“Great food!”

The Gateway to Athens
Ranked #52 of 332 Restaurants in Concord
Cuisines: Greek
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Exceptional Greek food! The only downside is that service can sometimes be a little slow, but if you're ok with waiting a little longer you will no doubt be rewarded!

Reviewed 11 December 2013

Lemme come right out and say it: Gateway serves the best gyro I have ever tasted. Hands down. Everything has a little touch, an elan that just makes it a cut above other gyros (and I've had a few) regardless of price.

For instance, after the meat is sliced it is seared on the grill to give it a crisp outer texture. The pita- always fresh- is dusted with herbs and then heated on the grill, infusing it with a oregano/thyme aroma. Unlike many restaurants whose idea of tzatziki sauce is sour cream with diced onions, Gateway's tzatziki is loaded with herbs and, in a unique touch, julienned cucumber. The result is a savory, flavorful compliment to your sandwich that's served so piping hot you can hardly hold it at first. Of course the tomatoes are fresh, and the onion pungent.

The amazing thing is they pull off this gustatory feat for a little over $7. Add a drink and a side salad (crisp romaine, wonderfully balanced herbed vinaigrette and more of those fresh tomatoes) and the total before tip is a tick over $9.

Speaking of tip, this family-owned restaurant has one server (can't remember her name) who never writes anything down and still gets your order perfect. She's cheerful, professional and very Greek. I'm sure you'll want to leave her a little something extra.

Gateway is a little short on atmosphere- concrete floor, plastic table cloth- and is not a place you'd bring a client to impress. Rather, bring a friend and enjoy some of the best Greek food this side of the Aegean.

And if you're heading up I-85, skip all the chains at Concord Mills and check out this little gem off the George Lisle exit.

Reviewed 4 October 2013 via mobile

My husband & I had lunch here today & if was wonderful. Our server answered our questions & was very friendly. I had the spanikopita ( spinach pie) it was very flavorful. My husband had the Greek rice bowl and loved it. The meat melted in my mouth when I tasted it. The homemade Greek chips were very yummy too. As we were leaving we each had a homemade truffle - raspberry & pistachio. They were heavenly. If you are in the Afton village area definitely give it a try

Reviewed 17 January 2013

We had a large party to come in… It practically took the restaurant in its entirety. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. All in all we had a great time…the food was very good & the service was great.

Reviewed 9 October 2011

After reading the reviews we were really looking forward to eating here. Our meals were terrible! The lamb gyros were tasteless pressed mystery meat. The greek salad was also tasteless and disappointing. The service was good and the place was very clean. Diner atmosphere and prices.

1  Thank JetBlueDriver