“Lake Lure - our home away from home”
Review of The Esmeralda Inn

The Esmeralda Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Chimney Rock
Rock Hill, South Carolina
“Lake Lure - our home away from home”
Reviewed 2 March 2012

My husband and I stayed 3 nites at the Esmeralda and hated to leave. There was hot coffee,
pastries, cereal, juice and more for breakfast and that was no charge. The bedding was heavenly. My husband usualy is up by 5 but we both slept till after 8 each morning we were there. Looking forward to coming back and enjoying the spa. This was our 1st time staying at the Esmeralda and we look forward to a visit back. Lake Lure is a beautiful area - if you have
never been give it a try one weekend. You will be back. As a side note there is a new restaurant called Medina's in Lake Lure and we had an excellent meal there. I am assuming
the owner is a chef as there were fresh hot cinnamon buns that we took with us and they were soooo good. Thanks to the folks at the Esmeralda Inn for making our stay unforgettable. Lisa and Ron

1 Thank meme6060
EsmeraldaInn, General Manager at The Esmeralda Inn, responded to this review, 4 March 2012
Thank you so much for the great review! We get many compliments on the great beds! It sounds like you were well rested while you were with us. Next time, I hope you'll be here when The Restaurant is open. The food is wonderful! We serve the continental breakfast on the mornings when The Restaurant is closed, and I'm glad you enjoyed it. Everything is made from scratch (except the cereal!). The owners of Medina's are good people and do a great job with their business. Every area needs more than one great place to eat!

Lake Lure is a beautiful area. It's almost spring and things are beginning to bloom. Come back and visit soon. Spring, summer, fall, all wonderful!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
Reviewed 25 February 2012

We stayed here for our honeymoon and the inn is wonderful. The staff is excellent and the proprietors are fantastic and very friendly. The Esmerelda has ensured that we will be returning to Chimney Rock as well as recommending it to everyone we know. Thanks for such a pleasant stay, we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves!

1 Thank Julie F
EsmeraldaInn, General Manager at The Esmeralda Inn, responded to this review, 29 February 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Our goal is to make every guest's stay a memorable one and as special as we can make it. We hope you'll make us your spot for anniversaries for many years to come!
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed 15 February 2012

They are a great place to stay if you have a lot of money. However they have NO help after hours in case of emergencys such as the power going out, etc. They charge your account twice within a week of your stay then a week later one charge will drop off. They call it "pre autherization" on the first charge...and there is nothing they can do about getting it back in your account. (so make sure you have plenty of money in your account for that surprise because they wont tell you about it up front) YOu dont get much for the money either. They over charge for their flowers and strawberries and their food in house. I have been there twice now and both were special because my husband planned the trip. HOwever, I wont be back due to the account being charged thing.

Room Tip: ask for their best room or you will be put in a shoe box of a room where you can hardly move.
3 Thank sb477
EsmeraldaInn, Owner at The Esmeralda Inn, responded to this review, 16 February 2012
Thank you for taking the time out to write us a review! We are always happy to hear from guests with good and not so good comments. From the not so good comments our staff tries to reflects on ways we might have handled something a little differently.

The stay that you refer to in this review was over the Valentines weekend. During this time we offered rooms ranging from $119.00-$179.00. Your choice was our most expensive room. During the booking you also requested one dozen roses and chocolate covered strawberries. Rose during Holidays tends to climb in price. We do feel though a dozen roses in a glass vase on a holiday weekend are well worth the $50.00 charged.

The Esmeralda like many small Inn’s closes its office in the evening. There is always a person on the property if they are needed. This person can be reached in case of a special need or emergency by simply calling the number that is supplied to each guest at the front desk.
To our disappointment the reason you state that you will not be back to the Esmeralda is unfortunately not in our control. When a debit card is used to book a room some banks pre-approve the amount. Because the card is like cash, the bank does this to assure that money will be in the account when the reservation date comes. This is a credit hold that is later released at the banks discretion. You were correct when you said there was nothing we could do to get it back on your account. This is the banks rules not ours.

We are sorry that your stay wasn’t what you felt to be a good value. We hope that in the future you will give us a try again. Repeat guests are the only way a small business can survive. We value your comments as will do everything we can to make sure other guests don’t have similar stays
Itasca, Illinois
Reviewed 12 February 2012

My wife and I visited here for a quick 2-day weekend get-away.

Let me tell you it was both fantastic and relaxing.

I won't say I was too worried but all the favorable reviews of the Esmerelda had me a little leary...how could everyone who visits have such a great time?

Couple things, the staff is amazing, the restaurant is fabulous, the beds are to die for and the general ambiance is perfect.

They have a great game room with billiards, air hockey and puzzles. (See picture)

We had a fantastic lunch at the onsite restaurant and then asked the owners where we should have dinner. They told us we should have dinner at their place and then their second choice would be a restaurant down the road, Larkin's on the Lake. Well, we made the wrong choice and went to Larkin's on the Lake. Don't waste your time/money. Just eat and enjoy the fabulous food at the Esmerelda. I think they must have some type of professional chef on staff or something.

