“weekend at Cherokee”
Review of El Camino Motel

El Camino Motel
Ranked #24 of 28 Hotels in Cherokee
Reviewed 15 September 2013

This motel is a great place to stay at. The rooms were very clean. The staff is very kind and helpful. We arrived before the check in time but decided to go on and rent the room for two nights. The desk clerk had to leave the office for little while so no one was in the office and the door was locked.. One of employees who clean rooms came over to us to see if we needed help. He explained we wanted to a room. She actually opened a door with her door key and let us in and told the desk clerk would be back soon and just go up the office and pay her when she returned. I thought that was awesome. The motel had benches outside each door which was nice. The pool was very clean. will definitely stay here join my next trip to Cherokee.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for El Camino Motel

Reviewed 1 September 2013

I enjoyed my stay at the El Camino Motel with my dad and cousin this past week (8-27-13--8-29-13). They had great rates, clean rooms, a clean pool, friendly service, and we could walk to the cassino,and Wendy's. We were also centered where we could get to all fun tourist places quickly and easily. I know where I'll stay the next visit to Cherokee.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 July 2013

loved staying here I could walk to the Harris Casino from the Hotel it is that close and the staff was excellent as well. I enjoyed the pool and the benches outside to read on and enjoy my stay. They make sure everything is awesome with your stay. So pretty here and clean not too expensive either.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cathe M
Reviewed 15 July 2013

I travel a lot and generally make reservations in advance at chain hotels; however, being Cherokee isn't that far from home I decided last minute to stay overnight. They didn't have a walk in rate, but the owner gave me the best rate compared to other chain hotels in the area and on the marquee a sign 'winners stay here' thought I couldn't go wrong. It is an older style motel, but very well maintained, and exceptionally clean. King bed was very comfortable, down the road from the casino one can easily walk. The pool area is very nice, open till 10 well maintained/clean with a small kiddy pool on the side, and a gazebo type sitting area with greenery and some flowers plus the typical pool chairs, all securely fenced in. No breakfast but with a Wendy's across the street, a reasonably priced pancake house or restaurant specializing in buffets not far down the road reasonably priced dining is not a problem. A friendly little dog in the registration area, a smiling clerk to speed through the registration process along with the owner greeting makes one feel at home and appreciated for staying there or a feeling of good old fashioned southern hospitality at it's best. Definitely would come back and/or recommend to friends and business colleagues.

Room Tip: All one level, all good, no particular advantage for location I could recommend for this motel.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 May 2013

The accommodations were OK for a two-night stay. My friend and I were in town for a concert at Harrah's. I'm from Los Angeles and she's from Vancouver, BC. The reviews online were good so we booked.. When we arrived we were greeted by a pleasant mid-aged man with his friendly dog sitting in the registration area. As the paperwork was processed the door that connected to his lovely residence was opened and I saw this beautiful, apparently newly remodeled home and part of a lovely living room and staircase.......breath-taking. Then we get to our rooms........SAD looking and VERY outdated. Looked clean but it's hard to tell with the flowered bedspread and dark rug. No odor, which is very important to me and the bathroom was very clean...another big plus!! We did have a problem trying to keep my door locked, this happened Each time i left the room. each time I was told that the lock's batter was low, they are not in the office 24/7 but there is a number you can call in case of an emergency. BUT, this is where it's kind scary (to me anyway) we checked out at about 6am and the plan was that the first to wake up would call the other.........I woke up and picked up the room's phone to call my friend and it was completely dead. I checked to make sure that everything was connected and it was. I went out to about 30 degree weather and woke my friend up. As I was getting ready all I could think of were the worst scenarios going through my head......a bunch of WHAT IFs. scenes where I would've needed that phone. Anyway, alls well that ends well. I did mean to call the proprietors but I got back December 17. Our stay was December 14 and 15, I think. So trying to get ready for the holidays had me put this on the back burner.

I travel a lot and use the reviews to make my hotel reservations and for the first time, just got back from visiting TN, MS and LA, I wrote about eight reviews because now I know how important they are and helping with others making that final decision.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank Hilda L
Reviewed 4 March 2013

We had to go to Cherokee on business, and had not made reservations. We were stopping off at the Casino, and wanted a hotel near by. The El Camino is beside the casino. We had our little dog with us. The woman at the front desk was very pleasant and allowed us to have our little dog in our room. I have to stay in a non-smoking room, and they had that available. The room was clean, a little dated, but clean. The bed was hard, but that is to be expected for the price. We would stay at this hotel again. It is worth the price, and staff is very pleasant!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 July 2012

This is a nice small motel that is close to almost everything you want to do while visiting Cherokee NC. We had a room with 2 queen beds that was very spacious and clean. The beds were a little on the hard side along with the pillows but other than that it was not to bad. I did not like that you have to pay a quarter to get ice though, with the price you pay i would think that ice would be included in that.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family