“Juice Nazis”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Duck
Advice 5 Cents, a bed & breakfast
Ranked #1 of 3 Duck B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 May 2008

A friend and I stayed here for a weekend. There were four or five other guests at the time. I guess the proprietors are sort of hospitality-challenged, as other travelers report, but we didn't care. What pissed us off was the "breakfast" portion of the experience. There was plenty of coffee and tea, but the muffins (homemade but reheated in the microwave) were the miniature type and the owners were slow to refill the basket when it emptied (in about four seconds flat), as if hoping we might forget about eating and leave before they had to expend any more resources on us. There were some cantaloupe slices, and a tiny, tiny little glass of orange juice (one per guest, no refills). I dunno. I guess we felt paying $170/day entitled us to be fed more substantially, e.g. eggs, cereal, bacon, ham, kibble... ANYTHING that would fill our bellies. We needed somethin' to eat, man! When the owners were out of the room, we commiserated with our fellow inmates, straining to hear 'em over the roar in our stomachs. One guy whispered that he'd spotted a pancake house up the road. So, one by one each party slipped out of Stalag 5 and made their way to the restaurant. Still going to Advice 5 Cents? Enjoy your pretty room and your 2.1 ounces of juice.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank Adventurer09

Reviewed 27 July 2006

This was the first bed and breakfast experience my husband and I have had. We were pleased with our overall visit.

Some of the other reviews mentioned the innkeepers were not very friendly - I found that to be true, but we prefer it that way.

The breakfast and coffee each morning was terrific. Just enough and healthy choices.

We stayed in the Daybreak Room - they consider it a suite. I would not call it a suite. It is the only room with a TV and a radio. I think it was overpriced for what we got.

The pictures are a bit deceiving - I thought the property was closer to the beach. It was, however, centrally located between the town of Duck and the beach.

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank WAREAGLE2
Reviewed 27 July 2006

My wife and I look forward to our trip to the Outer Banks. Our original plan was to stay at Advice 5 Cents. I read the other reviews, which are mixed, and proceeded with optimism. After booking a regular room back in April, my wife decided an upgrade to the suite would be a nice touch. She called and left information with someone on their end. We were told we would be "penciled in" for the suite and our credit card deposit would be adjusted. Early this week, we decided to check in and see if everything was in order. It wasn't, and the staff there could not have been more unpleasant. Nancy, who is "the only one" who would take reservations, had no knowledge of the change. A simple, "I'm sorry for the confusion" would have made all the difference. Instead, my wife was made to feel as if she were lying about the previous phone call. To cut this short, we decided that if it was this unpleasant and cold dealing with them over the phone, a stay there would not be what we hoped for. We are instead staying at the The Inn at Corolla Light in Corolla. I'll keep you posted when we return.

Stayed: July 2006, travelled as a couple
5  Thank SteveOnTheRoad
Reviewed 21 December 2005

The setting is quite beautiful, the house is nice, near the beach and this B&B has the potential for greatness.

However, the angry couple that runs this particular B&B should do something else because during my stay it was quite apparent that they were not interested in having guests stay with them. They were unfriendly, unavailable, and there is no kitchen access. I mean really, one of the reasons I like B&Bs is because I can grab a midnight snack out of the fridge, not to mention interact with friendly people while I stay in their home.

What really burns me, though, is the lack of attention to the guest. We arrived 15 minutes after 5pm and they didn't even have the decency to leave us a cookie (one nice thing about this place is they do afternoon tea from 3-5pm with homemade cookies - but don't get there after 5 because you won't get squat except a note with rules to follow on it).

I also mentioned to the owners a couple of times that I was celebrating an engagement weekend with my partner. Not once did they even acknowledge or ask about us, no congratulations, no chocolates, and NO I WILL NEVER STAY HERE AGAIN.

• Stayed: September 2005
6  Thank calvoncito
A TripAdvisor Member
Washington
Reviewed 9 October 2005

We stayed at Advice 5 Cents for two nights, and realized after our stay that it is not just the beauty of the room or of the setting that is important in a wonderful Bed and Breakfast experience, but the warmth and humor of the owners, as well. We have no complaints about the room, as it was lovely (if a bit deceptively advertised...the "sitting room" was just the space at the foot of the bed where two chairs and a table had been placed). The breakfasts were tasty as was the afternoon treat.

However, the owners seem like people who would like to be doing something other than running the B&B they have worked so hard to create. We found them to be impersonal and unavailable, as a general rule. As another poster noted, arrival anytime after 5 means that you will be greated at the door with an envelope with room keys and list of rules, first of which is that breakfast is served from 8:30-9:00 a.m. and not a minute after. As we learned, you must take advantage of this 30 minute time slot since it is the only time you will be able to interact with the owners and ask them questions about the area. When not eating breakfast, we found that we could not expect the owners to initiate conversations with us. In fact, outside of 2, 20 minute breakfasts, a 2 minute conversation about an issue with the room, a 30 second reprimand for going in an unmarked, yet "restricted" area, and the 10 minutes it took to pay our bill, we didn't see or speak to our hosts at all.

Perhaps we hit them at a particularly difficult time, and they are usually warm and friendly. However, although on paper, it seems like a lovely place to stay, I would never recommend Advice 5 Cents to anyone. As an avid supporter and lover of bed and breakfasts, this was quite a disappointment.

• Stayed: September 2005
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 28 August 2005

Having sent two e-mails to Advice 5 Cents (both of which were concise and asked simple, easy to answer questions) and receiving no reply, I have given up on attempting to stay here and will continue to stay at the Surfside.
Here's some advice - and it's FREE! How about answering your potential customers e-mails!

• Stayed: August 2005
7  Thank MrFabulous46
Reviewed 21 August 2005

The inn is beautiful as are the rooms. Having stayed in many bed and breakfasts though, this inn is run like a business and not a typical bed and breakfast. You MUST check in only between 3 and 5. If you want to come at any other time, forget it. Since we arrived in the early afternoon, we just wanted to ask how to get around and what there was to see. The door was LOCKED. While I know that the two owners have other jobs, their first one should be to their clients if we are paying room rates in the 170-200 range. We did not find them friendly at all. They also display a list of rules and ask you to read them as soon as possible. We just have never seen this type of reception. Everything was business. So, if you are looking for a place that is pretty and convenient, this is it. If you are hoping to relax with the hosts and find out the best of everything in the area, this is not the place (unless of course you are available between 3 and 5).

• Stayed: August 2005
5  Thank class66
Also consider these accommodations in or near Duck
Hilton Garden Inn Outer Banks/Kitty Hawk
Hampton Inn & Suites Outer Banks / Corolla
Baymont Inn & Suites Kitty Hawk Outer Banks
Sea Ranch Resort
Sea Ranch Resort
#1 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devi...
#5 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Surf Side Hotel
Surf Side Hotel
#1 of 13 in Nags Head

Been to Advice 5 Cents, a bed & breakfast? Share your experiences!