Anyways, we highly recommend this place as your and your loved ones will have a perfect experience!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JetNJoy
EsmeraldaInn, General Manager at The Esmeralda Inn, responded to this review, 14 February 2012
Thank you for your thoughtful review! I'm glad you had a great experience with us. It's our goal to make every guests stay a memorable one.

We recently hired Chef Michael and he's doing a fabulous job for us. He was trained at the Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park, NY. He has experience and a dedication to fresh, made from scratch cooking. He is a great addition to our wonderful staff. We are so glad you enjoyed dining with us.

I hope you'll be staying with us again soon.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 11 January 2012

I feel so bad it has taken me so long to write this review. I do the travel and business planning for an office in Charlotte our company is worldwide. In early spring I saw the Esmeralda on-line and thought it might be a great place to host a business group leader retreat. After a few discussions with Doug from the Esmeralda, my husband and I decided to take a weekend and check out the Esmeralda before I booked my companies business retreat.

What an amazing place the Esmeralda. Our usual business retreat takes us to more of larger hotels or banquet facilities. After our stay at the Esmeralda we couldn’t believe how the Inn balances romantic weekends and vacationers with business groups. One rule was clear when vacationers are vacationing the Esmeralda doesn’t mix business. The same goes for business groups not being mixed with general guest stays. We found if you date is available you are assured the Esmeralda staff is there for you. The Inn’s decorating and service is geared to a refined guest who wants to sill have fun and relax.

My husband and I and our trip to the Esmeralda was nothing short of perfect. Every detail was met. The food in the restaurant was fantastic. While we were here we soaked in their new outdoor 20 person Jacuzzi and even roasted marsh mellows in a fire place on the patio. I had time to make all my plans for the business trip and when we left I knew the Esmeralda was going to set a new standard for a different type of business retreat.

Retreat days arrived and we were greeted by a staff person named Sharron. She is the Inn manager. She had everyone checked in before we arrived. From the moment we checked in through the fours day we were all here, the Esmeralda provided every item we needed for a productive week of work and pleasure. The breaks were added fun with the game room and many other spaces. Our off site team building we perfect for an afternoon of learning and team building. The food was adapted to meet our time, serving style and diet needs. A real home-run for our demanding group. We are already working on a return trip. Thank you to the owners of the Esmeralda and all the great staff.

I would like to make on side note about rooms. This is in defense of the Esmeralda and not other reviewers. When we were looking for our business retreat spot we saw some reviews cautioning future guest about rooms being small. Some of the rooms are small but looking beyond the room size we do extensive travel. Our criteria are Clean, Comfortable, Well Appointed, Wireless, Updated and Private Baths. The Esmeralda is all this times 10. The Inn itself has so many different areas to enjoy if you need size. The rooms were just perfect. We survey all attendees after a retreat and it was unanimous the Esmeralda had a perfect combination of elegant amenities and functional space to fit our needs.

Thanks Again,
Barbara
Charlotte IT

Room Tip: Book aarly if you are planning a larger event. The Esmeralda restricts dates for their leisure guest...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Barbara B
EsmeraldaInn, General Manager at The Esmeralda Inn, responded to this review, 24 January 2012
Barbara, thank you so much for taking the time to write this wonderful review! It was such a pleasure to have you and your husband, then your group with us. We like to think the Inn can be many different things, depending on our guests' needs. It's gratifying to hear we succeeded with your retreat. We have a great staff who take pride in making The Esmeralda a special place.

Some of our rooms are not large, but as you said, there are other great areas to enjoy. The game room and outdoor patio area are favorite spots. The Jacuzzi and outdoor fireplace were new this season. I'm glad you enjoyed them!

We so appreciate your thoughtful comments. We look forward to seeing you and your group again in the near future.
St. Augustine, Florida
Reviewed 5 January 2012

Staying at The Esmeralda Inn right now. Beautiful. Hubby and I just had dinner and all I can say is, it was absolutely delicious! Our waiter was FANTASTIC. The Esmeralda is definitely a beautiful little gem nestled in the mountain.

More review to follow but wanted to give a quick little update to all of you considering heading out this way. :)

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BarbaraS450
Thank you for taking the time out of your vacation to write us a review! I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We think of the Inn as home and love it when our guests have a great time.
We look forward to your next visit!
Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed 27 December 2011

This Christmas week-end was our first stay at the Esmeralda. Our expectations were exceeded. Everything about the property was top-notch. Beautiful facility and location. Everyone went out of their way to make the stay comfortable and relaxing. We are generally not pleased with most "hotel" restaurants as they are often there for "convenience" rather than their culinary abilities. Not so at the Esmeralda. Had dinner, breakfast and Christmas buffet there and everything was absolutely delicious. We highly recommend the Esmeralda and will be back ourselves sometime next year.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank GreensboroCouple
EsmeraldaInn, General Manager at The Esmeralda Inn, responded to this review, 6 January 2012
Thank you for the great review! We like to think we have the best Restaurant in the Gorge. I'm glad you enjoyed all your meals with us.

It is our goal to make every guest's stay a memorable one. I hope you will come back often and make lots of happy memories here!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chimney Rock
Rumbling Bald Resort on Lake Lure
The Omni Grove Park Inn
The Omni Grove Park Inn
#12 of 66 in Asheville

Been to The Esmeralda Inn? Share your experiences!