“2 Story Bates Motel”

Ranked #13 of 28 Hotels in Cherokee
Cherokee, North Carolina
“2 Story Bates Motel”
Reviewed 14 March 2014

Clean but thought I was in the 50's. Didn't know they made sheets that thin anymore. Mattress like rock. Tube TV, haven't seen one in a long time. I was comp'd the room because Harrah's was full, I will strongly recommend they remove them from their list.

Room Tip: 2nd floor but no elevator
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank TXRich99

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Lawrenceville
Reviewed 4 March 2014

This was our second stay at this hotel and the first time was fine. The room was clean but we noticed the toilet wasn't working. I called the desk and asked if someone would come look at it. That was around 5:30pm. We returned to the room at midnight and no one had even been to the room and the toilet still wasn't working. At the very least, we deserved a phone call and a choice to change rooms. I will definitely be more hesitant the next time.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Michele B
Cumming, Georgia
Reviewed 16 February 2014

This is an older property that was formerly a Best Western. The room was very clean, including the bathroom. Facility appears to have been updated with new carpeting and furnishings. I am recovering from knee surgery and the hotel staff was very accommodating to find my husband and I a ground floor, King, Non-smoking. They warned us that this was a pet friendly room and that dogs had been allowed. When we entered the room there was no smell or evidence that any animals had been inside - so obviously the staff is very conscientious about cleaning their rooms.

There were a few improvements that I would suggest. Add free continental breakfast; change to a better quality soap, provide more tv channels and put extra blankets in the room.

Room Tip: Book online and then call the hotel directly to make specific room request to be near front of compl...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Karen B
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

I should have taken heed to the reviews previous to my free stay. As the saying goes everything that is free ain't always good. First of all I was placed in the wayyyy back of the hotel. I was scared as I don't know what. It was dark when I got there so I was a little weary. Anyway I walked in my room and I thought they forgot to vacuum because tissue paper from I guess another guest was all over the floor. The bed was comfortable but the comforters were as thin as the sheets so bring your own if you want to feel warm. I slept bundled up in my PJs all both nights. The bathroom was not clean it looked like someone just wiped everything down and that's it. I slept with the chair and table behind the door. Lol just wasn't feeling it. I tell you what Econo Lodge may not be a 5 star hotel but the next time I go back I'll be staying there again. I would have never found any of the things I found here.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank Denetra S

Travellers are raving about these Cherokee hotels

Dawsonville, Georgia
Reviewed 4 February 2014

We were comped a room here one night by the casino along with a night at the motel across the street but that's another review. I was very worried after reading the reviews on here and wasn't sure what I was going to find. Upon checkin, I was given a list of items in the room and their price. I was expecting this after reading some of the reviews here. Once we got to our room, I realized some of the items on the list were not in our room. I called the front desk and she said not to worry about it and nothing was charged to us. This motel has very thin linens and no breakfast or really any amenities. If I had not been comped a night here, I never would have stayed here. This just is not the kind of place that we prefer and we aren't snobs by any means. Next time, we will go on to the Comfort Inn.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank tweis
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 16 January 2014

I was comped this room by the casino. Reading the reviews I was skeptical of staying here. It's an older motel with dated furnishings and very little amenities. Nonetheless my room was very clean. I have stayed at a number of hotels to include 4 and 5 stars and this has to be in the top five for cleanliness. No dust, awful smells, hairs, or bugs in my room. No mold in bathroom grout or dirty toilets. No rips, holes, or stains on the furnishings. I mean I was truly amazed at how clean it was. I would stay again if I had to.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Ms_Zee48
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Maybe the worst place in the world to spend the night. After visiting 28 countries in my life and 1000 of hotel stays in the USA, this place is the all time worst, dirtiest, bug filled with a staff that was lazy and unresponsive. The floors were filthy, showers molding, towels that were stained and after complaining to the manager Nina, she obviously did not show any concern and acted as if it was normal to hear these complaints. Would not want my dog to stay in those rooms and my dog is an outside dog. Terrible. To top it off the water in the lobby coffee pot was dirty also with bugs crawling over the cart. Just the worst place in the world to stay in... just awful.

Room Tip: Dont choose any room at this location
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank KEN P
Great Smokies I, Front Office Manager at Great Smokies Inn, responded to this review, 26 January 2014
We here at Great Smokies Inn do our best to address guest complaints in a timely manner.Unfortunately, with this particular issue, we were not made aware of these problems until it was posted here.In the future please address any issues with management on property so that they can be resolved upon departure.Thank you