“Awesome!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cherokee / Great Smokies KOA

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cherokee
Cherokee / Great Smokies KOA
Atlanta, Georgia
“Awesome!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2012

We just took our first camping trip with the kids and I don't think we could have picked a better place. We stayed in the 2 bedroom Kamping Kabin which has no kitchen, bathroom or running water inside but has electric and is cable ready. It was exactly what I expected. We wanted the full camping experience...no bath...no kitchen. The cabin was perfect for our family. The staff was friendly and helpful. The bathrooms were for the most part always clean and we never had a lack of hot water. Our first two nights the campground was pretty quiet and the last night it was packed. We did eat at the grill a few times and the food was fast and yummy. We never used the indoor or outdoor pool but they looked nice enough. The scenery is beautiful and there is plenty to do on site. Can't wait to head back during warmer weather and enjoy the river and some tubing. We will definitely be back!!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Graham, NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2012 via mobile

We loved this KOA! It was very clean and quiet. The store had an excellent selection as well as some very well priced souvenirs.

It is definitely a kid friendly campground and we appreciated the fun activities: flashlight candy hunt, tie dye (free if you bring your own shirt) and movies under the stars. As well as the amenities: game room, pools, splash playground, waterslide, mini golf, bike rentals, bounce cushion, and activities program.

The roads are blacktop so kids can (and did) ride scooters & bikes. Moms, please bring light up jewelry of some sort for riding after dark- we had a couple of near misses with kids who were not visible. There are fun bikes you can rent if you bring sneakers.

I loved that there was an air pump near the ice & firewood! The wood was 3 for $11.

There are two laundry rooms. We used one adjacent to the playground. It had a couple of machines for kids to play, a big folding table, change machine and detergent machine. Washes were $1 and dryers were $1 for 45 minutes. It was easy to wash everything while my husband packed up our tents and gear.

My favorite sites for families with independent kids:

T152 tent with no hook ups, under 3 trees, 2 tables, 2 fire pits, visibility to the bouncer, giant chess set, mini golf & bathrooms. Plenty of room for parents' tent and kids pop tent with room to play on the grass. Downside: adjacent to the fenced in dog playground.

115 Standard site with shade near the bathrooms, chess game, bouncer and mini golf.
Downside: very small site with neighbors on 3 sides.

324 standard site adjacent to the playground with visibility to the bathroom.

Ks310 Studio lodge with air conditioning & grill that has visibility to the bathroom & playground.

While there we ate at the Sunflower Cafe and the food was EXCELLENT. I highly recommend them. We did not use it but I was happy to see there is a drop in child care center near the casino for parents who want a date night.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Stacy_AGraham_NC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2012 via mobile

We stayed at this KOA for a weekend in side by side sites with our in-laws.

The campground is a ways out of town so we used Cherokee Cabs as our transportation for the weekend. When planning your trip I recommend calling the campground to ask for directions as we took a wrong turn and it became very difficult to turn around in our rv.

As a dog owner, the small fenced in dog park is a nice asset. I do wish there were more trashcans to use as you're walking your dog and cleaning up after them.

The bathrooms were as expected, but I don't have too high expectations for a Koa as a chain. Clean enough and served their purpose.

We had an issue with a staff member who stayed on site. They talked to my in laws when we returned from an evening out about their dogs barking. That was fine, but he continued to talk to them about it and it became obvious that he was intoxicated. That was very unprofessional.

If we go back to Cherokee, we would stay here again, but would probably look for another RV park.

• Stayed August 2012
Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2012

The #1 thing about this KOA is the staff. I would have rated this campground a 2 if not for the staff. They are wonderful. We had several issues, which I will mention, but each time the staff pulled through for us. Bo, Theresa and the day manger I never got the name of are top knotch and remind me of why I love to vacaction in the south...love the southern hospitality! My family drove for about 20 hours to get there. We arrived late and the campground was PACKED! Being unfamiliar w/ the campground, it was tough to find our site. As we were aimlessly trying to find our spot Bo came up and asked if he could help. I loaded my kids onto the golf cart and away we went. Our Kamping Cabin was dirty at best. We chose to clean it ourselves and not complain...until the ant infestation. We have camped a lot so we know to keep food put away etc....the ants just kept coming, and then the roof leaked! BUT...as I said before, the staff pulled through and upgraded us to a cottage. BUT....the cottage had a VERY strong smell of gas from the fireplace so after moving all of our stuff (there were 6 of us, so LOTs of stuff) they said we could stay in the cabin next door (which meant moving again) but that refridgerator was so loud we didn't even bother...We kept the window open and only slept in the cottage two nights. So, when I mentioned this we got a full refund as the staff again pulled through. If we had to pay after all of that hassel, this review would not be a good one. The pool area was really dirty as were the Kamping Kabin sites we saw. The showers were well kept and the playground was great. The campground is set up nice but be prepared to hear your neighbors conversation, as they really pack 'em in there. No privacy in this campground. But lots of kids, which was great for us, lots to do and the location is great. Close to everything. I would stay here again BECAUSE of the staff. I feel they did everything they could to win my loyalty!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank AMBC77
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2012

