“We loved this place” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Duck
Elmwood Park, New Jersey
“We loved this place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

I was here with my girlfriend and our 1 year old son Jack. From the time we pulled up to the front door until the time we left, the service and people there were top notch! The bell men were nothing but friendly and helpful. The front desk staff had smiles on their faces and well as kind words to say.

Our room was nice and big enough for what we needed. The bed was SOOO comfortable!!
Elizabeth at the front desk was very helpful with any questions we had as well as getting us reservations at local restaurants.
Our son had fun at the kiddy pool and the beach was clean. The weather could have been better, but that is not the resorts fault.
We definitely coming back next year, ( but next time I think we are going to bring our adult friends and leave the kids at home. :) )
All I can say is I loved this place and you are sure to as well. Tell your friends!!!!

Clarence Steele

Room Tip: The south wing has the best rooms.
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
sanderlingresort, Manager at Sanderling Resort, responded to this review, 3 September 2014
Thank you so much for spreading the word and planning your return trip with friends. We are glad you found the property so inviting and will pass along your kind words to our team. They are amazing. See you soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

We just spent a few days at this resort, and it was amazing. Elisabeth checked us in and she was the best front desk person ever. She was so informative and professional, and she helped us plan our visit to Duck. The rooms were wonderful with great linens and toiletries. The restaurant at the hotel had the worst service ever, but the one across the street was wonderful, and the wines were priced very well if you prefer premium bottles. We will be back for sure. One tip, try to avoid checking in Saturdays, the traffic is terrible, and can add an hour to pass through the small town.

Room Tip: Our room was lovely, but did not have a tub, so if you like tubs, you might want to ask. The ocean s...
      Cleanliness
2 Thank GeneandJulie
Thank you for your review and we appreciate the feedback. We are sorry that we did not meet your expectations in the Lifesaving Station and will continue to work to improve that. Note to other travelers: Saturday arrivals are a turnover day for all the homes in the area which affects July 4th to Labor Day weekend. We hope you will come back to join us again soon.
Chincoteague Island, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

I know some think the Sanderling is a bit pricey, but the outer banks can be during the peak season. The Sanderling is well worth the money. We have gone to the Outer Banks many times and have stayed in other hotels and even rented a house, but this was our first time at The Sanderling. It will not be my last time though. The resort thinks of everything. You really don't need to bring anything with you other than your clothes. I loved calling in the morning and having them set up an umbrella and chairs on the beach for us without any extra fees. The adult pool was excellent for those of us who came for a quiet get away. Our room was very nice and loved the carafe of water left for us every day. The s'mores kit was a very nice touch. Loved all the wood furnishings and flooring as well. My only regret was that I did not order a picnic lunch. I intended to and forgot. I saw several couples on the beach with them and was so jealous. Maybe next time. Nice job Sanderling because I am not one to write many reviews unless I am extremely impressed!

Room Tip: Loved south wing.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Traci1203
We appreciate you taking the time to write such a thoughtful review and so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We are glad you decided to try the Sanderling during your Outer Banks vacation. We'll see you back soon for that picnic lunch on the beach!
Arlington, VA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

I am back for a second year. As I said last year, the location is wonderful. Right on the beach. Great pools. Love that there are beach chairs and umbrellas available to all guests. However, having been here now 5 days, here are some additional observations:

1. Sandbar staff is great. Friendly and efficient.
2. Front desk staff are great as well.
3. Beach personnel are helpful and work hard to set up beach chairs and umbrellas for everyone. Only recommendation is that when the ONE garbage can by the top of the stairs is overflowing, to empty it out. Overflowing every single afternoon I was here.
4. Rooms are spacious and clean.
5. Housekeeping is good except for the fact that they don't seem to want to give us shampoo or conditioner or body wash. I leave my empty ones right by the sink and I get back and still don't have new ones. Has to call twice to get replacements.
6. Adult pool service is almost non existent despite the $25 dollar resort fee per room. Examples:
1. Garbage/dirty dishes pile up from people who are by pool.
2. dirty towels remain discarded on chairs and no one clears them so people think there are no chairs available
3. pool water has a layer of nastiness at one end that looks disgusting
4. If you are lucky enough to see a server at the adult pool, they tell you they are only there until 2 because they then have to do work at a different station,
Why 2 pm??
5. No towels in sight. Maybe they are there at 10 am but once the bucket of towels is gone, they aren't replenished.

I spoke to the manager today because after 5 days, I was frustrated. She listened and immediately sent someone to get the garbage and discarded towels. Clean towels just arrived about 30 minutes later. So talking to management works. Just frustrated that I needed to talk to someone. Should be automatic when people are paying $400 plus a night!

