“Unassuming Location Yields Great Food” 5 of 5 bubbles

Urban Kitchen
Ranked #8 of 81 Restaurants in Corolla
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Johnstown, Pennsylvania
“Unassuming Location Yields Great Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

We absolutely loved it! We were a bit worried when we (acting on a tip from a local) pulled into a strip mall, per se. However, upon entering, we were pleasantly surprised. When the appetizers came, we were hooked! The Halloumi cheese was awesome, and so were the fried green tomatoes. The entrees were equally delicious, especially the shrimp and the chicken. We will be back next year!

• Visited June 2014
3 Thank SHB0126

OBX, NC
“Perfect!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

My husband and I had a little time to kill before an event at The Currituck Club and stopped in Urban Kitchen for dinner. Our meal was wonderful, we sat at the bar and we were assisted by one of the owners. We started with Fried Green tomatoes, which were perfect, and calamari. I had the fish, which was halibut and my husband had the swordfish - both exceeded our expectations - which were already pretty high, considering all the good things we'd heard. Keep in mind that the spot is tiny, and they really can't sit large groups - given the size of the kitchen. I'm already planning my next trip there!

3 Thank ROA2OBX
Richmond, Virginia
“Lovely place for dinner”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

Excellent restaurant -- hip, casual, clean, fresh, local. Talented chef, strong waitstaff, very large portions. Well-prepared dishes. Tightly focused menu -- we had the fried green tomatoes as an app, the pork, and steak (both perfectly prepared). Read one review that said the portions were small and people left hungry and I think they must eat 20,000 calories a day because this place serves up very large, generous portions that are nearly impossible to finish. My husband and I both wound up leaving with half our meals boxed up for lunch. The only thing I didn't like was the no substitutions policy for sides. That feels like a dated and arrogant policy. While I absolutely respect the chef's creativity, I don't feel like french fries are so original or special that I shouldn't be able to substitute with something not fried. The customer still should come first.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Freimie
Central Virginia
“A nice gem”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

If you are looking for a refreshing pre-dinner cocktail you can't go wrong with the hand shaken daiquiris. Super tasty. For appetizers my husband had the pork shanks and they were delicious, the blue cheese slaw an excellent complement. I had the soup which was chilled creamy Vidalia onion. It was ambrosia. We split the watermelon salad and both enjoyed it very much. It was plenty of salad for two people. I ordered the fish which that night was Mahi. Cooked perfectly and the sides went very well with the dish. My husband ordered the steak and, while it was quite good, he wished he had ordered the fish instead. He was disappointed he had broken his personal rule of while at the beach, get fish or seafood. Again, he didn't dislike the steak, he just thought the fish was better. Service was attentive and friendly and the food came out at a good pace, plenty of time to enjoy the course but not fretting that it is taking too long. Also wanted to mention, we arrived right at 5:00 on a Tuesday evening and by 5:20ish there were only a couple of two tops left available. Would definitely go back when at OBX.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank gnlonthego
Baltimore, MD
“Perfect Dinner!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

We really enjoyed Urban Kitchen! Everything cooked perfectly, well seasoned, fresh ingredients. Interesting combinations made us anxious to try many menu items.

Will definitely go the next time we stay in the Northern OBX.