“Weekend getaway to Chimney Rock”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Chimney Rock
Falls Country Motel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Chimney Rock
Woodleaf, NC
“Weekend getaway to Chimney Rock”
Reviewed 20 June 2013

We stayed for one night in room 5. The view of the falls across the road was great. I have to say I loved knowing this was an older building, because it gave it character that you don't often find in your average motel and I didn't much mind hearing people walking above as I'm use it from living in an older home. The beds were very comfortable, so comfortable in fact, I went home and purchased a memory foam topper for my own bed. I also rather enjoyed having a ceiling fan, to move air around instead of just relying on the AC (which we never turned on, it was just a great weather weekend!) The only issue I noticed was the shower head was rather old, and I didn't feel I was getting as much water out as I should. The parking wasn't as bad as I thought being right on the road, but they do provide additional parking off to the side for larger vehicles. While we were on the first floor we still enjoyed being able to sit outside on the walkway(the best time for this is early morning after sunrise, when traffic is non-existant.)

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
mtleader, Owner at Falls Country Motel, responded to this review, 21 June 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are glad to hear from you that you had a good time here and enjoyed the view from the motel. We are so lucky to have such a beautiful of Hickory Nut Waterfall and Chimney Rock. Also, that is nice to hear that you enjoyed the bed! :) Our large parking lots provide more spaces for our guests. Thanks again to share your experience with our future guests. We hope to see you guys again in the near future! :)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
o
Reviewed 15 June 2013

We stayed just one night here on a huge cross country trip. This little place was just lovely! It is in a pretty setting and it has a pretty view. Some hotels across the street have the river-which is nice, butt is also loud, so it was nice to have a little distance from it, and yet still do the river walk later-or even had dinner by it later. The hotel was very clean, convenient, and the owner (the woman) was a lovely gal, very sweet and helpful with everything. Offered us coupons, walked to the room with us, and then some. I appreciate politeness, it is almost a lost art! Two Thumbs up from me!

Room Tip: I imagine all rooms are good, but if you can handle the stairs-Id choose the second floor-I always e...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
mtleader, Owner at Falls Country Motel, responded to this review, 16 June 2013
Thank you for your sweet review! We are glad that you enjoyed your stay here. We always think our guests as our own friends and family members. We are really happy when our guests have a good time in Chimney Rock. We are so lucky to have the fantastic view of the waterfall. Everybody seems to enjoy looking at the view. We hope to see you guys again. Thank you again!
Jackson, Wyoming
Reviewed 29 May 2013

We stayed at the Falls Country motel and did not have a complaint about any aspect of our stay. The room was extremely clean and the owners were very helpful. They really make you feel welcome, and provide great advice about the area. The location is great. Especially, the view from the motel is fantastic! We highly recommend the Falls Country Motel to anyone. This place has lots of character. We hope to visit again

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank yanggol
mtleader, Owner at Falls Country Motel, responded to this review, 30 May 2013
Thank you for your kind review. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed staying at the Falls Country Motel. We try to keep all rooms clean and comfortable for our guests. Yes, the view of Hickory Nut Waterfall is very beautiful. We hope to see you guys again in the near future. :)
Morgantown, WV
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Our family stayed in 2 rooms of the Falls Country Motel recently for 2 nights while we were in the area attending a family member's wedding. The innkeepers are very friendly and helpful with advice on what to do in the area. The rooms were simple, no frills, comfortable beds, very clean, no phone, internet either extremely slow or non-existent. When I arrived, I was in need of a bathroom trip and tripped into the bathroom, fell and got a nasty bruise on my arm as there is a step-up (unexpected) into the bathroom. There is a sign next to the door, but I did not see it due to entering the room from the outside brightness into the relative dimness of the room. I would have appreciated a helpful tip from the owner before this happened. Another problem for us: both nights we had to endure the noisy escapades of the upstairs guests in the room above us. I think it must have been the honeymoon suite if you catch my drift. Rhythmic noise from the bed until 4am the first night, and until 12am the second night. We did not get enough sleep to enjoy the wedding! This was very unfortunate because otherwise I was pleased with our stay. Chimney Rock is a natural wonder and the view from the motel is wonderful. There is a small tourist town which is walking distance away with a great little coffee shop with high-speed internet and several nice restaurants and shops. Lake Lure is a short drive away and it is scenic as well.

Room Tip: I would stay on the second floor of this hotel.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank MountainMama02
mtleader, Owner at Falls Country Motel, responded to this review, 31 May 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Chimney Rock is truly a beautiful place and wee are very fortunate to have such a scenic location.

Sorry to hear about your bathroom incident. We changed the position of the sign and will remind future guests regarding the step into the bathroom.

Regarding the internet, I checked all the downstairs rooms with my laptop and had no problems with the signal. We will follow up with a call to our provider to see if we can get a stronger signal.

We inform our upstairs guests if there are any concerns expressed from the guests below. As far as "Romantic Sounds", there is only so much we can do.

