“Ask for Colin!”

Corolla Wild Horse Fund, Inc. Tours
Ranked #5 of 22 Tours in Corolla
More attraction details
Owner description: We are the non-profit organization that manages the herd of wild Colonial Spanish Mustangs on the northern beaches of Currituck County. Our mission is: To protect, conserve, and responsibly manage the herd of wild Colonial Spanish Mustangs roaming freely on the northernmost Currituck Outer Banks, and to promote the continued preservation of this land as a permanent sanctuary for horses designated as the State Horse and defined as a cultural treasure by the state of North Carolina. Take a "Trip of a Lifetime" to see the horses with those that care for them, all proceeds directly benefit our treasured wild mustangs!
Reviewed 13 June 2014

We took this tour with Colin, and he was an absolutely wonderful tour guide and driver. We saw about 25 different horses because he knew just where to look for them. He was very knowledgable about the area, the houses, the residents, and the horses. We recommend that you ask for Colin to be your tour guide. We had an air conditioned Chevy Suburban, much more comfortable than the open air jeeps and humvees that other tours were using. And best of all, this group helps the horses.

3  Thank CTTraveler250

Reviewed 31 October 2013

We took a private tour with the herd manager. Just April (herd manager) my sister-in-law and I in an air conditioned Tahoe. Two hours of driving back roads and trails looking for the wild mustangs. April was knowledgable of the area's history, where the horses were that day, the plants and other wildlife in the area. We drove on the beach and caught sight of a small herd crossing in front of us, last years yearlings and this years foal. April (23 years old) drove that Tahoe like a pro, while others around us were getting stuck. I chose this nonprofit organization to learn the real truth of these endangered beauty's. I wanted to make sure my dollars went to preserve and care for the horses, not to the uneducated, loud touring companies out to make a buck. It was a learning experience and everything I hoped it would be. BEAUTIFUL! Thanks April.

2  Thank FunfromMI
Reviewed 29 October 2013

I don’t just highly recommend the Corolla Wild Horse Fund's tour - I'm asking you to please choose to go with them if you want to see the horses. It’s a win-win: a knowledgeable guide takes you out to see the horses up close while the fee you pay supports the organization. It's a nonprofit that exists “to protect, conserve, and responsibly manage the herd of wild Colonial Spanish Mustangs.” Our guide told us there are ten commercial tour operators who make money on horse tours and only one contributes anything to the Corolla Wild Horse Fund. Pretty shameful if that's accurate. The CWHF’s price was also slightly lower than the best one offered by the commercial operators.

We went on a Friday morning and our tour was scheduled for 11am. A nice bonus is that Currituck Lighthouse is only a couple of blocks away. We arrived early enough to climb it before going over to the Corolla Wild Horse Fund facility.

It happened to be one of CWHF's “Meet a Mustang” days (check their calendar) so we got to see Felix, a youngster who had to be removed from the wild herd to receive veterinary treatment. (Once removed, a horse usually cannot be returned to the herd for reasons explained on CWHF’s website and by the guides.) There’s a gift shop in the building along with information and a large map of the equine sanctuary. Parking is free and there’s plenty.

We left on time and were out almost exactly two hours. Six of us plus the tour guide traveled in a Suburban-type SUV and even the one person who had a middle seat had a great view. The guides can stop in designated areas if horses are around and CWHF can also access places the commercial tours can't. We were able to get out and get superb pics of the nearby horses. We saw between 15 and 20 mustangs in about 3 or 4 distinct groups (harems) and also found a solitary stallion without a harem.

The CWHF tour allows visitors to see the horses, help the horses, have fun, and save money too. Doesn’t get any better than that!

2  Thank skyaa1
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Since this group is nonprofit, we expected the vehicle used for the tour to be no-frills, but it ended up to be downright dangerous. And the guides are more suited to be wildlife preserve employees than tourism workers, so their level of enthusiasm and communication skills is on a different par. We understood that the money would go to help the horses so we were OK with less comfort and entertainment, but it did go too far....

As we rode along the beach, the kids started to complain of headaches and then they both fell asleep! I thought that was unusual since they are older kids (12 and 17) and they had plenty of rest. Then I noticed they were bright red so I figured they were burning up since there was no A/C in the old junker and they were in the back seat with windows that didn't open, or they picked up a virus and suddenly developed fevers--but simultaneously?

Soon my husband in the middle seat with me got a headache. I was at the open window and felt fine. When we got back to the office my kids ran to the bathroom and washed their faces and then they felt OK, but my husband said he was dizzy and could barely stand up. He went off behind a bush and vomited. All the way back to the hotel he was still very ill with the headache and vomited more. He couldn't go to dinner that night; he stayed in the room with a cold cloth and eventually recovered by morning.

Any auto mechanics out there figure this one out? The three of them probably were affected by carbon monoxide fumes leaking into the body of the old truck. Remember I said the kids in the back were bright red? "Cherry red" is how you describe the color of skin affected by CO poisoning. Well the children are young and healthy so they got through it OK, but it affected my husband with hypertension much worse.

We didn't figure any of this out ourselves. When we got back home a coworker knew exactly what had happened and said we were lucky the kids didn't pass out or die.

Sorry, I say go with the profit-mongers instead, have a good time, and live to tell about it!

3  Thank catdogdoc
Reviewed 5 October 2013

Of the many tour operators in the Corolla area, this group actually takes care of the horses. Shunned by the USFWS as an invasive species but a major tourist attraction, these long time inhabitants of the Outer Banks are seriously threatened with extinction. This nonprofit uses its revenue to care for and protect these animals. The knowledge of the organization's staff is sought when other tour operators don't know what they are seeing. And that staff knows where the horses are and can even identify them by their tracking codes. A very informative trip.

3  Thank DrJim43