I have stayed here numerous times over the last 7 years, always for 3-5 days at a time. I just cannot agree with the other reviewers.
The positive: absolutely lovely location on the Tuckesegee river. Watch the ducks, the kayakers and the tubers, or join in the fun in good weather. If you stay, get a river view room, and yes, the charge is high for the quality provided. The hotel is reasonably clean and the front desk is young and southern, making them generally pleasant, but not particularly helpful.
However EVERYTHING in this motel needs to be updated, as far as I can tell, nothing has been done to the place in the 7 years we have been staying there, and it was dated and old 7 years ago.
The furniture is old and chipped, the chairs and couches are very uncomfortable , obviously bought for cheap cost, not comfort, and it is truly ugly, as is the wall paper etc. Our desk chair was so poorly designed that it tipped over 4 times just from sitting in it. (Luckily no one was hurt, but they easily could have been)Then we forbade anyone to sit on it and moved it into a corner. (Note to management, you need to get rid of these chairs. They are a lawsuit waiting to happen, we were just lucky we discovered the defects before our grandchildren were hurt)
The place is clean enough, but the "decor" makes it seem dirtier than it probably was. The odd smell in the hallways didn't help either.
The mattresses are fine, but the bedding is mediocre, somewhat scratcy. Electric plugs are hard to locate, but the wireless does work well. Lighting is only ok, but not really adequate.
The bathroom is a horror, it has no room whatsoever to put anything (the floor?) and is difficult to move in, even for one person. The towels are rough and thin. Closet space and drawer space are minimal and poorly laid out. Even in the large "suite" we had, there is nowhere to stow your luggage. The rooms were not serviced adequately and I finally gave up and just straightened up and made the bed myself. ( there was no sign to hang in the door to request service)
The elevator is ungodly slow and using the stairs requires going down to the very end of the hallway each time.
The pool is ok and seems to be maintained but we had to request towels several times, no one seemed to be caring for those needs.
Breakfast is mediocre at best. I don't think much of motel breakfasts in general, but most of this breakfast was unedible .( Egg patties? really?) Coffee, orange juice and a muffin or biscuit was all we could manage.
The problem is that there are few real alternatives in this area, and I guess the motel figures it doesn't have to provide reasonable quality.
All in all, I was very happy to leave and go to a motel with reasonable updating and amenities snd I sm dreading my next stay in the area.
Sent from my iPad
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A Best Western with a style all its own. Overlook a rambling river from your spacious room or relax on our scenic riverside patio. Enjoy deluxe guest rooms, suites, a heated indoor pool and hot tub, and a hot breakfast bar. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Ebookers, getaroom.com, Cancelon, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Best Western Plus River Escape Inn & Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Plus River Escape Hotel Dillsboro
- Best Western Plus River Escape Inn And Suites
- Best Western Dillsboro
- Dillsboro Best Western