“Very Relaxing with beautiful views!!!”
other travellers have booked this property

Review of Smooth Sailing

Horses
View from the Kitchen
Location to Turn off the Beach
Livingroom
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
485debbie
Rochester, New York
“Very Relaxing with beautiful views!!!”
Reviewed 20 May 2016 for a stay in May 2016
people found this review helpful

Loved our stay at Smooth sailing, it was so beautiful and relaxing. Watching the horses on the beach was amazing!!. The only caution I would give someone that wants to rent, is that there is many stairs you need to go up and down so you have problems doing stairs, this probably wouldn't be the best place to stay.

Donna P
Charleston, South Carolina, United States
“Delightful Retreat”
Reviewed 27 January 2016 for a stay in September 2015

This was the most peaceful and relaxing vacation I’ve ever had at the beach. I fell in love with the whole place instantly. The house is charming, comfortable and so thoughtfully equipped. I found everything I needed, including a great selection of books. If you’re a music lover, be sure to bring some cd’s instead of just an ipod or phone. There’s a cd player with speakers attached to the upper corners of the walls in the living and dining area. It was so pleasant to have music fill the house (without being too loud) while I was cooking and dining. The house was immaculate, which was a nice surprise. I have stayed in many beach cottages in various places and not a single one has been all that clean when I arrived. There are always traces of sand, animal hair and dust. But this place was spotless! I’m puzzled by another reviewer who said the house was old and weathered. It’s true the outside steps are weathered, but the house itself is in excellent condition. My only disappointment was the water. Showering was not very pleasant due to the smell of sulfur. But, the gigantic jetted tub was amazing. The water was very brown when the tub was filled, but the smell was not quite as noticeable as it was in the shower. Just think of it as a therapeutic mineral bath. I spent a lot of time in the hammock reading or just enjoying the perfect weather, the faint sounds of the ocean waves and chirping crickets, and the occasional visit from rabbits and horses. There is no noise at all here – no traffic, no construction, no loud garbage trucks in the early morning. My entire stay was a delightful retreat. I had no problems, and no need to contact Angi until the very last minute. I had a problem with the lock box, but when I sent Angi a text, she responded immediately. I live just 12 miles from a popular beach, but I look forward to making another 8 hour drive to go back to Smooth Sailing.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The house has great views.
Liked least: Showering, the water has a strong smell of sulfur.
Travelling group: Solo
Your age range 50-64
28 Jan 2016
Thanks for letting me know how your stay was. I am still working on improving the water. I've began the process of installing a rain water harvesting system. Some owners along the beach are using cisterns and their water is crystal clear. An oxygenator and uv purification should make the water much improved.
RatherBGr...
Clayton, North Carolina
“Make sure you get hurricane inusrance!!”
Reviewed 4 October 2015 for a stay in July 2014
people found this review helpful

This house was in a fine location. Walking to the beach CAN be kind of difficult with small kids and your belongings or if you have any mobility issues because of the dunes. But totally worth it when you see the horses! They are always out. The house has everything you will need. But if you book this place during hurricane season make sure you get hurricane insurance. Dealing directly with the owner and not a rental agency can be kind of tricky. The owner never even suggested the insurance and said she would work with us in a hurricane situation because refunds are not given. But lo and behold, we were in the house when Tropical Storm Arthur was headed towards us during the July 4th week in 2014. I expressed my concerns being on a beach with children with no paved roads and told the owner that we would be leaving 3 days early. She said even during a tropical storm, the area is prone to flooding and rather be safe than sorry. I'm glad we left, because the tropical storm had turned into a Hurricane Arthur by the time it hit OBX. The owner said she would put it in her books that we would have 3 days for a future trip either during the 2014 or 2015 season, I contacted her this year around May or June to see if we could use those 3 days and she said she was booked but had openings in September. So I gave her dates for the 3 days. As those dates approached she informed me they were not available. I expressed how disappointed I was and she stated that in order to get those three 'make-up' days I would have to book a full week. This was never part of our email correspondence. I had no intention of spending that kind of money to return to this place. I just wanted what I had paid for and thought that the owner would accommodate what she had promised. I was wrong. And for that reason alone I would never return to this house. I will come back to Corolla but I will go through a rental agency instead and buy the hurricane insurance. Good Luck!

