“Great Breakfast, OK rooms, Nice trail.”

Sheraton Imperial Hotel Raleigh-Durham Airport at Research Triangle Park
Ranked #31 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed 23 September 2013

This is my #3 favorite near RDU airport. I'm in Durham every month or so, and sometimes my favorites are booked up for our corporate rate, so I try others. Hilton Garden on Miami is my hands down favorite with the Homewood Suites on Miami at #2. This Sheraton is 1 exit closer to RDU airport, at I40 and Page Rd. This is now my #3.

Pluses:

The walking or jogging track around the area is great and is something that the 2 Hilton properties don't offer.

The pool and outdoor fireplace are great places to hang out and talk.

The shuttle is quick from the airport and the drivers are very helpful and flexible. Call when you land, unless you checked a bag. Contrasted with the shuttle guy at the Marriott on Miami, this shuttle is wonderful! They will take you anywhere in the park and can be flexible on the schedule.

Check out is quick, if you ask for an email of your receipt, and ignore the line. Otherwise, allow some time.

Breakfast is fantastic if it is included in your rate. Pricy if not, but worth it. It is very good with an omelet bar and lots of hot and fresh items.

My rate included WiFi and was very strong.

Not so good:

Checking in took me 15 minutes on 2 separate occasions. Their computer requires a lot of input and typing. I was #4 or 5 in line, so I had time to watch. It takes a good 5 minutes for a person to get checked in and handed a key. If there are 4 or 5 people getting off a shuttle from the airport, that can take 20 minutes or so. It happened to me. Twice!

The lobby is renovated and nice, but the rooms are still a bit dated. Clean and okay, but not up to the decor of the Hilton Garden or size of the Homewood.

Layout is confusing for first timers. The best entry is down by the independent fitness club, not through the lobby. Parking is a hike if you are carrying anything.

Fitness is next door and has it's own hours.

If you find this review helpful, please click on helpful below. Also, check out my reviews of other hotels in RDU.

Room Tip: If your morning workout is a walk or run outside, this place is GREAT! If you need an indoor workou...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank joelinda
SIHCC, Customer Service Manager at Sheraton Imperial Hotel Raleigh-Durham Airport at Research Triangle Park, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2013

Dear Joelinda:
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments about your overall experience at the Sheraton Imperial Hotel. Our Team takes great pride in providing excellent service to our guests. I am glad to hear that we are on your preferred hotel list. Please let me assure you that we want to exceed our guest’s expectations. Our commitment is to work on any areas that any guest mentions. We could not improve or change without our guest’s feedback, so again, thank you so much for your review. We appreciate your business and hope that if you will continue to let us be your choice hotel in the future.

Reviewed 15 September 2013

Stayed here for approx 10 days last August while on business in the area. Hotel is generally pretty good - looking a bit tired in some places. Inclusion of starbucks in the lobby and starbucks in rooms is a good bonus! Good size of room and good service across the board. Bar and restaurant staff particularly helpful and free shuttle service was helpful. Pool area well maintained and good size for hotel pool - downside of there being no on-site gym.

Service generally good - a couple of issues with bill and charging on check in/out (given a letter on check in stating complimentary fridge placed in room but had to ask for one. Then tried to charge me for it at check out). That said, issues quickly and efficiently resolved when highlighted to desk staff, so no major complaints there.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Peter B
SIHCC, Customer Service Manager at Sheraton Imperial Hotel Raleigh-Durham Airport at Research Triangle Park, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2013

Dear Peter B:
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments about your overall experience at the Sheraton Imperial Hotel. Our Team takes great pride in providing excellent service to our guests. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your guest room as well as some of the offered amenities here at our hotel. I shared with the Front Desk Manager your review for training purposes. While it is disappointing to hear we did not exceed your expectations we are very grateful that you have offered us the details needed to pinpoint areas in which we should focus our attention. Again, thank you for sharing your review and we hope that you will visit us if your future travels bring you to the Durham area.

