“Perfect Weekend Escape”
Review of The Esmeralda Inn

The Esmeralda Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Chimney Rock
Reviewed 6 March 2014

This was my first stay here as for my very first "mama only" weekend getaway, it was absolute perfect! I couldn't have picked a more beautiful, peaceful place! The Esmeralda Inn has the most beautiful views I've seen in a while. The staff is very friendly and courteous. They are very professional and eager to make your stay as enjoyable and comfortable as possible going over and beyond my expectations. The restaurant is of very high quality with exquisite taste and service. I'm going back in April for another mama retreat and I can't wait!!!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
SharronFieber, General Manager at The Esmeralda Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2014

Thank you for the lovely review! This is a great run away from home destination!
The Inn is home to us, and we love it when our guests feel the same. Our staff is the best.
It sounds like you enjoyed much of what the Inn has to offer!
Chef George and his staff do a great job for us. We get many many compliments on the food.
And the beds and amenities!
I'm glad you had a good time.

We'll look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

This was my second stay here, and I was pleased again with all aspects of my time here. Friendly staff welcoming us, and cozy yet refined interiors throughout. We love being able to have dinner on premise at their lovely restaurant as well. The food at the restaurant is creative and of high quality levels, and the service was attentive. They also have a nice wine list. Breakfast here is also worth the visit. Rooms have great amenities, and the bedding is comfy and clean. In the winter, this is a peaceful, quiet mountain escape. We will definitely return!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Morrmarathons
SharronFieber, General Manager at The Esmeralda Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2014

Thank you for the thoughtful review! It's always so nice to see familiar faces. We love for guests to come back again and again.
We think of the Inn as home and want our guests to feel the same. When you're here, we want you to feel welcomed. And we want you to enjoy all the Inn has to offer.

We are fortunate to have a great staff! They enjoy what they do and it shows.

We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 17 February 2014

We met our daughter and son-in-law there. Heard about the snow and ice, were able to call The Esmeralda who kept us informed about conditions prior to our departure. Found the staff very helpful and accommodating. We arrived to a warm greeting and it continued throughout our stay. The hotel and its atmoshpere was very cozy. The staff was very informative and helpful in directions and suggestions for local entertainment. Special shout out to Scout! Thanks for making our stay a great experience. The restaurant offered a great breakfast with good choices. We will definitely stay here again, next time when warmer weather permits.

Room Tip: We were on the third floor, scenery was beautiful, could not suggest anything better.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
SharronFieber, General Manager at The Esmeralda Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Thank you for the great review! I'm glad the snow didn't deter you from coming.
We think of the Inn as home and want our guests to feel welcome and comfortable. It sounds like we succeeded! We have a great staff, who truly enjoy what they do.

Come see us in the Spring! It's beautiful with all the trees in bloom.

Reviewed 12 February 2014

We stayed at the Esmeralda for our 3rd time this past weekend for my bday because we love it. I normally would give the hotel 4 stars but we had a bad dinner restaurant experience. We were torn on Lake Lure Inn or Esmeralda for dinner and decided on Esmerelda since we have had great meals there in the past and they serve wine now. Both of our meals were very disappointing. My Filet came with no sauce at all and the menu said there was a demi glaze. When i asked for sauce the waiter said "you didn't get enough"? My hubby's rack of lamb came with a terrible A-1 sauce and when the waiter brought my "demi glaze" it was the same terrible sauce. You can doctor up A-1 and it still tastes like A-1. The Creme Brulee dessert was cold, old and tasted burnt. We looked forward to a full breakfast the next morning but needless to say we did not have it at the Esmeralda.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Dorothy E
SharronFieber, General Manager at The Esmeralda Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2014

Thank you for taking time to write a review. We always love to have guests return again and again. I'm sorry you were disappointed in your dinner. Every Chef creates sauces differently. This one was not to your liking. Personal tastes vary.
Our desserts are made fresh so your crème brulee was not old. We always serve it chilled, and again this was just not how you preferred it. As far as tasting burnt, crème brulee has the fired sugar crust. That is not burnt, it's the way crème brulee is made. Another dessert might have been more to your liking. I'm sure the waiter would have replaced it if you had asked.

Breakfast is served on Saturday and Sunday only in the Winter months. This is clearly stated on the website. We serve a very nice Continental Breakfast to our guests on the mornings when The Restaurant isn't open.

