“Quiet Luxury”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Chimney Rock
Chapin, South Carolina
“Quiet Luxury”
Reviewed 12 December 2013 via mobile

Enjoyed our second stay at The Esmerelda! Great service and suggestions from staff on day trips. Loved the chili cook off at the local fire department. Gorgeous rooms, food is great an the game room is awesome. Will come back next year to enjoy the front porch, fireplace and brunch.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
SharronFieber, General Manager at The Esmeralda Inn, responded to this review, 14 December 2013
Thank you so much for the review! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay again. You picked a fun weekend to visit. The Holidays in a small town are very entertaining!
We really enjoy our guests and want you to have fun while you're here.
The Front Porch will be waiting!
See you soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Huron, OH, USA
Reviewed 29 November 2013

The best part of this hotel was location. It was nice & very pretty & super clean. Can't say the staff was overly friendly, I thought for a small operation, they would be talkative or extra outgoing, but that wasn't the case. They had a nice area for playing games. We did get a free continental breakfast, don't stay here for that though. We had a 2 queen beds & plenty of room space for 4, but the bathroom was very small. I would stay again if returning to the park. It let us get to the park very early, so it was not crowded. The trip in could easily make a person car sick.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
SharronFieber, General Manager at The Esmeralda Inn, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Thank you for your review. I'm always surprised when someone says the staff is not friendly! Our goal is always to make our guests feel at home and welcome. An overwhelming number of reviews would attest to that. But friendliness is different things to different people and I apologize if you felt in any way slighted. I assure you it was not our intention.

It would be hard to beat our location. We are very close to Chimney Rock Village and the Park. Lake Lure is about 3 miles away, and you can go horseback riding, zip lining and play a round of golf, all within a 20-30 minute drive! Asheville is only about 25 miles, and you're right, it is a very winding road! Candied ginger helps.

We hope to see you next time.
Huntersville, North Carolina
Reviewed 25 November 2013

My wife and I were married in 2011 and I booked our honeymoon at the Esmeralda. Simply put, the Esmeralda delivers a magical atmosphere! The food was amazing. The game room is nice if you want a break from your room, or just want to explore the beauty of the Inn. Being an Inn the Esmeralda offers a very personal experience. We made a second visit for our first anniversary and we had the same awesome experience. We encourage anyone to give the Inn a shot, see for yourself and pay no mind to the belittling reviews you see on here. It is a magical and lovely place! Our 2nd year anniversary is coming up and we already have our reservation...

Room Tip: We always enjoy the king size bed! Ask what the Inn is offering complimentary during your stay, yo...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for the lovely review! We love it when guests return again and again, especially when it's for such a special occasion. The Inn is a beautiful place to come and relax, enjoy the views and you're right, the food is great! We want our guests to feel at home with us.
I'm glad you enjoyed the Inn's many amenities. Everyone loves the Game Room!

We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Second time staying there. Lovely inn in a beautiful setting. Every involved owners and staff does everything they can to make your stay great. Visit the flowering bridge while you're there. The food in the dining room cannot be beat and they even adjusted the food to my husband's tastes. We will be back.

1 Thank Barbara W
SharronFieber, General Manager at The Esmeralda Inn, responded to this review, 23 November 2013
Thank you for your review! We love it when guests return again and again to enjoy the Inn and this beautiful area! The Lake Lure Flowering Bridge is becoming a wonderful attraction for the area. The many volunteers have done an amazing job, creating something so special in so short a time!
We all think of the Inn as home, and we want our guests to fee the same way. It is our pleasure to make your stay great!
Come again soon!
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed 9 November 2013

We stopped by the inn to have drinks and check out the restaurant, perhaps have dinner and see what we might have missed by staying in another inn up the road....Well, were we very pleased that we had made the decision to stay somewhere else. We walked in to a very interesting lobby area but there was no fire in the fireplace and no one at the front desk. We milled around for a few moments hoping that someone would come out to greet us. No one did. We heard someone talking in what looked to be a restaurant off to the side so we peeked in to a medium sized room with only a few couples dining....AWKWARD!!!! I suppose it was the chef or sommelier speaking to the guests so we eased back into the lobby area still waiting for someone to show us to the bar/lounge....maybe somewhere to have a drink and consider dining with them....by this time it is 7:45ish and we are getting hungry. A woman finally comes from the dining room area and says "May I help you?" Which we thought was an interesting thing to ask since we had been waiting for so long. We asked if we could have a drink and perhaps dine with them and her response was anything but accommodating....."We are having a wine tasting event tonight and you would've had to have been here by 7 if you were going to dine with us..."
So, that was a bit rude, then we asked if there was a bar or lounge area where we could have a drink and maybe an appetiser (We didn't want to give up yet....)? The short answer was "No, we don't..." My friend and I from Dallas we almost speechless.....
I wouldn't stay at this inn for any amount of money if they are this rude to a couple of really nicely dressed ladies in the fall of the year when they should be at the top of their game. After reading some of the reviews I don't think it would be helpful to complain to the owner about his rude female manager......

