“Comfortable and inexpensive”
Review of Great Smokies Inn

Great Smokies Inn
Ranked #8 of 28 Hotels in Cherokee
Reviewed 20 August 2014

At the end of our last day on the Blue Ridge Parkway, we stopped across the street for fuel. A quick Google search (even though I could see the hotel from the gas station) for reviews verified that this hotel was within our budget and met our standards for cleanliness. Special walk-in rate was in effect, so this ended up being the cheapest hotel we stayed in the entire trip, but it was far from a 'cheap' hotel. No breakfast, but that has never been a requirement for us. The room was clean, comfortable, and had a fridge, microwave, and coffee pot.

The young lady on duty when we checked in was very friendly; the next morning, however, I could have done without the multiple calls to make sure we were checking out - one would have been sufficient. It was pouring rain, and we were on motorcycles.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Micki M
There are newer reviews for Great Smokies Inn

Reviewed 4 August 2014

While googling things to do in Cherokee, North Carolina, I came upon this hotel and thought it looked very quaint and just the perfect 2-night stay place for my daughter and me. After reading the reviews, I was even more sure. I did enjoy the quaint cabin-like atmosphere. The room was clean and big enough for the 2 of us. The first night was perfect! Nice and quiet and the view of the Smokies from our room was beautiful. The second night (after we had been on a 2 and 1/2 horse ride through the mountains) was not so perfect. We were exhausted and ready for a good night's sleep to prepare for the 5 hour trip back to South Carolina. After noticing the people staying in the room next to ours and their friends who were staying one door down, I pretty much figured it was NOT gonna be a quiet night. They were partiers and came mainly for the drinking and casino action. While I am also a drinker, I do not gamble and I certainly to not come stumbling back to my room at 3:30 screaming at my roommate because they couldn't find their room key or it wasn't working. I immediately called the front desk and reported the activity and asked them to handle it. My request was basically ignored and the couple continued their ranting. I made a second call which was dismissed even more rudely. Finally, one of the 2 got their head straight enough to find their room key, get in and pass out. Leaving me to lay in bed until about 6a.m. which was when I finally fell back to sleep. So my rating is this .... rooms great, mountain view spectacular, hotel staff, HORRIBLE!!!!!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank LauraN673
Reviewed 3 August 2014

This place was great. The beds were comfortable, the room was clean, and the staff was extremely helpful. We had a ground floor, no pet room. I know there wasn't an elevator, but since we were on the ground floor, it wasn't an issue for us. I loved that we could walk to breakfast at Hardee's across the street, the arcade down the block, a pizza place behind the hotel, and shops behind as well. The desk staff was very friendly and helpful, and the business center was perfect!

Room Tip: The bottom floor near the office was great, but didn't have any microwaves.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cmwilso3
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I rec'd this hotel from Hotwire but was clean, staff was nice, felt safe. Older hotel, but clean, close to Smky Mtn park entrance. Would not spend a week there, but would do an overnight or quick weekend.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

reserving a room you get whatever they want you have. no elevators Ice machine doesn't
work Halftime. Pet rooms are on the ground floor. So you can't use the stairs you'll sleep in a room
A dogs been
sleeping in. The place had a smell you just know how clean it was. Won't stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Hotel is a bit old but clean. Wifi worked great. On the 'backside' of the river but still close in to everything. During the off-season the shops around it close and I imagine it can be very lonely. AC was cold and room was clean. Could have used a blanket. Parking lot could use more light.
Would stay again but prefer the Rivers Edge.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

We got there on a monday without reservation. We had a room within 10min. Although it looks older from the outside it is well kept up. The location is good because it provides peace and quiet.The rooms were spacious, clean and taken care off. Parking is good.
The service was good. Internet access is reliable and fast. And for this price it is unbeatable.
When we come back to Cherokee, we will come back to this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014