Sanderling Resort
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Sea Oats Motel(Jarvisburg)
Beach Haven(Kitty Hawk)
View Hotel
Driftin' Sands Motel(Kill Devil Hills)
View Hotel
Sea Ranch Resort(Kill Devil Hills)
1,045 results
All reviewslifesaving stationfire pitthe life saving stationbeach housethe outer banksfamily poolsand barkimball's kitchentranquility poolnorth wingturn down serviceadult poolblue pointchairs and umbrellass'mores kitoff seasonmain building
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 12 February 2012

You have to remember where you are....it's the Outer Banks of NC. That narrow strip of beautiful coastline that is littered with bad chain restaurants, a wide range of housing developments, and constant traffic.

The Sanderling is an oasis of relaxation and pleasure in this area. The staff is wonderful....welcoming and attentive. Truly communicating that they are interested in your comfort and experience. While the buildings have that ocean/salt air weathered look on the outside, inside you will find pleasing accommodations with quality finishing materials and tasteful decor. The rooms are spacious, very clean and up to date. The linens are fresh, the beds very comfortable, the bath well appointed in fixtures and lighting. There is nothing here to complain about. I was here only briefly but could stay a month and be happy.

The property is spread across several building and there are several beach accesses and outside seating areas. You have either sound or ocean view from most rooms. There are balconies with rockers to enjoy a sunset or sunrise. The spa is full service and very clean.

The Left Bank restaurant, although pricey, is a stunning experience. Exquisitely prepared food and attentive and knowledgeable staff.

If you're looking for a restful and rejuvenating retreat in this area of the coast, Sanderling is the place to be.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank dogwoodlady
wendycoulsonmurray, Director of Sales at Sanderling Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2012

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay. We are glad you were able to experience all our amenities and appreciate letting others know your feedback. We look forward to having you back in the near future.

Reviewed 10 February 2012

Beautiful room, fabulous Spa-like bathroom; Spa was great and my spouse could go with me and relax w/o day pass fee. Everyone there was extremely nice and did everything possible to make our stay special. Our favorite part was watching the sun set over the sound from the outdoor hot tub in January with a bottle of ... :-)

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 February 2012

We just returned from a 3-night stay at the Sanderling. It was our first trip to the Outer Banks, and I can't think of a better place to experience it. The inn was "understated elegance" - a low-key (not stuffy) ambiance, but it was first class in every way. Service was top notch. All three meals at the casual dining restaurant were excellent. We had a wonderful (huge) corner room in the main inn, 1st floor ocean side. The sound of crashing waves lulled us to sleep every night.

We were looking for a romantic, relaxing weekend to spend without our kids, and this place served us perfectly. Though it was the off season, we still found plenty of restaurants open and loved the lack of crowds/people. We relished a rainy day to stay in and enjoy the amenities of the hotel. DH swam laps in the indoor pool, and I curled up by the fireplace in the lounge at the main inn, reading and watching the waves roll in.

Ahhhh...when can I go back?

Reviewed 5 February 2012

We returned to the Sanderling after a long absence and it is just as wonderful as we remembered! Even in the winter! It was so quiet and peaceful. The rooms are beautiful and spacious. The service, excellent. Even though it was chilly, we took many walks on the beach and along the sound. Don't miss the Audubon Society trail that follows the sound and has several overlooks. Even though most restaurants are closed, we found a couple places to eat. Our favorite was The Blue Point (rated under restaurants) and the Red Sky Cafe. Also, don't miss the huge hot tub. Great place to enjoy a cool winter afternoon!

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the main inn on the ocean side. The lower rooms have a view of the dunes and 2nd floor has views of the ocean.
2  Thank scbean
Reviewed 5 February 2012

I have been coming to the Outer Banks since 1971 and from Corolla to Ocracoke this hotel is defiantly one of the gems. When I can't muster the energy or time to drive to Ocracoke, the Sanderling Inn makes a beautiful alternative choice. Nestled in between the sound and the ocean just north of Duck you literally are ensconced between sunrises and sunsets.

We took advantage of a recent Groupon deal and I hope, hope, hope, they will do it again.

ONE drawback and I didn't downgrade them for this but the (outsourced?) telephone reservation system belies the hospitality and true nature of this resort. They tried to sell me upgrades and options in a hustle that made me feel like the Groupon deal was going to be a mistake ("check-in before 4 pm is extra" -- well in the summer I could see that, but with >20% occupancy in February???). Naturally, my first date choice was only available with upgrades, etc. Expecting to have my wallet turned inside out when I got here, I was totally disarmed by the woman at the desk. Call their direct desk number during the day!

The on-the-ground reality was very opposite of what I expected. First, the very warm and helpful front desk woman. Second, this was a genuine good deal -- a "good" bottle of free wine was awaiting us. Two free bottles of water with a welcome note! The free breakfast for two each morning included a 15% gratuity (I still left an additional 20% to the wonderful server Wanda). Warning - the breakfast is not for the feint of heart. It was one of the most robust and tasty Southern breakfasts I have experienced. A little "Sanderling" flashlight at bedside was a nice touch.

As for our room, 101, in the Main Lodge, it is probably the most modest of the rooms but it does not disappoint. It was a decent size and the bathroom was huge. However, the bathroom needs more than one hook in its vast space. The one hook at the shower was taken by my towel for the shower/tub. I had to place my clothes on the granite counters. They must spend a fortune on water conditioning because the water was very good for an area notorious for its hard water.

I found the bed hard to sleep in, it felt short and a little lumpy/hard. My wife, loved it though and thought it to be perfect. The room was clean and cozy. They should consider adding a threshold sweep to the door bottom to stop the light and hall noise from entering the room. Lots of closet space and shelves, luggage racks and bench at the end of the bed. Our deck was full sized and would be a treat in warm weather. While we could only see the dunes from the first floor room we were so close to the ocean we could walk over to it in less than a minute and we could hear the waves breaking even with the windows closed (good noise!).

We had room service one night and the food came from the regular restaurant kitchen, not the upscale restaurant, Well, you could have fooled me. The dinner was great, again very rich and very Southern just like breakfast.

Everyone of the staff we came in contact with was very warm and helpful. Even the lady in the gift shop was gracious. I noticed that when we walked in she closed her magazine (may have been work-related) and tucked it away while we were present. That kind of politeness is what makes a difference. It showed that she was there to assist us should we need it and not an intrusion.

Finally, the beauty of the Outer Banks and lure of the ocean make this a very romantic Inn. It is well-appointed, clean, full of interesting art in the Grand Gallery and lodges and a very nice and warm second floor great room with a fireplace and four volumes of the National Audubon Society's Birds of America are presented under glass. There were lost of shells on the beach and finally we sat and we watched the tiny Sanderlings running back and forth with the surf. This was a special treat -- the winter is the best time to see Sanderlings since they head to breeding grounds in the Arctic over the summer. We were captivate by their show, as they ran along the edge of the surf picking and tumbling in the sand.

We never made it to the spa or indoor pool, maybe next time. I heartily recommend the Sanderling Resort and Spa for a romantic and stressless winter break.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views, ocean or sound side. Call the hotel number direct during the day for better advice on rooms than the reservation system.
3  Thank digitscd