This is a very nice place with extremely helpful staff. We were travelling in a 41' Class A Diesel and towing so we needed a large site. We got in after they had closed but Alex waited for us. That was very nice. Originally we were given a space that was a bit too small for our needs. The very next day I inquired about it and they gave us a very large and nice site. I was very happy with this. It is busy, but who can complain about alot of families having a great time. It was very well kept when we were there. The staff really went out of their way to be helpful. The four things that need improvement are: 1) The Wifi system is very poor. Unless you are right at the pool area you might as well forget it. I am told a new system is being discussed. 2) The cable TV system also provides a really poor picture. There was no chance of getting DirecTV from the site we were at. 3) The pool slide is kind of beat up. It needs some maintenance. Finally, there is very, very limited cell service there. I use Verizon so I can't speak for other carriers. While they don't control this, the could purchase and install Verizon's micro cells throughout the site whcih would make for a much better experience.

We intended to stay four nights but when the weather turned consistently bad we opted to leave a day early. Front desk said "No Problem" and said they would refund our last night.

***One thing to beware of: Our GPS did not take us to the correct address. This is evidently a problem for many. We ended up being routed about 15 miles away. Put "Big Cove Road" in for the address and you will do better.***

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank PETER165
Lenoir, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2012

Me and my family have stayed at Koa in Cherokee nc at least a couple times a year for the last 3 years, We used to think it was the best place ever until this trip! The first day of being there our daughter's bike was taken we had no help in finding it.Then the next day we sent our son for ice and one of the employee's talked crap to him for parking in a parking place at the store where you are supposed to park and threaten to kick our whole family out because he ask the employee where else is he to park.then our last night there our whole family and a few other family was playing a game of corn hole and we all finished our game and went to our campsite and was sitiing by our fire and the manger and the same employee that had talked crap to our son earlier came up and start screaming at us because some one that was playing with us in our game of corn hole supposely said volgar things to one of the female employee....we tried to explain to them it wasn't us and the manger keep screaming in my husbands face cussing him,then my son standed up and the employee that had talked crap to him eariler put his hands on my 16 year old son so my husband shoved him down and told him he better not do it again.....the next thing we know the manger and the employee both jump on my husband and stabbed him in the head with a knife in front of our two 13 year old daughters and then the police was called and they told us we could take charge out on them but we had to leave 3 days early with no money returned to us or and apology or anything.Do not recommend this campground to anyone that has a family vacation planned.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
11 Thank cherrikeller
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2012

Just got back from our 4 night stay at Cherokee Koa. We almost went to Jellystone but decided here b/c of the amenities for kids.We were very happy with our cabin. We rented a 2 room cabin with double bunkbeds and separate room for my husband and I. The kids loved it . We were very happy with our choice. I notice they didn't have too many tent sites and I was concerned we'd be surrounded by RV but we weren't. We've always gone tent camping but this was much smoother especially with a 3 yr old. We stayed in #305 which was perfect b/c the bathrooms and playground were close enough for my little ones. Its also a shaded spot. The indoor pool kept the kids active on the rainy days. The weird thing was the water line; it was behind our cabin which you share with your neighbor. No big deal, it seemed like most people were out and about anyways. The bathrooms were clean and the 24 laundry was a big plus since our towels were getting musky. The kids rode their bikes all around and the view of the mountains was beautiful. My husband went fishing one morning but that was a wash.. I guess the experience was more for my son. The outside pool stays real cold since the temp drops into the 60's at night. The big water slide was a plus and it seems like the kids didn't even notice the cold water. Indoor pool was a little warmer. We went thru the Blue Ridge Pkway one day, then did the tour of the Cherokee Village and Dollywood the next. There's lots of little things to see once you get back to town (about 10 min drive down the mountain- not bad). There's a Food Lion supermarket and Dollar General not far so its perfect is you ever need something. My husband and I are hooked on the cabin camping now :). You can keeps the kids busy inside without worrying about if you're kids are being too loud at night.

Room Tip: Site #305 has good shade and you don't have to park your car infront of the cabin entry like the...