Thanks again for staying with us. We enjoyed meeting you and your family.
Charlotte
Reviewed 25 April 2013

I've been to Lake Lure 4 times, and have stayed at Falls Country the last 3 trips. So why do I live the place so much. Well it's old, it's quaint, it's priced right....but best of all is that the rooms are very meticulously clean....and the owners are awesome! Now I've read the reviews and would like to clarify what I feel are some misperceptions. The motel is directly on a state road that makes its' way through a deep mountain gorge cut by the Broad River. There is no place for the hotel, except right on the road...and directly across the road...is the breathtaking and splendid 404ft Hickory Nut Falls. It's easy to find, you pull over into the parking lot, and you're in your room. You can see the falls from the parking lot or porch...this simple fact alone makes it worth it. You will sleep well on nice memory foam mattresses, mainly hearing the rush of the Broad River, and then walk to town in the morning.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Cool53Breeze
mtleader, Owner at Falls Country Motel, responded to this review, 27 April 2013
Thank you for your sweet review! We are glad to hear from you that you enjoyed staying at Falls Country Motel. We try to make our guests feel welcome and comfortable. Yes, we are so lucky to have such beautiful views and the good location. We always appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you in the near future again! :)
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed 30 March 2013

Pros:
Cheap
Clean
Great view of the Chimney Rock Waterfall
Quick walk to town
Owners are talkative, engaging, and at times helpful.

Cons:
Thin walls- very little insulation from outside noise and activity in adjoining rooms
Located steps away from a very noisy highway
Even in off-season, vehicular traffic is quite heavy at all times of the day and night
Local vehicular traffic basically consists of trucks with amplified mufflers and tractor-trailers
The rooms are not heated, but they will provide you with a portable space heater, if requested.
Coffee is not prepared during the weekdays
The bed was way too firm for my liking.

Summary:
For a peaceful and quiet vacation, this establishment should not be considered. There are a number of things that the owners cannot prevent, such as the proximity to the highway and road traffic. However, they could make some improvements in the infrastructure to buffer the noise. They could also be more proactive in reporting illegal activity outside of their property, such as speeding on the road and noise ordinance violations.

The one pet-friendly room is located directly below the owners unit which means that you can hear every step and every conversation during the evening. My dog was not happy with this arrangement. I eventually had to ask the owners to be more mindful of their noise and, to their credit, they respected my request to tread softly- for 1 night. I stayed 3 and considered leaving each subsequent night due to the continued disturbance and disrespect. However, after spending full days hiking, my dog and I eventually gave into fatigue and managed to "rest" through the ongoing debacle, with blankets over our head.

One morning, the owner (Dean) asked me to turn off the bathroom fan in my room because he can hear it upstairs in his unit. This is a definitely a problem.

Would I ever stay here again? No. I suggest going into Lake Lure and paying the extra money for a quiet, cozy accommodation far removed from the highway.

Room Tip: Go someplace else
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Matthew P
mtleader, Owner at Falls Country Motel, responded to this review, 1 April 2013
Before I respond to the review, I would like to ask future readers of this site to consider what
previous guests have said about our motel. We try our best to make sure all our guests have a comfortable experience and we realize that we won't be able to please everyone. Thankfully, we have had numerous people share their appreciation of our efforts on this website.

Let me begin by saying that we are sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us but we appreciate the positive things you did write in your review.

All Rooms have heaters, however, we don't keep them on all day. When a guest arrives, we may add a space heater to quickly get the room to a more comfortable temperature.

Coffee is not served during the week in our off season and our rates reflect this. Most of our guests understand and visit the coffee shop that is within walking distance of our motel. We begin serving coffee everyday in May and continue this until mid-November.

We have had numerous guests say how much they enjoy sleeping on our memory foam beds. However, we realize they are not everyone's favorite.

This is the first time we have had a complaint regarding noise from us. We took your concerns the first night seriously and tried our very best to be sensitive to your situation. To use the word "disrespect" in your review is disappointing to read. We went to great lengths to avoid the living space we have that is above the room you stayed in. Unfortunately, we cannot avoid that area
completely.

As far as the local traffic, we have asked the local police to patrol our area more frequently, but that is about all we can do. We hope the sounds of the river and the view of the waterfall helps with this issue.

Finally, if having to turn off your bathroom fan while you would be gone for the day as a courtesy is too much of an inconvenience, then I regret the request.
Louisburg, North Carolina
Reviewed 18 March 2013

After staying in chain hotels (Best Western) for the preceding 5 days, the Motel room felt likestaying in a room at Grandma's house by comparison. Very small, very basic, in an old Motel. This is not a business travaler's Motel, but also costs 30% less. The Motel is very close to chimney rock and offers spectacular views of the rock and waterfall way up. It is close to the chimney rock town strip of a few interesting stores, a coffee shop, a few places to eat, and chimney rock as well, and is about 5 mins drive to Lake Lure, which is great. The whole area is beutiful. There is one road going through, so all of the little places to stay near chimney rock are on it, and there is road noise that comes with it. I thought it was not bad though. This is where I would stay again, as a place to get away, enjoy the scenery, and explore the surrounding area, if I wanted to room close and not drive far for more upscale accomodations. It is easy-in and easy-out, as Motels tend to be. It has a feel of a B&B without the breakfast. The owner was friendly and accomodating (I stayed there out of season so happy to get a room), and the place looks well taken care of. It's basic, clean, comfortable, easy going, great location, and is a good value in my opinion.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
mtleader, Owner at Falls Country Motel, responded to this review, 22 March 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed staying here. Yes, we are very close to Chimney Rock, local gift shops and restaurants. We are so lucky to have such a beautiful view of the Hickory Nut Waterfall and the Rock. We try to keep all rooms clean and comfortable for our guests. We hope to see you again in the near future! :)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chimney Rock
#1 of 3 in Chimney Rock
Fibber MaGee's Riverfront Inn
Fibber MaGee's Riverfront Inn
#2 of 5 in Chimney Rock

Been to Falls Country Motel? Share your experiences!