“Better than expected”

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Clinton
Greenville SC
“Better than expected”
Reviewed 27 December 2011

I recently had to travel to Eastern NC for a funeral and opted not to spend $90.00+a night for a Comfort Inn. Since there is little competition in the area, I settled on the Inn at Clinton, not knowing what to expect, but was pleasantly surprised. The room was spotless, the staff was accommodating (we needed a ground floor room because of an elderly guest) and all was well. Continental breakfast was just that - Continental Breakfast. The location is very convenience, however the driverway is rather awkward (drive thru the Comfort Inn to avoid confusion) but you have a number of businesses within a two minute walk. My only comment is that I asked to use the breakfast room after the funeral simply so the family would have a comfortable place to sit, and was told the owner would not open it up - no exceptions, yet there were employees in there the night before. We were talking seven people for 45 minutes and no food or beverage involved.

Room Tip: No Elevators so request ground floor if steps are an issue.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed 13 October 2011

We actually stayed here in June 2011, but I forgot to make a review until October 2011. We were very pleased with our stay. The rooms were very clean....as well as the showers!! They had a very good breakfast. The pool was close by and was found to be clean as well. We were pleased with our stay and will stay here again!!

I was hesitant to stay at first because of some of the reviews that were on here, but we all must keep in mind that not all reviews are given truthfully....someone could be mad for an unknown reason and decide to trash the hotel with their review.

The only thing I did not care for, was there is a smoking floor and the non smoking floor was above the smoking floor. When we were in the halls, I could smell a faint cigarette smell....smoke will rise. However we did not smell it in the rooms; so maybe it was just because of the doors to the stair well and elevator being opened. Even with this small concern, we will stay there next year.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank pamela e
nj
Reviewed 4 June 2010

This experience was so ridiculously bad I am still fuming three days later. I was going to Clinton on business and chose the Inn based on a limited number of positive reviews. I arrived late, and when I went to climb into bed, my eye caught movement. Sure enough, there were 7 bed bugs crawling around underneath the top sheet and on the night table.

I travel a great deal, and I have NEVER experienced this. I put all my belongings back in my bag and zipped them, then headed down to the front desk. I took one of the bugs I'd killed, placed it on a business card and showed the night manager. Barely looking up, she said, "well, what do you want me to do? I don't have any spray. Do you want another room?" I said,"what do you think? Of course I want another room." She proceeded to look down at her screen, found a room, and gave me the keys. No "I'm sorry", no "that's awful", just, here's the key. It was now around 2 am when I went to inspect the second room. I pulled up all the covers and sheets and examined every square inch of the bed. Absurdly, one of the pillows had a little clump of human hair on it. Because of the time, I said the heck with it, threw the pillow on the floor, and tried to get to sleep. I was due at a meeting at 7:45, and I was dreading what kind of shape I'd be in. Unfortunately, I was so wired from everything, I didn't fall asleep til after 5.

The next morning, the situation went from bad to stupid. At check out, I said to the woman at the front desk that I had had a major problem the night before, and went on to tell her about the bed bugs. I had scooped them up and put them in a plastic baggie and showed them to her. She told me that she had been briefed by the night manager, and "what was I looking for?" Did I want a discount or something?" I told her that for starters, I didn't think I should be charged for the room. She stopped me and said she had already talked to the owner. He said that since they changed my room, there was nothing else they would do.

I was pretty amazed by this. But frankly it wasn't her fault. She was nice enough, but the owner, who also owns the Comfort Inn next door, had tied her hands. I let her know that the whole situation was ridiculous, and that I was amazed that not a single person had even apologized for my experience, let alone tried to find some way to make amends. I was now going into a very important all-day consulting meeting on only 2 hours sleep. I told her that I fully intended to post my review on TripAdvisor and gave her my business card so that the owner could call me directly if he wanted to discuss this further. I've waited three days before posting this, which is my statute of limitations for giving someone a chance for redemption.

Lest you think that I made this up or that I have some other axe to grind, I encourage you to pull up all my other reviews on TA, and you'll see that I generally only post to say positive things. Also, the money wasn't even important to me personally, as my client pays for my hotel stay. It was the principle of the thing. In this case, the owner had the opportunity to handle this better when he first found out about it, and then after I left my card. He made his own bed, as far as I'm concerned, re pleat with crawly creatures.

And that, after all, is the most important thing. Forgetting all about the staff's reaction, the bottom line is that there are bugs in this hotel. I still have their friends my plastic baggie. Stay at your own risk.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
10 Thank chickyskids

Travellers are raving about these Clinton hotels

Goldsboro
Reviewed 22 June 2009

rooms okay water pressure great share pool with hotel next door and it was dirty

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank MDR2012000
Waldorf, MD
Reviewed 15 December 2007

My wife and I stay at this hotel when we go to Clinton. She has family there and we go at least twice a year, oftentimes more. The staff is very friendly, the manager is attentive to any problems and concerns, which are few and far between. Overall, for the value, you cannot beat this clean, safe, comfortable, and pleasant property. As long as the staff keep doing what they are doing, I will continue to stay here or at the sister property.

This is a value that most would appreciate.

• Liked — The clean and quiet and price.
  • Disliked — NA
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Connecticut
Reviewed 30 July 2007

This property was clean, with a friendly staff. Breakfast was included. Perfect for what we needed for the night.

• Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
Maryland
Reviewed 4 October 2006

Yes, it's across the street from a shopping center and several fast food places but heah, your in the south in the country. If you weren't close to those things you would be mad.

The hotel is very clean. As is its sister property next door. The customer service was good. Location was great not far from where I was visiting and the wal-mart and other shops just down and across the street.

Bed's are basic hotel beds nothing special. Everything else was great.

• Stayed August 2006
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clinton
Comfort Inn
#1 of 2 in Clinton
The Richert Inn
The Richert Inn
#2 of 2 in Clinton

Been to Inn at Clinton? Share your experiences!