Bathroom cleanliness Service
Liked best: The horses
Liked least: Being lied to
Travelling group: Young Children
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
8 Oct 2015
Unlike an agency I have some flexibility since I manage my home. Vacationing on the ocean is dramatic and conditons on the 4 wheel drive beach will make your vacation an adventure. I truly want your stay to be enjoyable and I will do what I can to make that happen. I've let guests arrive early to avoid the long traffic delays and high tide. No guest has ever had to wait long for delivery of bottled water or for repairs. Just let me know what you need. If I say I will do something you can be certain I am committed to doing it. In past years I have rescheduled guests and given discounts, not only for weather but also for illness, death in the family, custody problems and deployment. Under certain circumstances I've kept the offer of replacement dates open for several seasons. I will make a reasonable effort to ensure you have similar days to the lost ones. I will however have the sole right to select the make-up dates. The rental policy regarding booking partial weeks applies also to make up days. Partial holiday weeks can only be reserved 14 days in advance and all other partial weeks can be reserve 30 days in advance. There is limited availability in the summer season. Weeks book quickly. If you want 3 days on a weekend in August for example, it will be difficult but it's not impossible. The spring and fall months have more availability although dates in September and October are still usually booked. Days are often sunny and warm. Guests have told me they still had a nice time despite bad weather and that the house is wonderful. It has everything you need, is warm and cozy. I often have requests for partial weeks and may be able to juggle schedules. I will also need to be able to get unscheduled cleaning service and be reimbursed for fees. You have the options 1) to accept a full week, Saturday to Saturday and pay any additional money for days that are not make-up days and reserve in advance. 2) to accept a partial week which can only be reserved 2 weeks in advance during high season and 30 days in advance during off peak season. 3) or reject both options and forfeit the rents and fees paid. The Rental Agreement is found on Flipkey in it's entirety and is clear with regards to travel insurance and liability. The choice between these alternatives will be your sole remedy for any and all inconveniences arising out of events beyond my control which may interfere with your scheduled occupancy.
shawdowsp...
Jacksonville, Florida
“Great Location”
Reviewed 17 August 2015 for a stay in July 2014
people found this review helpful

The house was just ok. It was older and weathered. Upon arrival the floors had sand on them. I know its the beach, but I would like to check into a clean home. The beds weren't very comfortable and the bathrooms weren't very clean. The washer and dryer wasn't working right and even if it did, I wouldn't do my laundry in it because of the sulfer smell in the water. With that being said, where the house was lacking, the location is awesome!! As long as you are not the nervous type. House is located in the 4x4 section of Corolla, there are no paved roads and you must drive on he beach. Even with a 4x4 and letting the air out of the tires, some parts of the beach can be challenging. A little nerve wracking when you have small children with you. But the best part is seeing the wild horses just walking along the beach. You never know when they will show up. Some times they would be right outside the house and we could watch them while drinking our coffee. I would probably never rent another house there because I felt it just wasn't very convenient. But I would recommend visiting the area on a day trip and staying somewhere else. But if I were to stay on he 4x4 beach again, I would probably pay a little more and stay in a more up to date, modern home.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Waking up to the horses
Liked least: The age and condition of the house
Travelling group: Young Children
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
20 Aug 2015
The review is from a guest who stayed in July 2014 prior to Tropical Storm Arthur and who decided to leave early due to the weather. Most of the review is out of context or no longer relavent. The washer has been replaced and the water treatment system upgraded. I do want to address any concern someone would have about being on the 4x4 beach. The paved road is a short 5 minute drive from the house. I monitor the expected path of any tropical depression very carefully. Even a weak Nor'easter brushing the Outer Banks 150 miles out at sea if it stays out there can cause some storm surf, above average tides, wind and rain. The ground around the house could get a few puddles. For the most you can pass around these pools. There are some significant dunes between you and the ocean especially on the northeast side where the wind typically comes from. The house is third row. It is build above code and it can take the wind. If a storm becomes a hurricane and it's forecasted path comes closer you may have to get out of there. Local officials monitor the potential hazards and will make a decision about whether to evacuate or not. Stay tuned to TV and NOAA weather radio. Contact Dare County at 252-475-5655 or www.co.dare.nc.us and Currituck County at 252-232-2115 or www.co.currituck.nc.us for the most current info. Here are some preparations you would want to make. Charge cell phones, buy extra batteries or a car charger. Gas up your vehicle. Ideally you would want to minimize the distance to reach safety. The area around Duck has been known to flood. Map your route ahead of time. And observe the tides for ideal low tide conditions. The nearest evacuation destination is the bridge on N Croatan Hwy/ US 158 W. The Evacuation Route is clearly marked. If ordered to evacuate.. do it immediately... expect congestion on HWY 12. Your safety is my main concern. Call or text me or Ken if you have any questions. 919-770-5529 919-602-5184.
NO REBATE OR REFUND will be offered for circumstances including but not limited to Acts of God, acts of governmental agencies, fire, strikes, terrorism, war, inclement weather, including flooding and construction noise from nearby sites. You may elect to purchase Travel Insurance. Your decision with respect to the purchase of Travel Insurance is solely your own responsibility. All questions concerning coverage or claims should be directed to your Travel Insurance Agent. You will not be eligible for reimbursement if you do not purchase travel insurance prior to taking possession of the Premises. Additionally, insurance must be purchased prior to a storm being named to have coverage for hurricane-related issues, such as a mandatory evacuation. You will receive a full refund of any payment only if the premises is re-rented. If you choose to leave early or cancel last minute and the house re-rents at a reduced rate you will receive a partial refund. I have some flexibility since I manage my home. I understand things happen. I do my best to re-rent and in some cases I have made up lost dates. In past years I have rescheduled guests and given discounts, not only for weather but also for illness, death in the family, custody problems and deployment. Under certain circumstances I've kept the offer of replacement dates open for several seasons. I will make a reasonable effort to ensure you have similar days to the lost ones. I will have the sole right to select the make-up dates. There is limited availability in the summer season. I you want 3 days on the weekend in August for example, it will be difficult but it's not impossible. I often have requests for partial weeks and may be able to juggle schedules. I will also need to be able to get unscheduled cleaning service and be reimbursed for fees. You have the options 1) to accept a full week, Saturday to Saturday and pay any additional money for days that are not make-up days and reserve in advance. 2) to accept a partial week which can only be reserved 2 weeks in advance during high season and 30 days in advance during off peak season. 3) or reject both options and forfeit the rents and fees paid. The Rental Agreement is clear with regards to liability. The choice between these alternatives will be your sole remedy for any and all inconveniences arising out of events beyond my control which may interfere with your scheduled occupancy.
Export, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 17 June 2015 for a stay in May 2015
person found this review helpful

Liked best: privacy
Liked least: driving on 4x4 beach
Mark W
Sanford, North Carolina
“First Vacation on 4 x 4 beach”
Reviewed 16 June 2015 for a stay in June 2015
person found this review helpful

We did not really know what to expect, but had a great experience. Driving on the beach was fun and exciting. It was kind of a pain adjusting tire pressure, but that was minor.
The house was nice and the views and seclusion were spectacular. We saw horses everyday along with deer, rabbits and quail.
Close neighbors on one side were a little loud each night, but did not hamper our enjoyment of the house/location.
The shower in the master bath is quite small, but there is a large garden tub.
The bedrooms are on the first level with the kitchen/living room on the top level; lots of stairs.
The chairs and beach toys provided were great; a big plus.
Great place for our dog; enjoyed the gate on the deck to keep him safe.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The location and beautiful views
Liked least: The sulfur smell with the water, but drinking water was plentifully supplied.
lmt18
Lake Placid, New York
“Great location!”
Reviewed 17 August 2014 for a stay in April 2014
people found this review helpful

We had a great time at this beach house. The weather was very cold, but the house had plenty to entertain young children! The only problem with this area is the outer beach if you are traveling with young children .Cars speed up and down the beach all day long. There is a private beach down the road, but it is not within walking distance.

Your age range 35-49
Friends getaway Large groups
21 Sep 2014
The beach road and ebb and flow of the tide is part of Outer Banks living, whether one is here for a week or for a lifetime! Those living or vacationing in the 4x4 beaches of Corolla are perhaps the most tide-dependent on the Outer Banks. For them the sand is the thoroughfare. People drive on the beach in 2 places. High up at the dune line or at the tide line where the sand is wet and packed down. The middle of the beach is for vacationers to park or put up beach chairs and canopies. The speed limit is 15 mph where there are people and it’s strictly enforced by police patrols. Most people are considerate and drive below the speed limit and stop for pedestrians. There are upwards of 500 people a day coming and going on the 4 wheel drive beach. It is the top attraction for beach goers, guests, and sightseeing tours and makes up a huge part of the area business. The location of my house is advertised as being private and most people prefer it for both it's natural beauty and proximity to the town of Corolla and amenities. There are some significant dunes between you and the ocean especially on the northeast side where the wind comes from and you don’t see any traffic. The house is third row. You have wonderful views and will have the horses visit often. Actually when you get there you sometimes have a couple waiting for you in the driveway! The kids love it. The beach and the water are great. I'll sometimes take the Jeep and park with everyone on the beach. I can take chairs, boogie boards, the canopy tent and snacks and sit and relax for a while. You always find someone to socialize. My grandkids go out into the surf wearing life jackets & use floatation devices like boogie boards and inner tubes. There are no lifeguards on the 4 wheel drive beach. If you're unsure it's probably best to stay in the shallow surf or tide pools. There's volleyball, kites and sea shells. The horses roam free only on the 4 Wheel Drive Beach between the end of the road in Corolla and the Virginia border. They walk the beach and even swim occasionally. There's also a new bike trail and you can ride for miles between the towns or to the waterfront at the Whalehead Club (Lighthouse).There are 2 parks with nature trails with platforms overlooking marshes open to the public. There are a lot of activities to choose from in Duck and Kitty Hawk like kayaking, parasailing and surfing lessons. There's a children's museum and some great shops.
There are sand trails behind the dunes where the houses are. These are used by some residents and the wild horse tours. Like most area residents I'm very protective of the ecology. Aside from being able to walk to the beach in 1 minute I'm happy to be part of the Seagull and Swan Beach community of the 4 Wheel Drive Beach with it's several hundred houses. We have great police and fire protection services. If there are people violating the speed limit you should tell the local police. Officers on atvs who patrol the beach will give out tickets if they catch anyone speeding.
There are no problem times. I rent all year. On Memorial Day the season starts in full swing. The water is not super warm yet in June but if the currents are right you can swim. The fresh produce and seafood markets open. There’s a jazz festival. It is quite busy Saturdays and Sundays and it gets extremely busy from June to August, so if you want solitude just avoid those months. If you wait until the fall the traffic on the beach has reduced.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing