“Lost an old friend”

Jarrett House
Ranked #6 of 11 Restaurants in Dillsboro
Price range: US$7 - US$20
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: The Jarrett House in Western North Carolina was established in 1884 and is one of western North Carolina's oldest operating inns and is located in historic Dillsboro. Our beautiful bed and breakfast inn, boasts Victorian style furnishings in the guest rooms and a newly updated lobby for our guest to enjoy. This spectacular and historical southern inn is open May through November.The Jarrett House is easy walking distance from all of Dillsboro's attractions making this among the finest locations to spend your relaxing vacation.
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Stopped in for dinner on the way to the casino. The shock I had on entering was huge. All of the charm and interest of the old Jarrett House dining experience was swept away by the new owners. The new interior was STARK and sterile. The old Jarrett House was somewhat dowdy but at least was period to the history of the building and to the image of a Victorian inn. The all white blankness of the inappropriate French hostess station was a shock. All the antique furniture in the waiting areas was replaced with a white decor more appropriate for South Florida. The dining room was no better. The new look clashed badly with the retention of the old exposed piping in the ceiling above. If the dining room rework was so extensive, they should have not retained the worst feature of the old room.
I didn't even get to the food because I had come for pan fried mountain trout (with the head on)that I had enjoyed for years. Before I allowed the waitress to do anything more than present me with a menu, I discovered that the whole trout had been replaced with a fillet and the wonderful vegetables had been reduced to a choice of three with biscuits. All for $17.95. The day I will pay
$14.95 t0 $17.95 for a meat and 3 has yet to arrive. I got up and walked out. It was like leaving the funeral of an old friend. I shall never go back.

Incidentally, to those reading the reviews of the Jarrett House, any of the 2013 reviews are of the
old Jarrett House previous to the renovations which were made over the winter. The glowing reviews are based on a Jarrett House experience that sadly has vanished.

5  Thank BaronAkim

Reviewed 7 July 2014

We have eaten here before, so we knew what to expect. Wow, were we disappointed! All the vegetables were bland. Some of them tasted fresh...fresh out of the can, that is. I wouldn't waste my time or money eating here again.

4  Thank Conniesat
Reviewed 5 July 2014

We visited there today not realizing the menu had. changed. No longer family style. Simply a meat and two veggies which takes away the uniqueness of what it was previously. It's had a face lift and looks very nice but I would not recommend the meals. The green beans were terrible when we asked if they had accidentally put vinegar in them we were told they use lemon juice and olive oil. Tasted like vinegar to us!!!!

4  Thank Lynn H
Reviewed 27 June 2014

I love eating here! The staff are very friendly and the chicken is the best! The new owner is definitely doing things right.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

My sister and I took our Mother there for a birthday lunch. Having never been there before I tried to take in all the atmosphere that this place offers. We were seated promptly and given the menu to choose what we desired to eat. In our group Chicken Dumplings and Fried Chicken was consumed. We also had green beans, slaw, pickled beets, and those great biscuits. For dessert we all shared the vinegar pie and strawberry cobbler. Both were very rich and couldn't be eaten by just one person so we shared. The food and service was very good. We met the owners and some of their families Coach was a riot and his wife was very charming and they made us feel right at home. We were treated like royalty. Natalie took time to tell us about the history of the house and then even showed us some old rooms and those that had been updated. We loved hearing the history of everything. We then walked around Dillsboro and visited some of the shops that Natalie had suggested. This whole experience was such a quaint experience and one that we had never done.My mother was so excited because she has been going by the Jarrett House for many years on her trips to Pigeon Forge but never had the opportunity to stop. This was truly a birthday she will never forget. Thanks Jarrett House staff for making us feel so special.
Susan S.