Reviewed 8 September 2013

Stayed a single night in September. Super nice staff. Room was spacious, with a terrible artificial smell that ended up giving me a terrible headache. Bathroom was clean, but small. Good bed, pillows and linens. Wifi was slow, but free. There is no gym in the hotel--have to use the fitness center next door, which opens at 8 am on Saturday and 10 am on Sunday and is equipped with many cardio machines that aren't kept in good repair. The elliptical machine I used (the only one that didn't shake and squeak) was partially disassembled and rusty. Check in and check out was super easy. Didn't try food or room service, but both were available on site. Free bottled water, but no in room refrigerator,

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Alice M

Dear ADMA:
Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Sheraton Imperial Hotel and for sharing your experience. I apologize for your headache. If we get the opportunity to have you as a guest in the future, please feel free to call ahead so that a room with a window is reserved. Or, let us know in advance that you would like to reserve a fragrance fee room. Your review will be shared with Fitness Connection General Manager. Please let me assure you that we want to exceed our guest’s expectations. Our commitment is to work on any areas that any guest mentions. We could not improve or change without our guest’s feedback, so again, thank you so much for your review. We appreciate your business and hope that you will visit our hotel in the future.

Reviewed 26 August 2013

I was in Durham for a job interview and the company had booked me at the Sheraton Imperial so I really did not have a say in where I stayed. That being said, I do have the Starwood Preferred Guest(SPG) Gold status, thanks to the Amex Platinum Card,and paid a little extra to be upgraded to a King Suite on the SPG floor. First the positives..the hotel is clean (but did smell of chemicals in the public areas... don't know why they can't use something more subtle ). Our check-in attendant was very friendly and the room itself was very close to the elevators and the parking so bringing in luggage was very easy.The room service food was very good and there are quite a few restaurants that deliver food to the Sheraton so you do have some choices if you want room service but would like some variety.

However, that is where the positives stop. here are the negatives

1) Room - The King suite did not have a Microwave... it is perhaps the only hotel that I have stayed in ,where a king suite on a Preferred Guest Floor lacks a microwave... it became a pain because I had my family with me (including a 6 month old infant) and we had to make sure that no matter what his mood , we finished eating food right away because of the lack of microwave..

Also, the bedroom and the living room areas had no doors/partitions for additional privacy .. I would expect this in a $200+ Suite.

There was no Mini-Bar or snacks in the room and the beds were almost too soft to the point of being uncomfortable.

2) Service- Despite the pleasant check-in experience , the service was very unpredictable and just rude on some occasions ... on one occasion , I tried to get sneakers from the car to go to the Fitness center and suddenly the access card stopped working and I was locked out .When I called the front desk from the public access phone , they said " let's see if we can send someone to let you in "... 5 -10 mins later, someone lets me in.. no apologies.. no offer to help .. asks me to go to the front desk and resolve this...keep in mind that I was using the rear exit and it is a little walk to the front desk. At the front desk, I am told that this happens a lot when the access cards are near the cell phone (First , no one ever told me this and second, me and my wife spent the rest of the stay worried about where the cards were placed relative to the cell phone.. we certainly did not want us to be locked out with our Infant in 90+ degree heat).

I was surprised that still , no one cared to apologize .. I was asked for identification (luckily, I had my wallet or things would have become more complicated). I was also told that normally, they charge $7 for access to the fitness center but because of my room, it was free. A hotel of this size and in this location should not charge money for access to the Fitness center .. period .. so if you need access to fitness center, you need to pay more to upgrade to a room with free access or pay $7/person/day .

I got new access cards and could get back into the hotel from the rear entrance but now , I couldn't get into my room.. I did have a word with the manager and it is only because of the fact that she sent me a written apology and issued me a new set of access cards quickly that I am giving the property even 3 stars.

3) Food - There was complimentary breakfast in the Club Lounge on the 9th floor , exclusively for SPG guests but again , it is only served from 6-9am on weekdays and 6-9:30am on Weekends ,so if you are in the area for pleasure or have family , you really need to be up early to take advantage of the complimentary feature..we did end up ordering room service breakfast but on at least one occasion , they forgot sending any salt/pepper/Ketchup with the Omelette and the Hash Browns and on another , the toast came without any Jam/Honey as described on the menu.

To sum it all up,I would not stay at the Sheraton again... The service is not consistent, the rooms lack amenities and you need to pay to have access to the fitness center.. I am sure there are other hotels in the area that would provide better value for money.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
SIHCC, Customer Service Manager at Sheraton Imperial Hotel Raleigh-Durham Airport at Research Triangle Park, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2013

Dear Bohemianguy2001:
We do take pride in our excellent hotel, and we sincerely regret that this guest's experience was not up to our normal high standards. Please let me assure you that we want to exceed our guest’s expectations. Our commitment is to work on any areas that any guest mentions. We could not improve or change without our guest’s feedback, so again, thank you so much for your review. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Reviewed 24 August 2013

We had a wonderful one-night stay at the Sheraton Imperial Hotel and Convention Center. We had a quick check in by very friendly staff. The room was amazing! Very clean and spacious with every toiletry you could need and evenhad Starbucks Coffee in the room. The convention room was huge and we had a wonderful tounament, then a pool party afterwards at the large outdoor pool. Overall, I was very impressed!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Dear JenMitch302:
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience at the Sheraton Imperial Hotel on Trip Advisor. We were grateful to have the opportunity to host your event. Whenever reading about guest’s experiences, I am always so elated to read that the service is one to be remembered. We genuinely want each department to find their ways to ensure the guest has the best experience at Sheraton Imperial during their stay. We have some awesome team members who are passionate about serving our guest. Thank you for your business and we look forward to serving you again in the future.

Reviewed 22 August 2013

As I was going to bed on our last of three nights, I was all set to give this place a 4. The facility is definitely a 3, but the staff had been so great that I would bump it up to a 4. Then came the next morning when we were woken up at 8:00 and 9:30 by a housekeeper. I wouldn't have been nearly so upset if it weren't for the fact that, upon check-in, we were specifically asked what time of morning we would be checking out and we said we would not be checking out until the 12:00 check-out time. We were there to take the NC Bar Exam and knew we would want to sleep in after two days of getting up early to take six hours worth of exam a day. When we did check-out (right before noon, as predicted), we registered a complaint and were told that, because it's a business hotel, they just assume that everyone's gone by 8:00 am. Why ask us upon check-in if they're just going to ignore it and assume everyone has left anyway? When we asked the lady at the front desk that very question, she just started her explanation about it being a business hotel over again and never made any real apology. So, if you want any chance of sleeping past 8:00 am, don't stay here.

Like I said, the facility was completely average. The building has obviously been renovated recently enough, but there was nothing particularly special about it. I did not find the bed terribly comfy, even though other people seem to love them. The carpet really needs a cleaning too; the bottoms of my white socks were very brown by the end of the day.

Aside from the overeager housekeeper and the unacceptable response to our complaint from the front desk, the service was excellent. We had a great conversation with the lady who checked us in. We had a problem with our toilet, so we called down to the front desk as we were about to leave the room. Before we had a chance to leave, there was a maintenance man at our door. Housekeeping did keep the room nicely cleaned up, even though we had bar review books and materials thrown everywhere.

Bottom line: this hotel simply isn't worth the price they charge ($171 was the standard rate during our stay) unless you are there for some special event, like a conference or the bar exam. There are several other hotels right around that are more reasonable and better rated. Also, know that there's a very limited selection of restaurants around the hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms by the entrances and elevators. Room 124 was by both.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kelly K
SIHCC, Customer Service Manager at Sheraton Imperial Hotel Raleigh-Durham Airport at Research Triangle Park, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2013

Dear Ms Kelly L:
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments about your overall experience at the Sheraton Imperial Hotel. Let me apologize for the disruption of your scheduled sleep in. Unfortunately, we dropped the ball on this request. I trust you will accept that the difficulties you experienced are certainly not reflective of our normal standards. Let me assure you that your comments are not taking lightly and were shared with the Director of Housekeeping and the Front Desk Manager for training purposes. Again, thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Reviewed 19 August 2013

5-day road trip with family. This was night 2. We spent 4 nights in 4 hotels reserving 2 rooms at each hotel, but this was the only night we had connecting rooms. What a convenient difference. Patricia, at registration, was welcoming, friendly, and efficient - so nice after a hard day of travel. Douglas, our bellhop, was wonderfully attentive, calm (never rushing us), and helpful (useful advice included). The rooms were comfortable and clean. This was also the only facility with convenient parking on the premises for our oversized vehicle . . . and it was free! Such a nice change. This Sheraton saved us the aggravation and frustration involved with parking, valets, and congestion (because we take up too much space while off-loading luggage). This was the only hotel where we didn't have to ask multiple times for a luggage cart. The services provided felt comfortable and personal.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Dear Mr. Burleson:
Thank you for taking the time out not only to visit our property but to leave a review on your experience with us. At Sheraton Imperial, we take much pride in satisfying our guests at all times. Your feedback will be shared with the Sheraton Team. Again, thank you for all your valuable comments. If your future travels bring you to the Durham area again, we hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve as your hotel of choice.
Diane T