“Fantastic inn and hosts!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cullowhee
The River Lodge Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 2 Cullowhee B&B and Inns
Clayton, North Carolina
“Fantastic inn and hosts!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013

I was fortunate to be one of the first guests when Cathy and Tony opened their inn, and swore I'd be back! And I was, two more time, including a birthday getaway with my then fiance, then as a honeymoon retreat when we were married five years ago. It's so beautiful, and so peaceful, and I highly recommend the Hideaway Suite. The innkeepers are like friends, and so accommodating, interesting, and helpful (such a nice setup for our honeymoon!), with a lot of interesting stories about the inn and themselves. The surrounding towns are laid back, with great restaurants, and an old home town feel. Just writing about it makes me want to go back again soon!

Room Tip: Check the website, there are pics of the rooms, and the rates vary by season.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tobe H
NorthCarolinaLodger, Owner at The River Lodge Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 18 October 2013
So, what are you waiting for! We have been honored with so many wonderful guests like yourselves that have been coming back to our inn for just as long as we are in business.
We just celebrated our 18th. year and still welcoming wonderful people like you. Thank you!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Hoover, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2013

Recently we stayed for 3 nights at the River Lodge in Cullowhee. The surroundings are beautiful and there are plenty of windows for light in the lodge. The porch at the lodge along with the balcony off the room we had gave us a lot of opportunity to enjoy everything. Cathy and Anthony are wonderful innkeepers. They were very helpful with directions and available as needed to help us make the most of our time there. The breakfast was outstanding and timed just right to sit and enjoy it without it taking too much time of your day. I highly recommend this B&B.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
NorthCarolinaLodger, Owner at The River Lodge Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 26 July 2013
Thanks so much for choosing The River Lodge as your accommodations destination.
We truly enjoyed your company and our hopes are of having you back with us again.
Your balcony room is waiting.
Canton, GA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2013

I could only possibly repeat all of the wonderful comments reviewed prior to this, as those folks have really said it all. The River Lodge is absolutely a fabulous retreat, tucked away right on the Tuckaseegee River just slightly outside of town (Sylva/Cullowhee). From the minute you pull into the driveway, you can tell this is a special place. Very rustic lodge look and feel, and coming in through that big front door, it's really just like coming home. Cathy and Anthony are your new best friends from the second you meet them. They are both so accommodating, friendly and genuine. Again, it's just like coming home. Anthony and I talked for hours after I got "home" from dinner out my first night...so easy to talk to. Breakfasts (I had 2 over a weekend) were outstanding and filling...oh Anthony, those Pecan Pancakes!!! Yummo!! I made this stay on my own, as my wife at a school conference, so it was just a single, but I felt right at home with the other couples staying at Lodge. I did get some fishing in... Next time, my wife and I will give it a try, and I know she will literally want to move in once she sees the B&B and meets its fabulous owners...these folks are a "gem", and it's so hard to find people like this any more. They are "from the heart"!!! Thanks Cathy & Anthony...you made my stay so memorable and fun!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Jack E
NorthCarolinaLodger, Owner at The River Lodge Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 17 July 2013
WOW! Thank you so much for the wonderful review, we are happy to have had the pleasure
of accommodating you and we plan on continuing to offer an enjoyable experience to all our
guests. We look forward to your return visit.
Atlanta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2013 via mobile

The River Lodge was perfectly located for attending a wedding at Castle Ladyhawke. The views are beautiful and the peaceful setting made for a great night's sleep. Cathy and Anthony are very gracious, unobtrusive hosts - they are there if you need them but leave you to enjoy the property if that's your preference. The breakfast was delicious. If you have reason to be in the area, this is a very good choice for where to stay.

Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank CG_ATL
NorthCarolinaLodger, Owner at The River Lodge Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 2 May 2013
We're happy that your overnight stay was as pleasant as you say. We try hard!
Thank you. Hope to see you back here again.
Fayetteville, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2013

What a special place! The view, the river, the birds...all within 5 minutes of Western Carolina University. Like closing the door to all of your cares and worries as soon as you drive in the driveway of this meticulously maintained landscape.
Attention to detail is obviously Kathy and Anthony's strong suit as every inch of this spectacular home is decorated and tended to with perfection.
Delicious breakfast and gracious hosts.
We will be back!

Room Tip: Just tell them what you need. Make your reservations early!
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
NorthCarolinaLodger, Owner at The River Lodge Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 16 April 2013
Wow! Anthony & I want to Thank you for the wonderful comments and are happy that you
and your family enjoyed staying with us. We look forward to your next visit here and our
plans are to make your stay a pleasant and fun time.
Miamisburg, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2012

My husband and I stayed here for our 10th wedding anniversary and would have never stayed anywhere else. It felt just like home to us. Cathy and Anthony were so warm and accommodating! We stayed in the Hideaway Suite and we didn't want to leave...ever! What a wonderful and special place with wonderful and special innkeepers! We will always remember them and hope to go back soon.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
NorthCarolinaLodger, Owner at The River Lodge Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 20 December 2012
Our thanks to you for choosing The River Lodge as your accommodatiions destination to
celebrate your anniversary. We appreciate your comments and that we have made your
stay as good as it can get! Hope to see you for your 11th.
Wake Forest, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2012

My husband and I have found our getaway when visiting our son at Western Carolina for the next 4 years. The River Lodge is a gem tucked away in the Smokey Mountains. The owners, Cathy and Anthony were gracious and warm hosts and treated us like old friends. The lodge is beautifully decorated, comfortable and accommodating. Our room opened to a porch on the balcony where we sat enjoying the serenity of the mountains and watching the hummingbirds flitting and chitting at us for disturbing their dinners. Very relaxing! I'm already looking forward to our next visit.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cullowhee
Comfort Inn
#4 of 6 in Sylva
No photo provided
University Inn
#2 of 2 in Cullowhee

Been to The River Lodge Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!