I hope you will stay with us again. As you said, your past experiences at the Inn were good ones. I hope you will not let one disappointing dinner keep you away!

Reviewed 9 January 2014

A recent dinner for four on a weeknight in the "new" Esmerelda was outstanding. I had been there before the fire and it was charming but plain. The recent experience was different in that the relatively new reconstruction is anything but plain. The service was excellent, the dining room was lightly populated (the way I like it), and the entree's were uniformly delicious and nicely presented. This is easily the best place to have a nice dinner in the Lake Lure, Chimney Rock area. We didn't see the rooms and therefore cannot comment on lodgings. GW

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Gary W
SharronFieber, General Manager at The Esmeralda Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2014

Thank you for the lovely review! They did an excellent job of re-building after the fire, and you're right, the Inn is not plain! Chef George and his staff do a great job for us. He is very creative and works with the freshest, preferably local, ingredients possible.

I would agree, we have the best Restaurant in the area!

Come back soon.

Reviewed 21 December 2013

I normally avoid any buffet like the plague; however, I have come to trust (with complete confidence) that the food offered at the Esmerelda's Thanksgiving buffet will be fresh and delectable.
The room was well appointed and comfortable.
The entire staff worked incredibly hard to ensure that we were completely pampered.
~S

• Stayed: November 2013
SharronFieber, General Manager at The Esmeralda Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2014

Thank you for the review! I understand your hesitation with buffets, but Chef George and his staff do a great job of not only preparing delicious food, they also make sure it stays fresh so the last person served enjoys the same quality as the first.

We have a wonderful staff. Everyone here thinks of the Inn as home and we want our guests to feel the same.

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope you will return often.

Reviewed 19 December 2013

Add four sisters, birthday celebrations, a beautiful scentic mountain location, superbly comfortable beds and a few days to spend together and you come up with a great family retreat. The Esmeralda staff were great to help us find the gameroom/kitchen/living area, supply bowls and were very willing to accommodate our every desire to eat privately in a "homey atmosphere" within a high class inn full of their other guests. One sister had brought (as a surprize for us) some of her homemade vegetable soup and homemade chicken salad sandwiches, another sister brought homemade chocolate with black walnut fudge, another brought her fun and humorous ideas for use in the Esmeralda gameroom. We made up our own tournaments for pool, air hockey, playing cards and boardgame competitions. And me, the last sister who loves the out-of-doors had a wonderful time as I encouraged a group walk along the beautiful river, shopping in the quaint town and was extremely pleased with our visit to the nearby Chimney Rock State Park. We spent one of our nights at a comedy show and dinner (held at the inn) which was very entertaining, memorable and delicious. My "picky eater" sister was willing to try everything the chef had prepared for her meal and eventually ate ...everything on her plate. In fact, she tried to sneak and eat some of mine. Another day we ventured out to view the surrounding Lake Lure geographical area. We discussed our thoughts for a day trip and the Esmeralda owners printed a map and recommended places for us to go. On our last day, we wanted to depart for home "taking a path less traveled" and they helped us to plan a new route (for us) through the back roads for our road trip home. My sisters and I (all) said the same thing... "our time together at The Esmeralda Inn was like having an adventure together". lke,rkh,mks,ekm
"Come experience the mountain inn and its surrounding area for yourself. You will not be disappointed"

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for the great review! What a fun time you had! Family get-togethers are one of our specialties. We are always willing to accommodate special requests when we can. The goal is to make every visit enjoyable and memorable. Add the four sisters and there you have it.

I'm glad you enjoyed the Comedy Night. This is fairly new to The Esmeralda, but the response has been good and we'll probably continue to host them periodically. Watch our Newsletter and facebook for updates. Chef George and his staff are the best! He is very good at coming up with delicious and different entrees to please even the pickiest eaters. I'm glad your sister enjoyed!

We are in a great location. Not only do we have fabulous views, we are within a short drive to Asheville, Hendersonville, hiking, fishing, horseback riding, zip lining and many other activities.

Come again soon!

Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Asheville West (Biltmore Estate), NC
Mountain Lodge
Mountain Lodge
#3 of 6 in Flat Rock

Been to The Esmeralda Inn? Share your experiences!