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
12 Thank SCNoogie
SharronFieber, General Manager at The Esmeralda Inn, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
We apologize if you felt slighted. It is never our intention to make anyone feel unwelcome. Having said that, I do need to clear some things up. We are an Inn, not a motel chain, so there isn't a uniformed clerk anchored to the desk at all times. The person on duty at the Desk that night was enjoying the Dinner with our guests. When you're a small Inn, you can do that. By the way, your assumption that this person was the Manager was incorrect.

I think inquiring whether one needs assistance, is appropriate when there is someone in the Lobby. There was a poster at the Front Desk regarding the Wine Pairing Dinner that was taking place, with a notice that Reservations were required and the date and times of the event clearly stated. It's also appropriate to let someone know they are too late to participate in an event. As you stated, it was almost 8:00pm and the Dinner started over an hour earlier.

At this time, we do not have a lounge/bar. Perhaps in the future. We've only had a liquor license since May and these things take time, especially when we've had a busy season.
As far as rudeness, sometimes any tone of voice or phraseology seems wrong when you're not getting the response you want. As I said, it is never our intention to make anyone feel unwelcome and I am quite sure this was not her intention.

Please look at the dozens of positive reviews, many with comments on the friendliness of our staff and draw your own conclusions.
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 7 November 2013

We stayed Oct. 5-7 for our first year anniversary. Great place. The staff was very helpful and professional. The room we stayed in was small but what a view! It was nice to fall asleep with the windows open and wake up to a stunning view of Chimney rock. The porches were a nice place to sit in the morning with a cup of coffee. The outdoor Jacuzzi and fire place were relaxing after a day of hiking... The game room was awesome with billiards and air hockey. One thing I would recommend to the owners is to maybe have a bar in the game room or restaurant?... I would suggest anyone coming to Chimney Rock/ Lake Lure area to stay here for a weekend

1 Thank Andrew W
SharronFieber, General Manager at The Esmeralda Inn, responded to this review, 8 November 2013
Thank you for the great review! We are so lucky to be in such a beautiful location. The views are hard to beat. It sounds like you enjoyed all the wonderful amenities we have to offer. You picked a perfect time to visit. It's still warm enough to enjoy being outdoors, but cool enough to enjoy the fireplace.

As for the Bar, we were finally able to get our liquor license at the end of May this year. A Lounge/Bar of some sort is in the planning, but we are still deciding on a design and what location is best. Check our website and Newsletter for updates!

Please visit us again soon.
Greenville, South Carolina, United States
Reviewed 1 November 2013

My husband and I stayed at The Esmeralda Inn for one night (Oct 29th). We would have stayed longer, but we have 2 young children, and my parents actually drove from out of town to babysit so we could get a break. We have never stayed here before, nor did we know anyone who had. I chose this place based on reviews and the photos (the lobby did it for me if you must know). When we arrived , we were immediately impressed by look of the place even from the outside. The inside is even more impressive...something about this place is SO comfortable, it's almost as if it were our home (that sounds corny, but my husband made the same comment). The girl at the front desk (Scout?) was fantastic. She knew her stuff, and was more than accommodating. A special thank you to her for getting me a dessert from the kitchen after dinner service had ended. That was over the top in my book..dessert was great too. If you stay here (or not) you MUST eat dinner. They were serving bison (not a regular menu item) with mashed potatoes that was so delicious, my husband is STILL talking about it. We also had the mussels appetizer. If you like mussels, you will not be disappointed. If I haven't mentioned this already, the Esmeralda is immaculately clean. This is a huge deal for me, and they certaily did not let me down. Even the lobby bathrooms were spotless. Our room (and bathroom) smelled fresh and looked very modern (and clean of course). We had a queen bed with mountain view. The weather was so nice that we kept a window open so we could listen to the river across the street while we slept. Nice! We will ABSOLUTELY be back to the Esmeralda Inn. My only regret this time was that we could only stay one night. Maybe next time. For the readers of this review, I am 40 years old and my husband is 33. We were probably 20 years younger than most of the other guests. It might have been because we were there on a Tuesday, but it really didn't matter. In fact, it made our stay that much better. I really can't say enough great things about this place. We loved it!

Room Tip: A mountain view room is worth it.
1 Thank Rebecca A
SharronFieber, General Manager at The Esmeralda Inn, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Wow! What a great review! Thank you so much. We want our guests to feel at home here. It's a beautiful place in a beautiful setting and all of our staff take personal pride in keeping it so. We are very proud of our 100% cleanliness rating from the NC Dept. of Health and work hard to maintain it. We are so fortunate to have the staff we have. From our Front Desk to Housekeeping to the Kitchen staff; they all do an exceptional job!

I'm glad you enjoyed the Restaurant. The bison was from our Wine Pairing Dinner and was very good. The mussels are my personal favorite!

We welcome all age groups and have visitors from the very young to seniors who bring tales of having been here when the old building was in its prime. We welcome families with well behaved children as well as business groups and wedding parties.

You were here in our prime season. It's equally lovely in the Spring when everything is blooming and even in the dead of Winter when it's quiet and you can see deep into the wood.

Thank you again for taking time to write a wonderful review for us! We hope to see you again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chimney Rock
The Omni Grove Park Inn
#11 of 63 in Asheville
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,677 reviews
Rumbling Bald Resort on Lake Lure

Been to The Esmeralda Inn? Share your experiences!