soco Tower room which I believe is the newer of the rooms with power saving attributes. The room itself was fine and very adequate for our needs. We had room service which was very quick no long waiting time and they always called to make sure it met our requirements.
Be prepared for lots of walking. I had read how huge the place is, and it is. The casino was not paying off for us but does not seem like it does as a standard. Did not care for how random the slots were, there were video and reel slots all next to one another. Coming from the Coastal region the drinks are free as long as you are playing. Here they are not, and are very pricey.
That is really no big deal, but quite a change from what we were use to.
The area is very beautiful, and we did a lot of driving around to see the mountains and scenery.
I would stay there again, but just remember lots of walking but it is nice.
If you there mulitiple nights, the housekeeping barley cleans your room for the extended stay.
They replace cups and tidy up a bit, but do not vacuum or make the bed, more just straighten the bedspread.

Green Features: The lighting is very dim in the rooms but you get use to it. The window curtains open during the day allows all you need.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank dkroberson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,801)
  • Korean first
Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

This hotel is beautiful. The staff is friendly and helpful. Being able to walk directly to the casino is nice. We went while it was snowing and it was only 2 degrees outside and it allowed us to enjoy the view but keep us warm.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tondawilltravel
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Very impressed with the updated tower rooms.
Pro's: Comfy bed, chic room style, huge TV, very clean
Con's: our "great view" was of a parking lot, couldn't figure out how to work the room lights - we are 20 something's and barely found the touch pad by the door.

The casino had a lot of broken slots, but the atmosphere was fun and exciting. Great place to spend St. Patricks day.

Room Tip: Don't pay extra for a "good view", stay in the tower!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Twinkybean
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Our Asheville Video and Video Brevard teams completed a job early in nearby Maggie Valley and decided to the make the trip.
The good: Great black rules at Harrah's Cherokee/ 3:2, resplit, double after splits
Ultra super friendly staff - 100% were excellent Harrah ambassadors
Eye pleasing building design and decor
The walkway along the river
Easy parking for our equipment truck
The not so good: too much cigarette smoke everywhere in the casino
: restaurant prices

On balance, the visit was good enough we'll certainly return when in the area.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Channel_70
Atlanta
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

Been coming every few months since Harrahs completed their $650 million renovation. Returned over the weekend and was surprised how worn everything looked. I couldn't play my favorite slots because several buttons had fallen off. Several slots had broken bill feeders and more often than not the old style glass tube screens were blurry. Many slots had broken speakers so there was no sound even in a bonus round.

I was thrilled the prior visit with all of the new video poker machines, an area that needed a major upgrade. The new multi game machines were state of the art and even remembered my favorite game when I inserted my player card. To my dismay, they are all pretty much gone. The remaining video poker machines are a sorry lot. They are left over from the original casino selection and are so old the screen images shake and are out of focus. These old upright style video poker machines also require you to reach up to hold card so your arms quickly become tired.

I also looked for some of the newer machines like Quick Hit Wheel of Fortune that I had played at the Hard Rock in Tampa, but they did not have any of these newer games.

I suppose the new casino Cherokee is building in Murphy is sapping their budget, but neglecting the original will not do much to help business. I won this trip but left after a few hours. A run down casino is not my idea of fun.

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
6 Thank Reldim
Kansas City
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Bed was VERY comfortable. Adjustable room temperature was great.

I booked half of my stay online using my comps but had to call to manually add a blacked out date -- for a hefty $289/night price. Upon arrival, Harrah's pulled a bait and switch on my from my Mountain Tower Luxury non-smoking reservation to a Soco Tower Premium smoking room. The front desk staff switched my room from smoking to non-smoking without any hassle but I remained in the Soco Tower.

Overall the hotel room did NOT scream luxury, at all -- from the blood stain on the top of the white bed spread to the out dated furniture and sparse electrical outlets. Wi-Fi was available -- for a fee. Hot water was hit or miss from the shower and water pressure from shower head was non-existent.

Staff throughout casino were more than polite - enjoyable, helpful responses from almost every staff member I came in contact with. Casino handled WSOP traffic efficiently.

Table game selection was minimal at best. Layout of the casino was confusing. Casino floor was dark and dreary. Slot machines were way out dated but at least they paid -- at little.

Overall, this casino was a one-hit-wonder for me.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
7 Thank badkinz
Athens, Georgia, United States
Reviewed 17 April 2014

The rooms in the Creek Tower feature a reading alcove that much enhances your stay. The other 2 towers are nice but pale in comparison to Creek. The service is good, the staff are friendly, and the bed is scrumptious. My only negative is having to pay for wifi - not just per room but per device. Ouch.

Room Tip: Get above the third floor if you want a scenic view
Green Features: Harrah's has gone green in a big way. Their commodes provide two levels of flushing as needed. Linens and towels are reused unless you opt to have fresh ones
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple