“We had a warm and wonderful time!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Esmeralda Inn

The Esmeralda Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Chimney Rock
Norfolk, Virginia, United States
“We had a warm and wonderful time!”
Reviewed 26 March 2012

My husband and I spent 4 wonderful nights at the Esmeralda Inn in March for his birthday. We booked the room as well as a horseback riding adventure through the website which was confirmed via email. We love this property and have visited for dinner once before and decided we would stay there the next time we visit. The room was wonderful and clean and the size was just right (we took the king bed option).
We loved the wine and cheese hour on the porch as well as the Sunday brunch and morning coffee. The restaurant is closed Sunday evening through Tuesday so we ventured into Hendersonville and Asheville and discovered some other wonderful places as well.
The second floor has a beautiful game room and kitchen. The third floor has a small bar fridge and cabinets as well as wi-fi. Everyone was very helpful with directions and suggestions of fun things to do and they even set up a fire in the outdoor fireplace for us when we arrived back from dinner.
We loved our stay and hope they have a beautiful and grand season ahead!

2 Thank Lala E
EsmeraldaInn, General Manager at The Esmeralda Inn, responded to this review, 28 March 2012
Thank you for your review and the well wishes! It was a pleasure having you with us. Our goal is to make every guest's stay a memorable one. I'm glad you enjoyed all the amenities the Inn has to offer! Soon the Jacuzzi will be open, so you'll have to come back and enjoy that as well.

There are so many fun things to do here. We couldn't be in a better location. So many of our guests go horseback riding and zip lining. Of course Chimney Rock Park is a great place to hike and enjoy the fabulous views.

This season is looking good for all of us in the Gorge. Thank you again for your review.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
Reviewed 26 March 2012

Just stayed there for my niece's wedding weekend. The inn was charming, but what made our stay so nice was the staff. They bent over backwards to make sure we were comfortable and happy...and they were extremely professional. We would go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed March 2012
2 Thank JLHoneycutt
Thank you for taking time to write a review! We have a great staff! Everyone here thinks of The Esmeralda as home and takes pride in giving our guests the best possible experience. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay.

Please come back soon!
Saint George, SC
Reviewed 25 March 2012

My husband and I came to the Esmeralda Inn for our 2nd wedding anniversary and were very pleased with how unique the property was. It was the end of February so we wish we were able to utilize the outside jacuzzi area, but will plan accordingly the next visit. We would definitely visit again with our child and enjoy Chimney Rock in the warmer season. The restaraunt food was DELICIOUS and overall a very family friendly atmosphere!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sjbrooksusc
Thank you for your thoughtful review. I'm glad we were part of your anniversary celebration! We are so pleased with Chef Michael. He's been with us a couple of months now and everyone is enjoying the great food!

The Jacuzzi should be opening around April 15th. Please come back and enjoy!
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 15 March 2012

The Esmeralda Inn was absolutely wonderful!! My husband and I had a great time. The rooms are very nice & clean. The room we stayed in was pretty tiny but it did not bother us at all. The views were amazing from the room also. We took full advantage of the game room and had tons of fun playing pool, air hockey and foosball. The staff were all friendly and the restaurant was AMAZING. Food was outstanding. We can't wait to go back again soon!!

Room Tip: The mountain view room was great!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank babblinbrunett
EsmeraldaInn, General Manager at The Esmeralda Inn, responded to this review, 16 March 2012
Thank you for taking time to write a review! We are in a great location. The views of the river and Chimney Rock are hard to beat. Some of our rooms are not large, but I think of them as little jewels! I'm glad you enjoyed the great public areas like the Lounge. When it gets a little warmer, the Jacuzzi will be open too. We are already serving lunch on the Deck! Spring has already arrived at The Esmeralda. There are more trees and flowers in bloom every day.

We are very fortunate to have Chef Michael. He's been with us a few weeks now and we are VERY pleased with the quality of the food he's preparing. Thank you for your comments!

We hope you'll stay with us agin soon.
Aynor, South Carolina
Reviewed 13 March 2012

My wife and I spend a remantic week end at The Esmeralda. We were excited because we had read all the great reviews prior to our visit and we were not disappointed. The property is just as buautiful as all the pictures on their web sight. The property was clean as a pin with great ammenities. The staff were very nice and at our beck and call. The Chef at the resturant was great. The shrimp and Grits were to die for. I would recommend this spot to all my friends, family, and co-workers. We booked our next year valentines getaway the same day we checked in.

Room Tip: Room #8 was just the right size for two. I understand that some of the rooms are smaller but #8 was...
1 Thank da3558
EsmeraldaInn, General Manager at The Esmeralda Inn, responded to this review, 23 March 2012
Thank you for the great review! Sometimes what you see is not what you get when looking at a website, but we work very hard to represent our beautiful Inn accurately. I'm glad you were not disappointed!

Soon the 18-person Jacuzzi will be open, adding another great amenity to the lineup. It first opened last year and was very popular.

Chef Michael has only been with us a short time, but we are very happy with the changes he's made. Our great food keeps getting better!

Some of our rooms are not large, but with the great public areas, like the Front Porch, Lounge/Game Room, and the Stone Patio, no one seems to mind!

We're looking forward to your return trip!
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 11 March 2012

I came with my boyfriend to Asheville for a quick mini-vacation. Once we got to the mountains, we didn't exactly have high expectations as far as our hotel. Boy were we blown away by the Esmeralda Inn. The view from the hotel was lovely. The staff were attentive. The hotel itself was beautiful, clean, and welcoming. The rooms are, as many have said, quite cozy. This didn't bother us at all. I mean, what exactly are the rooms for, other than to use the bed... Although, I will say, both my boyfriend and I kept knocking our shins against the wooden bed frame (and we have the bruises to show for it!) as we'd walk by. The rooms themselves are beautifully decorated, and clean. My only regret is that we didn't stay longer!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
EsmeraldaInn, General Manager at The Esmeralda Inn, responded to this review, 13 March 2012
Thank you for your great review! Sometimes you find treasures where you least expect. I'm glad you found us! We do have a perfect location, close to the river, Lake Lure and the views of Chimney Rock are hard to beat. And only a short trip to Asheville!

Some of our rooms are not large, but as you pointed out, how much time do you really spend in the room. We have so many wonderful public areas to enjoy. The front porches, the Lounge on the second floor and the Lobby are always open to our guests. The Stone Patio, with its fireplace, is open and soon, the Jacuzzi will be as well. Spring has arrived at The Esmeralda!

We hope you'll return soon and definitely, stay longer!
Irmo, South Carolina
Reviewed 7 March 2012

The room looked like a mouse hole, tiny. Wasn't much better than a boy scout cabin. When I complained the owner treated me like dirt and called me a liar. Worst service I ever had!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
8 Thank Patrick C
EsmeraldaInn, General Manager at The Esmeralda Inn, responded to this review, 9 March 2012
Usually there is something to be gained and learned from every review,
even the ones that are not as positive as we'd like. But there is
nothing here. Please look at the majority of our reviews and decide for
yourselves. We appreciate all the guests who take the time to post
reviews and we appreciate honest and constructive criticism. Thank you
to all our guests who use this medium for that purpose.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chimney Rock
The Omni Grove Park Inn
The Omni Grove Park Inn
#12 of 63 in Asheville
Rumbling Bald Resort on Lake Lure

Been to The Esmeralda Inn? Share your experiences!