“Great!”

Panther Creek Outfitters
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Our party of 8 (adults and teens) had a great 2 hour ride up and down the mountain! A truly local family run business with beautiful painted horses. The view from the top was wonderful. Our guides (and owners) made sure we all had the right fit when it came to the horses and their dogs even made the trip up the mountain with us. What a fun day!

All reviews
"guide"
in 4 reviews
"trail"

Reviewed 3 July 2017 via mobile

Our group of 8 went riding and had a blast. My 5 year old loved being alone on a horse! He thought it was the greatest! He even fell off once and John, the guide, was attentive and got him right back on.

The trail ride is through a path in the mountains. We had a wonderful time!

1  Thank Christine M
Reviewed 7 November 2016 via mobile

Our family of five went on a 1.5 hour ride today and we had a blast! Each horse had its own sweet personality and they were fun to ride. Our guide, John, was interesting to talk to and was sure to answer any questions or concerns we had. The scenery was second to none and if we ever make it back up this way, we will certainly visit Panther Creek Outfitters again!

Reviewed 23 July 2016 via mobile

There are no bells and whistles with this outfitter. It is a working farm. It is a little off the beaten path. There is no public bathroom. There is no snack bar nor hotdog stand. The owner is not dressed up pretending to be a cowboy. He is. The family that operates this outfitter is one of the nicest I have met. Good people! The scenery on the trail ride is outstanding. There is several spots along the way that gives you a great view of the mountains. The horses are easy going. My 12 and 14yr old want to come back.

2  Thank Robert E
See more reviews
Reviewed 22 May 2016

On a weekend "girls' trip" to the Maggie Valley area, my sister, aunt, two nieces (ages 13 and 8) and I were looking for a place to take the younger girls horseback riding. There were many highly recommended facilities in the area, but most offered only full- or half-day rides, which was more time than we wanted to spend. A Google search led us to Panther Creek Outfitters, which offered one-hour rides for $25 per person, which was ideal. According to the website, the "2015 5-Star Best in Industry Rated Business" could be found "conveniently located just off I-40," which actually turned out to be a 45 minute drive up winding roads to a very remote, sparsely populated area of Pisgah Forest.

Perhaps we were naive, but we had envisioned a quiet, well-tended mountain farm with a stable of well-cared-for horses and corral where trained experts would lead the girls around while we watched from the sidelines. Instead, we drove up to what can best be described as a junkyard, littered with all manner of garbage, debris, old appliances and rusting vehicles. Four ancient, dirty, skeletal horses were tied to a rickety fence post with rope too short to allow them to graze. It was heartbreaking.

Our guide was better fed, but otherwise his appearance matched that of the horses. He offered no friendly welcome, but kept his head down and spoke very little. When I asked him where they would ride, his response was, "Oh, we ride about a mile up the mountain to an old Civil War cabin." I still cannot believe this man thought we would allow two little girls to ride off with him alone up into the mountains to any sort of cabin, historic or otherwise. So I immediately forked over another $25 to ride with them. He never asked us about our riding experience, just put the three of us on horses, handed us the ropes (no reigns, just rope), and told us to "pull this way to go right, and this way to go left." The eight-year-old was terrified... It was her first time riding, and she did not have sufficient experience to be expected to safely guide and control a strange horse that was much too large for her. At my request, our guide agreed to lead her.

We got off to a slow start. The poor horses were so hungry that once free from their short tethers, they were desperate to graze. Ultimately, though, it was a fairly nice ride. The scenery was lovely and, as it turns out, the Civil War-era cabin was an interesting destination. We also discovered that our guide was quite nice and knowledgeable about the history of the area, although some of the historical "facts" included references to murder and rape that were a bit inappropriate for his young audience.

Our visit to Panther Creek Outfitters was certainly memorable and not entirely unpleasant, but not one I would care to repeat. The remote location and conditions we found made us feel uneasy, enough so my sister called her husband and kept him on the phone until we were safely on our way back down the mountain. Unfortunately, there was very little information and virtually no reviews online to help us make a more informed decision, and the PCO website paints a less than accurate picture of what we experienced there. I hope future travelers will find this review helpful.

2  Thank MrsT215