“Totally Surprised”
Review of Carter Lodge

Carter Lodge
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Chimney Rock
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Wow!!! I was totally surprised by this place!!! I was there to photograph a wedding, so it was a quick trip. I wasn't sure if I was going to spend the night there, honestly, because the last couple of places that I stayed at in Chimney Rock wasn't that nice. I wish that I had had several days to stay there. I was greeted by the nicest, friendliest man ever. The room was clean and the balcony overlooked the water. I didn't have time to enjoy it, but there were swings and tables along the water in the back. I can't wait to go back and enjoy this place more.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank joon0304

Reviewed 11 April 2014

My daughters and I just returned from Chimney Rock, and we loved the Carter Lodge. The room was clean and the property was well maintained. Joe and Linda went above and beyond to make sure our stay was a special one, and they gave us great advice for places to visit and where to eat. We cannot wait to return again and again.

Room Tip: All rooms offer views of Chimney Rock, but the top floors also offer views of the river below.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank DuttonDan
Reviewed 19 November 2013

My wife and I have been going to Chimney Rock for the past 15 years and we have developed a love for The Carter Lodge. The owners, Joe and Linda Carter are just like family to us and every year we visit, they welcome us with open arms. Every time we have stayed there, the rooms are clean and very well furnished with linens and bedding. It is just like a home away from home. The view from the balcony of the River and Chimney Rock is very soothing to the eye. There is a short walk to the downtown shops and restaurants. You can eat at several really nice restaurants such as Medina's or Genny's and the shop owners are all very friendly and more than willing to talk about the history of Chimney Rock.

Room Tip: All rooms are very clean and comfortable and beautifully decorated and maintained daily.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Bill C
Reviewed 15 September 2013

extremely nice place(locally owned)and they do fantastic job of keeping place immaculate and comfortable. Rooms are spacious, clean and very well furnished with linens and bedding. Awesome view of river and Chimney Rock right above you, so when you climb up to chimney rock, you can look down on your accomodations! you can sit out side and enjoy river from a little balcony for upstairs rooms or go down to the lawn and concrete wall sitting area right next to the river. If you plan to walk to downtown and shops, you could do it from here, but there are no sidewalks that we saw, so we found it just as easy to drive short 4-6 blocks and park downtown so we could browse the businesses and eat. You will not be disappointed if you stay here, very charming and quiet and owners take real good care of you and the grounds!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Kim F
Reviewed 7 August 2013

My son and I just spent two fun nights at The Carter Lodge! The owners are so nice and have put so much care and thought into the property. We loved playing checkers and corn hole right beside the river! There is also a great spot where you can play for hours in the river jumping from rock to rock. Our room was clean, comfortable and had a fantastic view. We were also within walking distance of all the Chimney Rock shops and the Riverfront Tiki Grill right over the Lake Lure city limit line. We will absolutely visit again! Thanks so much!!
Katie and Ben

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank 655KatieM655
Reviewed 2 August 2013

Folks were very friendly here and the motel was peaceful. It was convenient to walk to places to eat. Nothing fancy but not bad either. The beds were rather hard, and unfortunately, ours squeaked loudly every time someone turned over. We also caught wafts of sulfur smells coming from the bathroom sink (well water?) We appreciated the tip to breakfast at Medina's down the road.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank tishville
Reviewed 31 July 2013

My husband and I have been staying here for about 10 years now, still as nice as always. The staff are great and very helpful. Joe and Linda as sweet and professional as always. The rooms are always very clean and comfy. I would like to see microwaves in the rooms, that would be nice, even though, we will be back again and again, thanks Joe and Linda!!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
The Esmeralda Inn
The Esmeralda Inn
#1 of 4 in Chimney Rock
Rumbling Bald Resort on Lake Lure

Been to Carter Lodge? Share your experiences!