“Very patient, encouraging instructor!”
Review of Corolla Surf Shop

Corolla Surf Shop
More attraction details
Owner description: Corolla Surf Shop and the Corolla Surf School have been teaching surfing since 1996. Just read the New York Times Travel Section Review for Corolla Surf School: August 8th, 2010. You can go on-line or call 252 453 9283. Plus after your lesson, you can rent boards & wetsuits.
Fairfield, Pennsylvania
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 76 helpful votes
“Very patient, encouraging instructor!”
Reviewed 31 March 2014

My husband and I (42 yrs old) booked a private lesson with an instructor, who turned out to be the owner. We checked in at the surf shop and they gave us directions to the beach entrance down the road. We met our instructor on the beach where he taught us proper safety measures, paddle technique, "popping up" and how to dismount safely as well. There was a professional photographer in the water with us as well, and I was so happy about that. We both had a great time and were able to get up on the boards during our lesson. I got the photographers contact info and subsequently purchased 3-4 jpg photos that I was able to edit any way I liked. This was a very nice option, as i like to do some creative editing. As someone who is always behind the camera, this was especially meaningful to me, having someone taking "good" pictures of both of us having a good time. I highly recommend a private lesson if you want individualized attention, strong encouragement, and leave wanting to learn more. You will be sore the next day, but, boy, is it a satisfying, good feeling of sore! Take a chance and just do it. You know it's been on your bucket list and you're not getting younger, ya know?!

Visited September 2013

Columbus
“Corolla Surf School Lessons”
Reviewed 14 November 2013

My mom and I were in OBX for a week for a wedding and decided to try a surfing lesson. I ended up coming back for 2 more lessons while I was there. My mom was a little jealous after my second lesson and decided we should come back again! Our instructors ( Brickhouse, Andy, & Phil) were awesome! Not only were they knowledgeable, their priority was definitely our safety, and making sure we had fun. They definitely geared our lessons to our abilities and gave great feedback at each lesson. October was a great time of the year to take lessons, we were warm and comfy in our wetsuits. We will definitely be back to OBX and Corolla Surf School.

Visited October 2013
Roseville, California
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Perfect!”
Reviewed 17 October 2013

The best. Make sure you are flexible, weather can be unpredictable. But when you go, these folks are great. Kids had the time of their life, and they have a photographer that goes out and gets great shots (worth buying from his site). Do it!

Bethesda, Maryland
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great family surf lessons”
Reviewed 15 October 2013

We booked a lesson for our family and had a fantastic experience. We all (ages 9 - 49) made it up on our boards at first go. The instructors were knowledgable and adapted the lessons to our abilities. Highly recommend this as a top activity while your in OBX.

North Wales, Pennsylvania, United States
“Everyone was under 10 years old”
Reviewed 27 September 2013

It just sucked all they did was tell you where to stand on the board, then they push you into the 1ft tall whitewater not even the real wave "for liability reasons". And on top of that everyone there was under 10 and we had to take turns being taught with like 8 other kids in just 1 group. So in the end I wasted 3 hrs of my vacation and did not further my surfing skills. I am 18 years old I was humiliated. The only was I see these lessons being good is if the student is under 10.

Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Corolla Surf S, Manager at Corolla Surf Shop, responded to this review, 16 October 2013
We're very sorry that you had a less-than-ideal experience taking one of our lessons. We take pride in our lesson program and have worked for nearly fifteen years to improve it, so hearing that we have an unhappy student makes us very unstoked, to say the least. We get incredibly positive feedback from our lesson students, both kids and adults, so we are disappointed that you don't feel as stoked as the rest of our customers.

From the way you describe the lesson in your review, you were signed up for the introductory group lesson. That is a group lesson meant for people with little to no surfing experience. It sounds like you would have been better suited for a private lesson where you can work one-on-one with your own instructor. Contact us the next time you are in town and we'll give you a complementary one!

Also, with group lessons, we have a strict one-to-five instructor-to-student ratio, so for your group of eight or nine, there would have been two instructors out there, so I'm confused as to how you had to wait your turn with all eight. And we have an age-minumum that students must be nine years-old or older, to prevent adult students like yourself from getting inhibited by smaller surfers.

From your lesson review, it also sounds like the surf conditions were bigger or rougher than usual for that time of year. We put safety first, always, in our lessons, so I'm sure the instructors chose to teach the lesson in the safe, whitewater conditions versus risk students taking bad wipeouts on the outside sandbar. The reason we do that is because we have, over the decade and a half of teaching lessons, seen how injuries happen, so we constantly tweak our curriculum to prevent as many injuries as possible. We would much rather play it safe then risk having someone - child or adult - hit the sandbar head-first and be seriously injured. If surfers want to take that risk on their own, that is their choice to make. But as surf instructors in charge of other human beings, we cannot take that risk; nor can we as a business.

We are very very sorry to hear that your lesson experience didn't meet your expectations, but thank you for giving us feedback so we can continue to improve our lesson program. Again, please contact us the next time you're in Corolla, and mention this conversation, and we'll make it right and take you out on your own private lesson.