“Loved the old Sanderling, love the new one” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sanderling Resort

Sanderling Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Duck
Virginia
“Loved the old Sanderling, love the new one”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2013

We had a wonderful experience at the new Sanderling. As longtime fans of the property, we were eager to see the “reimagined” hotel and were delighted by the upgrades. Loved the interior design, fire pit, outdoor lap pool, restaurants and the orange beach chairs and umbrellas. The activities program is another plus — and we turned out for the visit from the volunteers from the aquarium, the evening guitarist and “magic hour” wine event where hotel managers mingled with guests. The fact that the inn offered shore fishing prompted us finally, after years of considering it, to get our own tackle and enjoy a new dimension of our beloved Outer Banks. While the Pine Island Tennis Club is no longer owned by the Sanderling, we love the place, which continues to grant discounts to guests of the inn. The Sanderling’s “lending library” featuring a terrific selection of books is another plus. Finally, the first-rate staff made us feels very welcome, as they have year after year.
No doubt we’ll be coming back time and again to this extraordinary oasis along the Atlantic.
We send our thanks to all who made our latest stay so very special.
Bravo.

1 Thank VBsfromVA
wendycoulsonmurray, Director of Sales at Sanderling Resort, responded to this review, 2 August 2013
We are thrilled that you enjoyed all the renovations. Sounds like you gave it all a try! Isn't it awesome to have so many options now on property? I have passed along your compliments to the staff and we look forward to your return.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (310)
Charlotte
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2013

My wife and I had a nice getaway weekend at the Sanderling. The staff was nice and the property was decent, BUT based on the pictures on the website and reading other reviews, I expected more upscale accommodations. Paying over $500 for a dated room, even in a great location, just wasn't worth it for me. On top of that, there were only four umbrellas at the adult pool, and people would keep there stuff there all day while they weren't even at the pool. I also had a mix up at the spa for a couples massage, which could have been avoided if they had confirmed my appointment with me at check in. The spa and the people who worked there were nice, and the beach chairs and umbrella service was great, in hindsight thought it wasn't worth the steep price and I should have chosen the Hampton Inn for $150 less per night.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review. Thank you for the compliments on our staff which I will share. Indeed we have many more services and amenities than a limited service facility and pricing does reflect that. We are evaluating the umbrellas at the pool and recognize that others have had that same comment. We do apologize for the mix up at the spa and we will ensure our team is reconfirming those appointments which is standard practice for us. We hope you will give us another chance....we do offer different price points throughout the year.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

Chef Jeffrey made this years visit special as he has stepped up the F&B presentations and service throughout the resort. We enjoyed both the pool and beach service, then getting dressed for restaurant late night dining.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
wendycoulsonmurray, Director of Sales at Sanderling Resort, responded to this review, 30 July 2013
We are so glad you enjoyed your culinary experience at the Resort this visit. We look forward to continuing to wow you with the enhanced food and beverage program.
Northern Virginia, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2013

My *new* husband and I chose the Sanderling Resort for our "destination/elopement wedding" last month:) It was actually my first time visiting the Outer Banks and my husband's first time staying in Duck. I'm so happy I stumbled upon this resort during a Google search for romantic wedding venues:)

Our room on the 3rd floor of the South Wing provided a breathtaking view of the ocean! The staff was extremely friendly and attentive, and the food (especially the breakfast room service) was beyond delicious! I'd also like to compliment the Sanderling Spa where I received my manicure and professional make-up application prior to my ceremony - Brittany (sp?) and Ashley both did an *amazing* job:)

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Congratulations! We are glad you had a memorable stay and look forward to celebrating with you for many more. We have shared your review with the staff and especially Ashley at the spa. We are glad you found us through the search engine!
Charlotte
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2013

Based off of a lot of nip-picky reveiws from Tripadvisor I wasn't sure what we were getting into as first time guests. All I can say is that I am glad my husband and I stayed there. This was our first time to the Outerbanks, and the Sanderling Resort was a great introduction to the area. The lobby was very open and inviting, and I understand before the renovation that is was the exact opposite. Also, to the horror of many reviewers we had a king room in the north wing facing the parking lot. The room was large, and we had no problems with noise. Also, we wanted our room a bit cooler, and maintenance came over right away to make the adjustment. Each morning, coffee service with a variety of newspapers was setup in each wing of the resort. As part of the resort fee, you are able to call ahead to have chairs and umbrellas set up. I loved that! I spent time at both the family pool and adult pool (can't imagine the resort not having pools before the renovation!) I had no problem getting towels at either pool. I do agree that the adult pool should have more umbrellas. While we were there, the main firepit was lit up. It was so beautiful sitting out there. My only suggestion is to have longer sticks for the marshmallows because it did get comical watching people jump back when the wind blew the fire in their direction. There was nightly turn down service with a little box of taffy by the bed with a "Sweet Dreams" note that would give you weather and activities going on the next day.
Also, one day during our visit, there was a happy hour for the hotel guests in the main building. There was a open bar and a nice spread of food. The staff, that you usually don't see, came out for this as a meet and great. I thought this was very successful.
We loved this resort and the area. I don't know how often we will be visiting the Outerbanks in the future, but if we do, we will definitely stay at the Sanderling Resort.

