“Nice cheap place to stay”
Review of Newfound Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cherokee
Newfound Lodge
Ranked #18 of 28 Hotels in Cherokee
Reviewed 10 April 2008

The Good:

It's cheap. It's on the river. It's easy to get to and close to the park. The beds were fine. Everything worked. Room was quite big.

The Bad:

The tub drained really slow. Stairs can be a good distance from your room. No wireless internet. No shampoo for the room.

The Ugly: The furniture is old and the carpet isn't the most attractive, but these are minor issues.

Honestly, I was quite pleased with this place. I wanted a cheap, nice place to stay and the Newfound Motel delivered.

• Stayed: April 2008

Reviewed 17 September 2007

Our first night in Cherokee was spent in another Motel along the river (a different river) and it was horrible. I had heard about Newfound Lodge from a friend and so I went there and booked a room. The service was great, the rooms were cleaned daily (unlike the other place) there was no bad smells(unlike the other place!) and the bed slept well. The carpet was a little outdated, and the bathroom a bit small, but the room was large, airy, and very comfortable. I would go back again in a heart beat.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank paintsthewind
Reviewed 25 August 2007

We stayed there for 3 nights recently and paid $68 for Wed & Thurs and $88 or $89 for Friday. We are a family of 4 with 2 teens. We requested (and received) a non-smoking room on the lower level with no problems. This is an older property, to be sure, and the furnishings and carpeting reflect that. However, the room was very clean and we had no issues with the housekeeping at all. We had no problem with the front desk staff either. Basically, our stay was pleasant, we enjoyed the view of the river, we felt safe and we didn't hear our neighbors (even on Friday night when there were no vacancies). As to the smell issue - there is a slight musty smell that we couldn't help but notice when we arrived, but after we turned the AC on and left and then came back, we didn't notice it again. We would stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family
3  Thank kathysway
Reviewed 12 August 2007

My Husband and I just returned from riding our Harleys 1,400 miles including the entire Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive. We decided to start at the end of the Parkway in Cherokee since we live in the Charlotte, NC area. We spent our first night at the Newfound Lodge. The rooms were large, clean and comfortable. I admit that the carpet is shag and the furnishings are outdated, but the room was big and comfortable. It even had a couch! I liked the balcony overlooking the river. It also has steps down to the river if you want to wade or fish. The room also had a fridge and a microwave, which is always nice to have. The only complaint that I have is the price was higher than I was quoted on the phone. The clerk said it was because it was a weekend, but they should have known that when I reserved. You can walk to a restaurant across the street. There are shops, a McDonalds, a Dairy Queen, and a Big Boy within walking distance. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gammaqueen
Reviewed 7 April 2007

This hotel hasn't been updated in decades. Shag carpet and a hodge podge of furniture are just for starters. The unusual moldy smell is not just the furnishings -- it's the AC unit. Sure, it has a nice view of the river from your private balcony, but so do most other hotels in this town. At least the staff was friendly and tried to refund my charges. (Oddly, they charged me in full when I checked in,
and had to re-credit my card an hour later when I asked to leave.)

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank GATraveller5
Reviewed 25 March 2007

My mother and I have been coming to Cherokee every year for
the last ten years and will keep on returning until we are no
longer able to do so. We always stay at the Newfound Lodge
and have always had a pleasant stay and were always treated
very good.
c.kerney Indiana

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank stressedinindiana
Reviewed 30 January 2007

My family stay here at least once a year. I took my best friend and she fell in love with it. She loved the balcony over the river. We had a blast. Jane from Iva, S.C.

2  Thank JaniePoo