“Reminds Me of Home”

Ranked #8 of 10 Restaurants in Dillsboro
Price range: US$7 - US$20
Cuisines: American
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Jarrett House in Western North Carolina was established in 1884 and is one of western North Carolina's oldest operating inns and is located in historic Dillsboro. Our beautiful bed and breakfast inn, boasts Victorian style furnishings in the guest rooms and a newly updated lobby for our guest to enjoy. This spectacular and historical southern inn is open May through November.The Jarrett House is easy walking distance from all of Dillsboro's attractions making this among the finest locations to spend your relaxing vacation.
Gainesville, GA
“Reminds Me of Home”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

What can be better than visiting an old-fashioned inn and restaurant, set on a quaint street in a charming little village? You can't miss the Jarrett House. It's the two-story, clapboard inn, with rockers on the front porch, right as you turn off the main highway.
The interior was rather plain - could use a decorative touch, but I was quickly seated and my waitress was promptly there, giving me the vegetable specials of the day - squash casserole and tomato casserole. I couldn't decide between the two, so she suggested bringing me a "taste" of the tomato casserole. It was pretty good - stewed tomatoes the old-fashioned way with a bit of sugar, with a biscuit topping.
Fried chicken was hot and freshly fried, coleslaw was perfect for my taste. Tiny biscuits are brought to the table immediately, along with a squeeze bottle of honey.
For those who are conscious of sodium levels, the food is definitely lower sodium. I never use a salt shaker, but I did here. No harm-no foul, though, far better than over-salted food.
The staff is extremely pleasant, prompt, without hovering, and will give helpful suggestions if asked.

Would I stop again? Maybe, but well worth one visit.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank Bantryb
Natalie T, Manager at Jarrett House, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Thank you!!!!! We are so happy you love us!!!! Great food, great service that's what the Jarrett House is all about!

Natalie Thomas
Manager

Charlotte, North Carolina
“chef Ramsey said it best, don't mess with time tested recipes”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

I have eaten at the Jarrett house every time I was in the area for decades. The food was consistently good, you could count on it, however, new management has decided to re write the recipes. The chicken and dumplings had a bunch of herbs in it, which the most you ever do is poultry seasoning, or salt and pepper. The fried chicken would have been good, but it was obviously cooked ahead and served lukewarm. In fact all of the food was just warm. The mashed potatoes tasted very old, the color tells the story, it's not from butter! The beets had sooo many onions in it, it was onion salad with a few beets, and the carrots were cold, and obviously prefab carrots that were dumped out of a bag and boiled. Only the biscuits were good.
Then the handicapped toilet was filthy! They need to go back to the old recipes, and maybe offer some new things, if they feel the need to expand the menu.

2 Thank trekkergirl1701
Natalie T, Manager at Jarrett House, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
We are glad that you have joined us over the years and hope that you will come back. Our food is freshly made and the pictures show that.

I do apologize about the seat in the ladies restroom. We have replaced it several times and are looking into other options. We make sure to clean that piece thoroughly which has probably escalated the way the paint comes off an rust starts to appear.

We appreciate your feedback and hope you will come back to see us!
Waynesville, North Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Southern Comfort”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

On behalf of my family and I, we have enjoyed the wonderful southern cooking, comfortable and friendly environment at the Jarrett House! We come from Florida to visit family and make it a priority to visit every chance we get. We have been visiting for over 30 years and the food is consistently tasty and pleasing to my family. We have already been to the Jarrett House twice just this visit and look forward to our next opportunity. Some of our favorites are the southern fried chicken, mouth watering biscuits and honey, and the perfect coleslaw. way to GO Jarrett House and Thank you!!!

1 Thank Becky M
Natalie T, Manager at Jarrett House, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Thank you!!! We love seeing you and can't say it enough how happy we are that you love us and all the updates!!!

We can't wait to see you again!
“Southern cookin done right!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

I had lunch at the Jarrett House today and was quite impressed! I had heard a rumor that the green beans were awful but I remembered having them there as a kid so I ordered them anyway! They were awesome! Tasted like mammaw's!! I also had fried chicken and mashed potatoes! Everything was delicious! My server was very polite and prompt and my sweet tea never went dry!

Natalie T, Manager at Jarrett House, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Thank you so much for your lovely review! We are happy you loved it and will love it when you come back to see us! Tell all your family and friends!

Thanks, Natalie Thomas
Clarksville, Tennessee
“Southern Food in a Southern Home”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

My husband and I stopped for a couple of nights in Maggie Valley to stay with friends. This was their 37th summer visit to Maggie Valley. We ate out once, and the Jarrett House is where they wanted to take us. It is in a little town practically in Maggie Valley. The restaurant has been around for years and years; the inside was refurbished within the last year.
The menu offers several choices of main dishes for the day with a great selection of vegetables as the side dishes. I believe the choices within our group were fried chicken, vegetable plate, chicken and dumplings, and fish. We chose squash casserole, fresh green beans, macaroni and cheese, cooked apples, etc as sides. The meal is served with homemade dinner biscuits and a drink. We could have chosen from a sandwich or salad section, but the home cooked meals just sounded to good to pass up! The service was excellent, the decor and cleanliness was excellent, prices were very reasonable...but the food was over-the-top good!
We will definitely be back to this wonderful place when we return to this gorgeous mountain area of North Carolina! We did have to make a substitution on one of the vegetables...only reason I gave it a 4 out of 5.

Natalie T, Manager at Jarrett House, responded to this review, 26 July 2014