All in all, it's a gorgeous facility but these kinks have still not been addressed. I would absolutely return because it's the nicest hotel in Duck. But I so wish I didn't have negatives to

• Stayed August 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Chaseferrari
We appreciate you returning and having us another opportunity this year. You are absolutely correct these items you mentioned are not acceptable and while you should not have experienced them we have discussed solutions to resolve each of them. We hope on your next visit we can get an A+. We appreciate the review and allowing us the opportunity to continue to meet traveler's needs and expectations.
Charlottesville, VA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

This was my first visit to The Sanderling property however I’ve been vacationing in OBX for over 30 years. I stayed here for four nights with another friend and her three teenage daughters. My friend had booked a suite and asked for the one suite they have that is all on one level. When we checked in they only had available for us the other suite that has a loft with stairs to the bedroom and bathroom. I am disabled so the lack of elevator in the main building was bad enough but the suite with steps made it worse. We asked what they could do to make our stay more comfortable and they basically would do nothing to help. I asked for two adjoining rooms on the first level but they would not accommodate us. I found it strange since we checked in on a Friday and by Monday the resort was dead. We felt like we had our own private resort.

On our second night we did not receive turn down service and called the front desk for it but no one came. Our room was not made up until late in the afternoon which was inconvenient since we were returning from the beach to shower. During the day I went to the room and found the staff hanging around talking to one another and not working.

Plan to be nickelled and dimed on top of the high room rate and other room charges. Nothing is for free but the coffee and papers in the morning. I’ve stayed at other 5 star resorts that charge these prices and breakfast is included. We were given one s’mores kit with the room but after that you have to buy them at the front desk. I’d suggest bringing the ingredients to take down to the fire pits at night.

I used the spa to shower to avoid going up the steps in the loft. Each afternoon the ladies spa bathroom was filled with dirty towels and robes and appeared to not have been cleaned all day. On one of my visits there was no one working the front desk.

Our suite was spacious but lacked furniture to store our belongings. We all lived out of our suitcases and tote bags. The kitchen had plenty of room for a full size refrigerator but instead it only had a cube size frig. The pull out queen sofa was budget to say the least and very uncomfortable. The roll away bed that the resort charged us thirty-five dollars a day for was like sleeping on concrete.

The girls took surfing lessons and had a great experience. Well worth the money. The staff will set up a spot for you at the beach. I enjoyed the tranquility pool and the hot tub had great jets. The food was good in the outside grill. The free morning coffee is awesome.

The Sanderling is a nice property but I expected more from a resort charging the prices they demand. It would have been cheaper to rent a beach house for a week and just stay the four nights. If you are disabled this is not a disabled friendly resort. I had a nice four nights but will not come back at the current prices. NO PETS

Room Tip: If you are disabled asked a lot of questions. Also ask about all the additional fees they tack on t...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
      Rooms
3 Thank Patty G
wendycoulsonmurray, Guest Relations Manager at Sanderling Resort, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
We do regret that we did not meet all your expectations but glad to hear that many of the amenities were enjoyed. We have gone back and reviewed the recorded reservation and additional calls prior to arrival where the loft suite was explained in detail and other options were given but would require a room move. Indeed during the entire stay the Resort was at full capacity (as stated by other travelers it may appear to be empty). We do apologize for missing turndown the one evening. We hope we can work with you again to make a future stay more comfortable.
Round Rock, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

A wonderful experience for our family of 6! We thoroughly enjoyed our four night stay at The Sanderling. We stayed in the North Building by the family pool and greatly enjoyed easy access to the pool and hot tub area, as well as the beach. The beach was extremely private and beautiful. We enjoyed our meals at The Life Station restaurant, and ordered lunches by the pool. An afternoon at the Spa was relaxing and rejuvenating. I would highly recommend this outstanding resort.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for visiting with the family this summer. We are glad you enjoyed all the amenities of the property and look forward to your return!
Washington, DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

Last minute vacation to OBX - stayed 4 nights at the Sanderling. Loved it despite the rainy weather. Staff is impeccable - most notably Nancy at front desk and Shawn at Blonde Onyx Bar. Room was very comfortable and I loved the improvements to the Beach House (main hotel), esp. adult salt water pool and jacuzzi. Enjoyed the spa but it is showing its age. Indoor pool not at all inviting and there's no sauna and just an old steam room in ladies locker room. I hear a renovation is forthcoming next year and hope this will be addressed. Otherwise, spa staff is helpful but not diligent about clearing out laundry hampers - one day they were overflowing as staff walked right by. Towels in both spa and Inn need replacing - very worn. Kimball's Kitchen is a welcome addition to the property - food and service is excellent. Nancy provided excellent restaurant recommendations and was very helpful throughout my stay. I'll return next year, possibly w/family in tow!

Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank W0rldTraveler2008
wendycoulsonmurray, Director of Sales at Sanderling Resort, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
So glad you took a few days for R & R and yes despite the rain at the beach that is possible. We appreciate your feedback on the team members (and we will be sure to share) and on the spa. We can't wait to welcome you back next year (with family in tow)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Duck
Hampton Inn & Suites Outer Banks/ Corolla
Hilton Garden Inn Outer Banks/Kitty Hawk
Sea Ranch Resort
Sea Ranch Resort
#1 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanf...
#4 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,132 reviews
Holiday Inn Express Nags Head Oceanfront
Hamilton Cay at Bermuda Bay
Hamilton Cay at Bermuda Bay
#15 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills

Been to Sanderling Resort? Share your experiences!