“Great Trip!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Greensboro NC
“Great Trip!”
Reviewed 14 September 2010

Great trip! New slot sections were great! Even won a little moolah.... This is a great place to go and play slots.... you folks with negative comments need not come back if you are so unhappy. Hotel was wonderful.. Staff was great... I plan on coming back..

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,833)
  • Korean first
Asheville
Reviewed 11 September 2010

we have been 7 stars for the last 3 years and as tight as the games are now we are barely back to diamond. we have always been loyal customers to this cosino. actually i was the first person to win $100,000.00 from this casino and we can never get a room in house. we really used to like to go to cherokee, but now you know that you take a couple hundreds of dollars and never come home with them.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
L'ville, GA
Reviewed 11 September 2010

I am a Diamond player, and each time I visit Cherokee I wonder why I decided to try them again. This was my first visit since they opened up the new areas. (Large non-smoking area and the new slot, bar and lounge area near the front entrance) It looks nice, but the slots were even tighter than in previous trips, if that is possible! I don't know why they can't allow their players to have a little fun. They are raking in millions and their slots are tighter than any casino I have ever visited. They have no competition in the area, so I guess they really don't care.
Our room was nice, as usual, although there were some things that are showing alot of wear and tear.
We visited the temporary buffet that they set up in one of the conference center rooms, after closing the Selu Gardens and Sycamore restaurants. The food was good, but not enough variety and it is too pricey. Since the Fresh Market Buffet is also a little too expensive for what they offer, and the quality of the food, you have no where to sit down and have a good meal at a reasonable price like you could when Selu Gardens was still open.
My husband and I used to be regular visitors (sometimes 2 or 3 times a month), in the first 5 or 6 years that they were open, and we used to have so much fun, win or lose, without spending a small fortune. In the last 3 years my husband won't even visit the casino anymore. l visit every 3 or 4 months, but I have left there on the last few visits greatly disappointed at not having enjoyed myself.
It would be worth it to drive the extra distance to visit Biloxi or Tunica.

2 Thank GAgal53
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 10 September 2010

spent labor day weekend in gatlinburg, tn.. avoided the crowds by staying at Harrahs in cherokee, nc .. beautiful and serene setting.... about 25miles over the mountain but worth every minute... views breathtaking and many areas for picture moments... the hotel itself is a bit smokey, but overall a wonderful place to stay... even if you don't gamble, it's worth the drive.

Dallas, Georgia
Reviewed 9 September 2010

First of all, What is with all this lousy reviews? This Casino/Hotel/Resort is very nice. We stayed in a King Room w/excellent service from ALL hotel/valet/room service/bell hop period! The room was extremely clean and very spacious. Beds are confortable and pillows are comfy too. Room Service is very polite and courteous.
Alittle over priced but it is room service.
The pool area had only adults there when we went and ample towels was provided. We did not use the fitness room or arcade area, but it looked nice. The buffet is just like any other country buffet and it is over priced. It was good and we got full but still way to much and we even used our comps. Lunch was 21.20 or so and we used comps but still.

The casino is smokey, however there are alot of people there. They do have non smoking areas but you will have to walk to them. They are not close to the main center but more like in wings off center of casino.
Alcohol is $3.00 for beer... We bought a couple but I think it should be free.

My complaints are this.... Way way way to much trash around the slot machines (drink cups, bottles, ash trays full) they really need to tighten up on this mess. Ticket/Redemption center machines are a long walk from anywhere and they need more late late night dining choices. They need to hire more cocktail servers to walk about also. The drink areas are long walks from any given section and who wants to leave their machine?

As far as things to do. This area is beautiful. The casino/resort has tons of areas to explore and stores to shop. We had a picnic on the river and bought sandwhiches from the second floor cafe cappacino place to do it... gorgeous patios to relax and many places to unwind and experience the surroundings.

We think the slots are not as tight as people here say. You really need to go with the thought of being entertained. We won$100 on a penny slot, $50.00 on a Keno Machine and another $100 on a 25 cent slot.

We stayed from Monday the 6th and left Thursday the 9th.ALL COMP'ED We spent our bankroll but would have walked away a couple hundred dollars ahead if we slept instead of kept going to play.

Our biggest biggest complaint is lousy comps. Hard to even get a room comp'ed when you do get a free room. SO the second you get one call. Don't wait. Also losy buffet and show comps - nothing for us until we play like forvever over 4 or 5 trips, then we might work our way to 2 free buffets.

Other than that it really is a nice place, just use your common sense.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GamingGal
Central Georgia
Reviewed 8 September 2010

Avoid the buffets at all costs, Fresh Market is not worth standing in line 1,5 hours for. Food is cold, and you may wait for items that might be good, if you get them, the server will put the new food on top of the old tongs, so take his so you can fill your plate. As for Over the Creek (maybe we shouldn't quite call it Paula Deans yet, because if she saw what a cluster mess this is, she may not want her name on it. Once again there are lines, not an hour but lines. Its set up poorly where the hostess has to go behind you to enter you into the computer. She's fast, but...you still wait. Once you;r e seated there is a good chance you will regret not bringing your soft drink from home or the casino. Our last visit we did not get a drink. We sat there for 45 minutes and no waitress came up. lots went by and even a few managers looked over us. I did tell the hostess, and the
nice chefs that do the pasta and prime rib (turns out the poor guys are sous chefs). Several people told our waitress we needed drinks. By the time my husband finished his dessert, and I put our dirty plates on a inventoried empty table, we decided we were done, so we got up to leave, as we were getting up the waitress asked us what we were drinking. We looked blankly at her and walked out. It is so sad that this is happening,
Between this year and last year, I have probably been up there everyother month. It's gotten progressively worse. Everyone claiming the machines are tight, you are correct and it seems some of the jackpots are getting lower. I will go back to use up all my freebies and enjoy the fall colors of the trip, but next year, I may just start going back to Biloxi and Gulfport or give the Indian casinos in Alabama a try. We also went to Tunica and Metropolis, Il in this two week period. The Horseshoe Tunica was exceptional. (all 3 Horseshoes we have been to have been great (their buffets are phenomenal), Horseshoe southern Indiana and Hammond are quality casinos. I recommend them, so we had lots to compare our home casino to. I left Cherokee this last time saying I wish they had competition, they are not doing all they can!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed 6 September 2010

This was the worst place I have ever been to! There is nothing to do here except gambling. We went to a concert and that was the only thing decent there to do. You can't go anywhere in the place unless you walk through smoked filled rooms that were horrible. You have to eat dinner and gasp for air while you are eating from the nearby smoke. We tried to find a quiet spot to sit down and have a drink and there was no such place. Unless you love to gamble - don't go here! This place seriously needs some serious renovations to be called a resort. To be called a resort is very misleading!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple