“Corolla Surf Instructor Dave was Awesome”
Review of Corolla Surf Shop

Corolla Surf Shop
More attraction details
Owner description: Corolla Surf Shop and the Corolla Surf School have been teaching surfing since 1996. Just read the New York Times Travel Section Review for Corolla Surf School: August 8th, 2010. You can go on-line or call 252 453 9283. Plus after your lesson, you can rent boards & wetsuits.
Reviewed 29 July 2014

On our most recent trip to OBX, we scheduled surf lessons for our 3 girls. Dave was fantastic, especially with the youngest, 8. He successfully managed to maintain safety first and yet allowed them all to have equal time catching the waves. For the older two, he even made sure that they enjoyed numerous party waves. Thanks Dave.

2  Thank MLODonnell
CorollaSurfShop, Manager at Corolla Surf Shop, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2014

Thanks so much for your review! We think Dave is great too! We are glad to hear that you are happy with the lesson and that Dave made sure to put safety first and still make it lots of fun for the kids. Thanks for taking the time to write the review. We hope to see you next year!

All reviews
"dave"
in 4 reviews
"session"

Reviewed 22 July 2014

My family did the surfing lesson in April. This was my 16 yr old and 14 yr olds idea. They had a fantastic time...even though some of them were skeptical (the 40+ year olds). They loved it and can't wait to do it again. The staff at Corolla Surf Shop was very helpful and accommodating.

1  Thank Holly R

Thanks for your review! We're glad the crew had a great time. We look forward to seeing you next year. Thanks again for taking the time to share your experience.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

I booked a semi private Paddleboarding lesson for myself (age 50) and my two daughters ages 17 and 14 about ten days before our beach vacation. Before booking online, I called the shop to have a couple questions answered, they were extremely helpful and I booked online later that day. I quickly received a personal email from Andy verifying the booking and he let me know that I would receive a phone call a few days prior to our arrival to set up a time. I received the call as promised the Friday before we arrived. We tentatively scheduled a Tuesday lesson for 3 p.m.. I was assured that if weather posed a problem we would have an opportunity to re-book, but we didn't have to. Tuesday was beautiful, but the water on the sound was a bit rough, so we opted to spend the entire lesson on a pond that had access to the sound. Andy was professional and "cool". He explained all the safety and had us practice standing on dry land before putting us in the water. We were afraid we might fall in but he assured us, we wouldn't and we didn't! Lesson was great. Once we were comfortable, he went around to each of us on the water and gave us pointers and encouragement. We liked it so much we went back and rented Paddleboards from Coastal Explorations and explored the sound Thursday. The lesson was great or should I say "cool" and worth every penny. Paddleboarding was one of the highlights of our trip to the Outer Banks!

1  Thank judy m

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your experience! We're stoked you enjoyed your paddleboard lesson. Andy is definitely "cool" and a great instructor. He's been with us for many many years and we are proud to have him as part of our crew. We're also glad to hear that the shop staff was courteous and helpful during the booking process. We hope to see you and the crew again. Keep us posted on your SUP endeavors! We're on facebook as Corolla Surf Shop and we also have a page for Corolla Surf School. Thanks again!

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Corolla is a great place to learn to surf and Corolla Surf Shop is the place to do it. We were back for the second time in as many years- my son, 8, who had surfed twice before, my aunt, and my step mother in law. We arranged for two semi private lessons with Dave. I highly recommend going this route- more personalized attention was a big plus. My 8 year old loves surfing but was a little nervous on the second day due to the conditions. Dave was so skilled in building his confidence and encouraging him. Going twice during our week really helped our group to become more skilled. Dave was excellent at meeting the needs of our group, the members of which each of whom had very different instructional needs.

The lessons meet at the public beach access in Corolla near the lighthouse. There is a great photographer on site during busy mornings who gets in the ocean and photographs the surfers. After your trip you can purchase your photos. Takes the pressure to photograph off the spectators!

We will be back next year!

1  Thank lovesmaryland

Thanks so much for taking time to share your experience. We are thrilled that you enjoyed the first lesson and came back for another! That is the highest compliment you could pay us, thank you. We're glad you liked Dave, we think he's great too! We look forward to seeing everyone next year!