“2am Fire Alarm Among other things” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Great Wolf Lodge Concord

Great Wolf Lodge Concord
Greenville, South Carolina
“2am Fire Alarm Among other things”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2011

This was my 2nd visit to the GWL. We have enjoyed staying there, and the second time I "knew better" than to do certain things (eat there) but wound up eating in-house because we went with several families that wanted the convenience of staying at the lodge.

First, my daughter bought a magiquest wand with her hard earned money. Thirty dollars later (wand plus game fee) the store closes and she and all her friends run off to begin their game. Her wand doesn't work. So all night her friends play, and she can not because the want didn't work. The next morning she went back to get her $$ back and the clerk wouldn't give it to her. She would only recharge the wand - not caring that we were checking out and the wand was now worthless to her. I had to threaten a chargeback to get them to refund her debit card and take the dumb wand back.

The TV in our room didn't work. You could turn it on, but no picture or sound.

All of the stuff you'd normally think to reserve for the evening (arcade, teen room) closes at 9pm. (water park closed at 8) So the teens are stuck either wandering the halls, or in the room with their sleeping younger siblings. Bore. Those should be open until 10, the teen room, 11 since the lodge goes into hibernation at 11, so should the teens. Instead there were a bunch of teens playing tag or hide-n-go-seek in the halls until 12:30/1am.

So we went to bed. The water park was fun, and tuckered even the most energetic of our crew. That was definitely worth it and made us over look a lot of the other things.

At precisely 2am, the fire alarm goes off. We get up - after figuring out what the awful noise was, it sure didn't register at first that it was a fire alarm. It was a very strange sound. We walked down 3 flights of stairs only to be told by a staff member it was a false alarm and to go back to our room. Alarm still going off for another 10 minutes, I decide to call the front desk who informs me it is not a false alarm and they are going to make an announcement to evacuate the building. So me and my 3 kids walk again down 3 flights of stairs and go out in the cold rain, watch the fire trucks roll on in. Fire fighters in turnout gear funnel into the building. Another 15/20 minutes goes by, and they tell us we can go back in. Alarm still sounding. Finally it goes off. We get back into our room and get settled. Now it's 3:30, and adrenalin has set in. No one can sleep. Nice.

Finally everyone falls asleep by 4:30, and sleeps until 10am. Check out is at 11. SO I went to the front desk asking for an extension - which they gladly gave, until 2pm. Great. The kids had a little time to get breakfast, swim, pack up and leave.

Breakfast we were seated right away and indulged in a way-over-priced buffet with little selection to choose from. $40 for 1 adult and 3 kids (one was free) and we never got our drinks! The kids ate french toast sticks and a little fruit. Definitely not $10/ea worth!

After a quick trip down a slide, my girls were in their room showering and changing when a male from housekeeping walks in WITHOUT KNOCKING! He did apologize and said he thought no one was in there. later we were told by another housekeeper that he went to the wrong room, and yet another told us no one informed them we had a late checkout. Nice - hope you got a good show.

We received a letter under our door explaining that the fire alarm was a false alarm and we were never in danger. But no offer of another nights stay or a discounted room rate for our trouble. I think that would have been a nice touch.

Over-all the water park and time spent with friends made it worth the trip. I would have hoped for more than just an apology for all of the mishaps. If I do go again, I will certainly not eat in the restaurants, will not buy a wand for Magiquest, and will bring something for the older kids to go after 9pm.

Room Tip: Eat outside the resort. There are plenty of places to choose from. You can use your Magiquest wand...
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank quilthug
GWL_Management, General Manager at Great Wolf Lodge Concord, responded to this review, 10 November 2011
I am sorry to hear about the issues you experienced during your stay. This is certainly not the type of experience we want our guests to have.

While not in our control, I do apologize for the inconvenience of a 2am fire alarm. As for the issues with housekeeping, I will share your comments with our Director of Housekeeping so that this might be avoided in the future.

I will also talk to our Retail team regarding the issues with the MagiQuest wand. I am glad to hear you were able to get a full refund.

Thank you for the honest review, I hope that you and your family will visit us again in the future.

Phillip Cunningham

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (301)
Morganton, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2011

My extended family and I took a mini vacation at Great Wolf Lodge. When we arrived, they gave me the room numbers and wrist bands but listed four different suites on two different floors. Since we were going as a group and I knew we would be visiting different rooms, I had gone to a lot of time and trouble to plan and book just the right suites and position them so they were all close to one another. This was not an easy task with 15 people from 9 different households. When I told the receptionist that I had reserved rooms that were together I was told that this was just a suggestion and that no groupings were guaranteed. At that point, I had a few suggestions of my own but I kept them to myself and waited 15 minutes for them to try and regroup us as closely as possible. They were able to do so and the rest of my visit went well.
I had planned on grouping some people with others that were not in their household, so keeping the rooms close together and near their parents was essential. So, I was understandably upset. This was no way to start out our mini vacation. So I tell everyone that the facility is great but that they do not honor reservations and room placements.
The prices were also a little high but for a facility that appealed to all age groups and that allowed for swimming and water games in an off season, it was worth it to me.
***** Most important tip: book well in advance!!!!! Room prices are not set and go up depending on how late or early you book your room. I think the prices on all our suites nearly doubled because we only booked a few weeks in advance!

Room Tip: Some of the rooms are have open floor plans while others have separate and distinct walled off rooms...
  • Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
Honolulu, Hawaii
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2011

Summary: From the pictures you definitely get what you see. It's huge, cool, and it's fun. We booked one night for my daughter's birthday and overall the kids absolutely loved it! We have three girls ages 1, 3, and 8. Although they did offer daycare on site (for a hefty charge) there were activities that all the kids could enjoy. It is better for older kids though 8-15.

Would I return? No. Would I recommend to a friend: Yes it's worth it to visit one time.

We received a nice military discount! Rates on Friday and Saturday nights are $100 more expensive than other days and there weren't any theme rooms available but I heard they are great!

The staff was very friendly throughout the entire resort. It was very packed but yet when it came to customer service you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Cons: Do not book a room on the 1st floor (or basement floor). Didn't feel as safe with the sliding patio door giving access to a non-gated facility. It was also near the conference room and daycares so noise was an issue.

Plan on eating out if you're on a budget. Even with "kids under 10 eat free" we ended paying about $31 for their breakfast buffet (are you kidding me?) and two orange juices. There are plenty of choices around the hotel to eat.
+ They have a Dunkin Donuts inside the hotel.

It is way too expensive to take full advantage of all the hotel features. The price of the room only gets you pool access, everything else costs $$$. Their magic wands cost about $30 each and the kids get to go on a clue hunt, the wands also activate a bunch of cool features all over the hotel.

Room Tip: Choose a theme room for the kids with bunk beds i.e. the wolf den Higher floors offer more security...
3 Thank Brunos82
I glad that over all you and your family had a great time at our Lodge and found the staff to be friendly. We train everyone on staff and hold them to a high standard of customer service. I’m also happy to hear you took advantage of the great military discount that we offer. It is a great thing to be able to host military families and offer them something in return for their service.

As for the issues you experienced during your stay, because of the high traffic in the resort, noise can sometimes be an issue. We do have hibernation hours and if there is an issue the front desk will be able to handle it.

As for eating at the Lodge on a budget, we do offer meal packages and deals, something to consider for a future stay.

Thank you again, and I hope that your family will join us again.

Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2011

We went to the Great Wolf Lodge to celebrate our daughter's 8th birthday. The cost for 1 night in a KidCabin Suite was around $430 for 5 (4 kids, 2 adults).
I did not know much about this place before staying here, except that most kids seem to love it. Now that I have stayed there, I am still not quite sure what to think. Imagine this: 500 kids running around like crazy with overwhelmed zombie-parents in tow. It's an absolute blast for the kids...for the parents...
I was impressed with the cleanliness of the water park. It is very nice and a lot of fun. Very well done.
The room was really dirty. For $430, the floor should be clean. (However, compared to the rat-hole Radisson Orlando - Celebration, this room was super clean.)
If we return (which I am not sure we will) we will just get the cheapest room possible and sleep at home since we live only 5 minutes away.
In summary: Water Park 5 of 5 stars, Room 1 star, MagiQuest 4 Stars. Kid Satisfaction 5 Stars, Parental Satisfaction 2 Stars, Service 5 Stars. The room was just really poor.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Smoore1883
Thank you for the honest review. I am glad to hear that you found the waterpark clean and fun. This is the main attraction of our Lodge and this is great to hear.