1 Thank jamran
wendycoulsonmurray, Director of Sales at Sanderling Resort, responded to this review, 14 August 2013
So glad you had a chance to visit the Outer Banks and thank you for staying at the Sanderling. We appreciate you taking the time to tell other visitors about your stay. We hope it will encourage others to visit. We'll work in longer sticks! Hope to see you soon
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2013

The Sanderling is a true treasure out in Outer Banks. With all the traffic that one can experience on that secluded yet busy road, its great feel that when you arrive at the Sanderling, all the stresses disappear. With the expansion, everything you desire is there for those who want seaside or pool side relaxation. Furthermore, prior to the expansion, it was well suited for couples and singles - now there is something there for everyone. The best feeling one takes from the development is families, couples, and singles dont feel out of place. Everyone has their space to enjoy the peace and quiet of the Sanderling.

NOTE : I did notice that they have a service I think 2x a day where they can create events for kids so parents can have that chance to take that personal time - thats genius!!

Anyway, there is nothing that compares to the Sanderling in the Outer Banks!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
wendycoulsonmurray, Director of Sales at Sanderling Resort, responded to this review, 13 August 2013
We are glad your stresses disappear when you arrive on the Outer Banks and the Sanderling. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to your return.
Pittsburgh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Sanderling for our honeymoon a few weeks ago. Overall, we loved the property. We had never stayed there before, but had been in the building before the renovations, and can say that the facelift they did was a great improvement. The building, on the other hand, could still use a few improvements to the rooms. There were some minor wear and tear issues, such as loose tiles in the bathroom, damaged drywall in the indoor stairwell that leads to the outside from the 2nd floor of the beach house (not to mention the mess of ants and bugs), and a few other minor issues. I trust that they will be updating more of the rooms during the off seasons to match the condition of the lobby and common areas.

The positives we experienced included excellent service by the front desk and staff at the beach and sand bar. We had a minor issue with our keycards not working upon check in, and the front desk staff was very polite and professional in their helping us. The beach staff was very friendly and quick to set us up with an umbrella and chairs when we needed them. I tried to tip one of the staff on the first day and he told me they do not accept tips as this is covered by the $25.00 a day resort fee. A less scrupulous employee would have simply pocketed the tip, so he impressed me greatly. The food at the Sand Bar was excellent. My wife enjoyed her pulled pork sandwich, and the hamburger I had may very well have been the best hamburger I have ever had in my life ... I'm not even exaggerating.

The fire pits are very nice enough though we did not get to roast smores due to rain the two nights we were in the mood to. The adult pool is an excellent addition for those of us who don't want to be around other peoples' kids, and the family pool is very nice.

For the glaring negatives - the adult pool has a severe lack of umbrellas. You have to grab a spot under one early in the day or else it is hard to enjoy laying by the pool in the harsh sun.

Housekeeping was painfully slow. We witnessed a housekeeper reading a newspaper out in the open in the sitting area of the Beach House. Housekeeping actually missed cleaning our room one day, and I will say as someone who travels for work and has spent 100's of nights a year in hotels - this was a first for me.

In summary, this is a very nice property, overall friendly staff, nice location, and makes for a great, romantic, getaway. We definitely plan on staying here again and will recommend this property to others. We hope that Sanderling continues to improve and build on the great qualities they already have.

My wife used the spa across the street, and said it was excellent.

Oh, and PS .. to the guests who complained about noise from other guests enjoying the fire pit. This is a hotel. You are staying here with other guests. If you want total solitude, go rent a beach house on the 4x4 beaches away from other people. I'm sorry if you came to the hotel for "peace and quiet", but the guests who came to enjoy themselves paid just as much (if not more) than you did.

Room Tip: The sound side still offers beautiful views (you can see the sunset from your porch!)