As for the cleanliness of the room, I will share your comments with the Director of Housekeeping to be sure that this is not a reoccurring issue.

As for price, typically a two night stay in our lodge is comparable to four single day tickets to a regional theme park or one two-day pass to a popular Orlando attraction. As the room rate does include waterpark admission, we hear from our guests that they find a Great Wolf Lodge stay to be a good value. I apologize that this was not that case for your trip.

Thank you again, and I hope that your family will join us again.

Best Wishes,
Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2011

Like something out of a "Vacation"-style, Chevy Chase film, you are greeted by talking wilderness animals & hoards of screaming kids. If this sounds tolerable so far, read on...

Pros:
--Wrist bands allow access to waterpark & other amenities, as well as serving as your room key & credit card.
--Large waterpark included in price of room.
--Access to waterpark begins at 1pm (before check in) & lasts thru the close of business the next night (9pm).
--A variety of age appropriate activities available in each area (i.e. toddler waterpark to teen video playroom).
--EXCELLENT lifeguards; very attentive, but not annoying or constantly yelling at the kids.
--All rooms are suites, incl. microwave, mini fridge, small sofa, etc.
--Located directly off of I-85 just north of Charlotte.

Cons:
--Wow is it crowded! Lines backed up for 30-40 mins & we were there on a Tuesday!
--EXPENSIVE! I get it that the room price includes waterpark, but rooms were literally more expensive than the Ritz!
Basically small families or groups are penalized & value is better for large families (in one room).
--Large grps and conferences are a regular fixture here. There were packs of screaming pre-teen cheerleaders our night.
--Food is pricey and average, at best.
--Features of the waterpark seen on line are NOT at the Concord park. No one could explain why it appeared they were.
--We were charged for an extra night & are still having a struggle getting a credit.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank jcd-pvb
Thank you for the honest, thorough review of the Lodge. We appreciate all feedback, good or bad, and I will share your list with my team. As safety is our number one priority, I am happy to hear you found the lifeguards to be attentive.

To address your cons, summer is our busiest time of the year. Regardless of the day of the week, we are usually sold out. Adding a conference space to the mix will in turn add more bodies in the Lodge and waterpark.

As for price, typically a two night stay in our lodge is comparable to four single day tickets to a regional theme park or one two-day pass to a popular Orlando attraction. We do hear from our guests that they find a Great Wolf Lodge stay to be a good value. I apologize that this was not that case for your trip.

As for the issue of features shown online not being of the Concord Lodge, we recently launched a new website including new photography that is specific to each resort.
Please reach out to us directly if you are still having issues with the extra night charge: 704-549-8206.

Thank you for the honest review, and I hope that your family will join us again.

Kind Regards,
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2011

Overall, the Great Wolf Lodge in Concord was a great time for my family of four.
Few tips -
1. Get one of the rooms with the separate bunk beds for the kids - it was a huge hit
2. I have heard the food wasn't that great - but there are a ton of restaurants within a 2-3 minute drive
3. We had a good time, but one night was definitely enough - you can ride all the slides/attractions many times within one day, so no need to stay longer
4. I was skeptical of the MagiQuest game for the kids (seemed like a waste of money) BUT my son really enjoyed it

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank vabrave
Hillsborough, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2011

Our truck was broken at Great Wolf and when talking to mangement this is an on going problem. We feel that Great Wolf needs to address this matter by installing camera's or installing a gated fence for there customers. I would like to also say the rooms are really nice and clean there and beds sleep great! The breakfast buffet is awful and way over priced (It cost 80.00 for 4 adults and 1 child to eat)! The food is cold and not fit to eat and $2.00 for a cup of coffee let's get real now!

3 Thank marla49217
GWL_Management, General Manager at Great Wolf Lodge Concord, responded to this review, 8 September 2011
I am disappointed to hear about the issues you experienced at your recent trip to Great Wolf Lodge. During this time, hotels around Charlotte were experiencing a rash of break-ins. As a result, we have security patrolling the property at night to be sure this does not happen again.

I see that you discussed the issues with management and that things appeared to be resolved on your trip. If this is not the case, please feel free to contact us directly at -------------

I’m glad that you found your room to be nice and clean, but I know that this might be overshadowed by other negative aspects of your stay.

Please accept my apology on behalf of the resort. I hope that you and your family will visit us again in the future.

Best Wishes,